Survival Sewing Kit

I need to either buy a kit, or make a survival sewing kit. Things that are MUST:

1.Heavy-Duty Needle & Thread (everything i'm finding is a POS)
2. No cheap, fall-apart, walmart-type junk

Anyone?

Make your own. You can buy heavy (canvass) needles in crafts stores, also get some kevlar thread (countycom.com), plus get a pack of sewing machine bobbins. Bobbins are great for holding thread, but also great for carrying fishing line and snare wire.

I'd also add a suture kit if I was you. You do not want to use a straight needle to give yourself stitches.

Use carpet or leather needles and waxed thread. Throw in a few wraps of duct tape, some small plastic cable ties and safety pins.

Jeff

Synthetic sinew is a handy thing to have, too. It can be used for sewing, wrapping, fishing line, etc.

This is the one Magnussen recommends:

sewingkitlarge.jpg

TF

I need to either buy a kit, or make a survival sewing kit. Things that are MUST:

1.Heavy-Duty Needle & Thread (everything i'm finding is a POS)
2. No cheap, fall-apart, walmart-type junk

Anyone?

So you want a survival sewing kit? Try this.

Definitely not walmart-type junk. :D

Doc

Here's one I built for a pocket PSK after seeing something similar posted here.

I used an empty ballpoint ink cartridge and slid on some rubber washers. Wound between the washers: duct tape, spyder wire, cotton thread and braided line, copper wire, dental floss over some sinew. The assorted needles ride inside the center tube and I stuck a button compass on the end.
PSKneedles.jpg

good stuff guys,

Certainly buy your own stuff separately, store boughten sewing kits usually leave you desiring something more, its like making a survival kit, pre made ones aren't usually what you are looking for.

I use carpet thread, very heavy duty stuff, works for almost anything, and its in at all craft stores.

Put a good strong metal thimble in there, too.
An absolute godsend when trying to sew tough nylon, leather or canvas items.

Dental floss makes excellent thread. Get the waxed pull hte spool out of the box.

Buy an ssortment of needles and contact a supplier and pick up some glovers needles.

Army Navy Stores sale those German Surplus Sewing kits ,they look pretty nice and in a OD Green canvas holder... I'm going to snag one....

Ramm9:

I like your set-up.
where did you get your needles? I've looked around all my local shops...nothing.

Back