Survival Skills ,Techniques,Ect Share your know hows.pics,an trips in the wildernwess

bacustomknives

FULL THROTTLE / FULLTIME KNIFE MAKER
GUYS HERE IS A PLACE TO DISCUSS Survival Skills ,Techniques,Ect Share your know hows.pics,and trips in the wildernwess,this is the place forthat!
THANKS ,BILL & CHRIS :thumbup:

I will post up some traps that I have learned over the years. I have some pesky tree rats and chipmunks around the house so I want to teach my son a figure 4 and see if we can get one. Stay tuned!

We also need pics of the best fuzz stick made with one of our knives!

You mean like these :thumbup:

rps20110805_214446.jpg

rps20110805_214612.jpg

Oh hell yeah!! Like that!! I mean love it!!! Damn that knife looks good!!

ok so i have decided to move my EDC thread into here since its a sticky and it doesn't see much use...Also it happens to be a topic i really enjoy so from now on I will post stuff related to this here. If it is in response to another thread and belongs here I will post the link to here in the other thread :D

Repost:
OK...here we go...

EDC Part 1:
This is just the stuff I have on me every day and my kit for taking a day trip in the woods. I will try and get the rest up on here as soon as I can. I wanted to do it all at once, but i don't know if I have it in me right now.

So this is the stuff I have on me every day no matter what I am doing. The knives change from time to time, but right now they are my Benchmade 3550 auto folder with a 154CM stainless blade. I have had this thing for a really long time, and it is my main folder knife. I have others, but i have been carrying this one religiously for at least 5 or 6 years. The smaller knife is a pack knife in black canvas micarta that was made for me by John of JK knives. Its a good stout little fixed blade that rides well in my pocket. It gets switched out with a Wohlwend FNBK quite often, and I am hoping to sub a KFU Wharncliff in the near future. And of course my trusty firesteel. Not included in the picture are my pen, a small write-in-the-rain notebook, my wallet, and one of my many watches.

DSC00115.jpg

EDC/SK/Possibles pouch and day hike kit to follow. the pics are uploaded, but gunner has to go out.

to continue...

This is what I have on me any time i go into the woods.
DSC00126.jpg

This pic contains my everyday items as mentioned above as well as my possibles pouch, a small maxped rolly-polly pouch, and a 4-5'' fixed blade knife. The knife changes allot, but this is one of my favorites. It is a custom knife called a Kootenai, and made by Scott Richardson of Caribou Blades. The Maxped pouch is great. you can put it on your belt and unfold it to fit a nalgene sized bottle, or whatever you decide you want to put in there. It also works well for collecting stuff like wild edibles.

This is a pic of the contents of the possibles pouch:

DSC00117.jpg

Starting on the left and working down in columns...

• aLoksack - x2 (waterproof baggies)
  • Maxpedition 3x5 pocket
  • Heavy duty tin foil (thick foil cooking pan from walmart with the fat edges cut off and folded flat)
  • 10lb test fishing wire
  • Fine grit sandpaper (good for cleaning and sharpening knives in the field)
  • Wire Saw
  • Plastic tubes x3
  • one containing hooks, lures, and spit shot...sealed closed with dict tape
  • one containing extra fishing line
  • one containing tinder with extra duct tape wrapped around the tube for later use
  • Survival tin (with ranger bands)
  • First Aid tin
  • Firesteel with striker (the striker doubles as a whistle)
  • Signal Mirror with padded case
  • Small nails x6
  • Case scout model pocket knife with Orange G-10 scales
  • Vaseline Lip Balm (good for chapped lips and doubles as an extender for tinder in wet conditions)

The contents of the Tins:

The First Aid tin:
DSC00122.jpg

• Small tin (Altoids sized)
  • Tweezers
  • Large safety pin x2
  • Zantac (for Heartburn)
  • Imodium (for the squirts)
  • Gauss pad x2
  • Ibuprofen pack x2
  • Triple antibiotic
  • Itch cream
  • Alcohol wipes x2
  • Band-aids x5
  • Knuckle bandage x2
  • sterile-strips x3 (i could stitch myself up if i had to, but i prefer to use these if at all possible)
There is plenty of room to add some more stuff to here if I need to.

