survival situation -> start without a knife/tools & make one!

just had to share this yt vid... amazing to see him create everything from absolute scratch -> clay crucible, forge/stove, coal making ... then a blade after what must have been days

anyway - thought you'd all enjoy this
share thoughts/comments ; )

Thanks, only a few minutes in and saving the rest for later, but looks good so far. :thumbsup:

it's very weird, imho, how they can be so relentlessly able to spend weeks doing the raw processing parts to even start to get the forge going properly...

then build a super tiny hut with wood, cutting it down to small brick sizes, instead of using natural long lengths, and then use hundreds of wooden dowels to put it back together again

and... on top of it all, leave pretty big gaps everywhere... guess they like to be eaten by insects?

sorry a lot of basic parts like that make me think these are all 100% bs in terms of actual use

Yeah, he did seem to do a lot the hard way, but if he really did all that by himself it was still pretty impressive. I liked the dowel method of assembling the woodwork, but making a bunch of small blocks instead of using longer lengths made little sense.

Well, I’ll buck the trend. I think the small block method might have been for two purposes. First, some airflow. Second, aesthetics. Folks tend to discount aesthetics when looking at primitive skills, confusing basic survival with primitive living.

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed that.

just had to share this yt vid... amazing to see him create everything from absolute scratch -> clay crucible, forge/stove, coal making ... then a blade after what must have been days

anyway - thought you'd all enjoy this
share thoughts/comments ; )
Great vid. There is just something magical about watching a person make all the tools

Reactions: JM2
the reason for doing things the hard way is that it generates more views on YouTube. I haven’t watched this video but I have watched other videos similar to other content he posts.
Consider, he has over 5M subscribers, this video has over 7.5M views. Some of his videos have over 90M views. Sources I have seen say that advertising can bring in $0.10 per view. Any way you cut it, those viewing numbers represent a considerable income stream.
All the constructions I have seen on other “primitive” tropical location videos have been as practical as a chocolate coffee pot. They generated similarly impressive viewing numbers. I no longer waste time watching them.

yeah, I've noticed similar things... it always shocks me at how generous comments are - like 'amazing great quality home build vid' - meanwhile they have not levelled anything, have raw wood into the earth (might last a couple of years at most), and slap sticks together for 'walls' that will allow every critter inside...

I've also stopped watching those, but I do appreciate the good quality, actual builder vids where they know what they're doing...
like most of the internet, separating the wheat from chaff is the bigger problem over time
all the algorithms only reward view counts, not quality nor intelligence, so you get a definite echo chamber of idiots with high views

I can't stand 95+% of the trending or popular vids

Back