The Survival Tin:
DSC00123.jpg

• Same thing I will work from left to right in columns...
  • Fresnel lens (good for fire starting, but i mostly use t to look at small stuff...aka slivers and such)
  • Flat Duct Tape
  • Small can opener
  • Folding saw
  • Folding razor blade
  • Couple sheets of paper and a pencil
  • Small signal mirror
  • Mini chem-lights x2
  • Photon LED light and split ring
  • Whistle
  • Magnesium rod with striker glued to the back
  • length of cordage
  • Spark light fire starter
  • Spark light fire started tinder x6
  • Button Compass
  • Water Pure-Tabs (with expiration date on the outside label)
  • Imodium x3 (for the squirts)
  • Benadril (for allergies)
  • Needles x5 (various sizes...secured in duct tape)
  • Small hooks (several secured in duct tape)
  • Curved needle
  • Small tin with ranger band (Altoids size)
  • Fine grade sand papaer
  • Tube containing small fishing kit (hooks, split-shot, safety pins, and swivels)
  • Small baggie containing snare wire and a spool of Kevlar thread

And before i catch any flack from all you non-believers out there this is a pick of the tin's all packed up so you can see all that crap actually fits :D
DSC00124.jpg

and of course this is gunner wanting to know if he should stop eating his bone so we can go on a hike...he know what usually happens when I get all of my gear out.
DSC00120.jpg

Hope you enjoy the post, and please don't mind the mess behind gunner...he knocked all of my clean laundry off the ironing board earlier and I am too lazy to pick it up.

Best,

Always:
Carry three sources of fire-lighting...not just a Bic.

Always:
Carry a small stick of lighterd...even works when wet!

Always:
Carry water purification tablets,period.

Always:
Carry a small vial of honey...it never spoils; will keep you alive.

Always:
Carry a small vial of mineral oil,safe for lubing your food knives.

Always:
Carry a small vial of sterile saline,to get debris out of eyes.

Always:
Carry a small vial of Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-20...best all-weather gun oil on the planet.

Always:
Shoot a back azimuth.

Always:
Carry a few pieces of toilet paper in a baggie.

Always:
Reload before the magazine runs empty.

Always:
Remember any cedar tree has some semi-dry tinder,even in a downpour.

Always:
Carry 10 spare rounds of ammo,in your canteen cover.

Always:
Carry a 6" Nicholson smooth-cut file; best field sharpener on the Planet.

Always:
Carry a 2' piece of clear tubing,to coax a fire without getting smoke eyes.

Always:
Carry a small neo magnet,and 15-20' of mono line...for dropped objects you cannot reach.

Always:
Face away from the fire,to keep your night vision.

Always:
Remember your ABC's: Airway,Breathing,Circulation.

Always:
Put witness marks on your scope screws and base.

Always:
Carry dry sox.

Always:
Know where your POI will be,at twice the distance you practice from.

Always:
Remember kerosene/diesel reduces pain,swelling & infection in flesh wounds.

Always:
Take a large bandanna.

Always:
Carry Aspirin,Benadryl & Tums.

Always:
Carry spare batteries next to your body.

Always:
Wear a belt strong enough for an emergency rappel.

Always:
Carry a 35mm film can full of SPF 36 or higher.

Always:
Carry a good mirror,and a good magnifying glass or loupe.

Always:
Remember the direction of flow,at the last stream you crossed.

Always:
Keep your best knife put away.

Always:
Remember you can 'bark' a squirrel,even with a deer rifle,and not ruin all the meat.

Always:
Carry a small packet of salt.

Always:
Think of drainage,before you lay your bed.

Always:
Remember a copperhead smells just like over-ripe cucumbers.

Always:
Waterproof the back of all your hiking pants...for a dry seat.

Always:
Remember: never step on anything you can step over.

Always:
Carry a film canister of black pepper to sprinkle on field-dressed animals...keeps flies off.

Always:
Leave a buddy as your emergency contact...your Lady will freak out.He won't.

Always:
Remember worn anything around your neck must be breakaway.

Always:
Have an I.C.E. number or two in your cell phone.

Always:
Remember honeysuckle vine can be rolled in,to increase your insulation.

Always:
Look for plantain- it can be washed and eaten;fiber fills you up.

Always:
Keep your whistle pinned to your collar,in case of injury.

Always:
Practice shooting off the 'wrong' shoulder,using your non-dominant eye.

Always:
Have at least 100' of 550 paracord in your pack.

Always:
Have heavy leather gloves,to prevent rope burn if you must rappel.

Always:
Look for game trails...they lead to water & heavy cover.

Always:
Carry a large spork.

Always:
Carry a small piece of moleskin-the adhesive backed kind-in case of blisters.

Always:
Wear a hat.Caps are for ballplayers.

Always:
Have two good carabiners,to rig a belaying device & slow down rope speed.

Always:
Carry a spare pair of glasses,or contacts.

Always:
Remember if your lips are chapped,you're dehydrated.

Always:
Realize clean-catch urine is basically sterile,and can be used to clean wounds in a pinch.

Always:
Trim a 'V' in the center of each great toenail,to prevent ingrown toenails.

Always:
Carry a couple non-lubricated condoms,as emergency canteens.

Always:
Have Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers,within reach on your pack.

Always:
Remember a blowdown means a headstart toward a shelter.

Always:
Cut a piece of styrofoam from a meat package,as cushion & insulator in your boots before you go.

Always:
Look for a hollow tree...dry tinder,inside.

Always:
Keep a fire going the the night,by 'banking' some of the hot coals in ashes and soil.

Always:
Make sure your campsite isn't under a widowmaker.

Always:
Replace your bootlaces with paracord.

Always:
Use land features as a 'handrail' to guide you back to your truck.

Always:
Carry a couple 'trick' birthday candles for fire-starting...won't blow out easily in the wind.

Always:
Take anything Gnarly says with a grain of salt...sumbitch is nutz.

Last edited:
OK; I'll apologize for being so long-winded,there....but where the Hell did everybody go?!?

I missed this post Gnarly! Great info. I learned a few new things. The toenail thing really works?

Gnarly & Alan, I have "worked" on BOB's, EDC's, etc. since around the Tappan era. I have come up with several "master" lists for mini kits, EDC kits, day hike kits, vehicle kits, camp kits, a 120 hr. BOB (I just don't have the faith the govt. can reach me in 72 hours), 24 hour shoulder kit, etc. These lists all have the basic, shelter, fire, navigation, signaling, food, commo, first aid, knives & tools, illumination, cooking, hydration, references, etc. items in them.
But just about the time I think I have this list finished after 30+ years, someone posts, writes, prints, or says something that I do not have or has a better idea for a better "mouse trap" . . . . . :)
That is why I never, ever grow tired of reading about items or stories surrounding this subject. G, there are 4 or 5 items you posted that I had not thought of that will now be going into my master lists, & a few that I will change.
Alan, great looking kits, I have 6 or 7 different kits already made up that I can grab when I am heading out the door, depending on whether it will be just a day hike, or one of those "I will try and be back tonight, but if not I will call you & let you know, here is where we are heading" 24 hour overnight hikes . . .
Thanks guys for posting, BA, thanks for the idea for the thread.
Be safe.

I missed this post Gnarly! Great info. I learned a few new things. The toenail thing really works?

Yes! Cut the "V" almost into the quick....stop,just short of bleeding....works 100% of the time....new nail growth tries to 'grow the V shut' which pulls the nail----slowly & naturally--- away from being embedded along the sides.

Great information here guys!

Thanx,DFK!!!

Gnarly & Alan, I have "worked" on BOB's, EDC's, etc. since around the Tappan era. I have come up with several "master" lists for mini kits, EDC kits, day hike kits, vehicle kits, camp kits, a 120 hr. BOB (I just don't have the faith the govt. can reach me in 72 hours), 24 hour shoulder kit, etc. These lists all have the basic, shelter, fire, navigation, signaling, food, commo, first aid, knives & tools, illumination, cooking, hydration, references, etc. items in them.
But just about the time I think I have this list finished after 30+ years, someone posts, writes, prints, or says something that I do not have or has a better idea for a better "mouse trap" . . . . . :)
That is why I never, ever grow tired of reading about items or stories surrounding this subject. G, there are 4 or 5 items you posted that I had not thought of that will now be going into my master lists, & a few that I will change.
Alan, great looking kits, I have 6 or 7 different kits already made up that I can grab when I am heading out the door, depending on whether it will be just a day hike, or one of those "I will try and be back tonight, but if not I will call you & let you know, here is where we are heading" 24 hour overnight hikes . . .
Thanks guys for posting, BA, thanks for the idea for the thread.
Be safe.

Agree! Thanx! for the threadstarter,and a place to put stuff like this,(mostly learned the hard way!)...we appreciate it, BA & KFU!

i can back Gnarly up on the toe nail clipper trick. It really does work.

J1M...lets see those lists :p

+1 on the toe nail trick. My DR. told it to me after having to cut out an ingrown toe nail
on my right foot. Wasn't very much fun.

In this Northern Hemisphere, you will find a greater accumulation of snow on the SOUTHERN facing slopes.

OK,here's a trick for catching birds my great uncle told us kids.......

Put salt on their tail.

Get it?
I know har har har.

Back