"survival" tarp recommendations??

For something midway between expensive silnylon and cheap but heavy plastic or blue tarps, you could try the groundcloth from a large-ish tent. That's what I carry for a secondary cooking/shelter tarp when I'm camping. Just look for what's on sale -- when tent models go obsolete, the separately-sold groundcloths go on sale cheap.

The one I use is from an REI 4-person tent. Don't remember the model. Cost about $20-25, and it's probably 6x8'. Weighs well under a pound, compresses down small, waterproof, and it's already got webbing tie-outs with grommets.

Works for me.

Once the machine is set up it requires little in the way of skill just a modest amount of general intelligence. Broadly speaking you've got an accelerator under your foot to control the speed and a lever or button to engage reverse. If you can get the hang of that in the same way as you would a car throttle so you don't zoom off into the shrubbery you have half the battle won. You can practice this by sewing lines in any old bit of fabric. In fact, you don't even need to do that. You can just run a needle without thread to punch a row of holes in a bit of paper. If you draw lines in the paper for tracking practice...

Other than that there's little else. You need to remember to lift the foot [lever] and drop it back down when you are putting your work under the needle or rotating it or whatever, and that's about all you need.

The harder stuff like threading the machine, picking stitch size, tensioning and loading up the bottom bobbin and putting it back can all be done in a couple of moments by whoever sets the machine up for you.
This is pretty much dead on. My wife has an old sewing macine that belonged to her mother. I decided to make some pouches out of nylon because I couldn't find anything for sale that matched what I wanted. I pulled out the book and read up on how to load the bobbins, set up the machine, etc. My finished products were uglier than homemade sin, but they worked!! I bought enough material at Walmart for a bunch of projects for a few bucks.

Start buying your birdseed or dogfood in the bags that are made of the same tarp material. Once you have a few saved up you can sew or duct-tape them together for a free tarp.

This is pretty much dead on. My wife has an old sewing macine that belonged to her mother. I decided to make some pouches out of nylon because I couldn't find anything for sale that matched what I wanted. I pulled out the book and read up on how to load the bobbins, set up the machine, etc. My finished products were uglier than homemade sin, but they worked!! I bought enough material at Walmart for a bunch of projects for a few bucks.

LOL - there needs to be a new sticky: Put Up or Shut Up - The sewing challenge :D

Seriously. If I had a machine and knew what I was doing with it, I could see giving it a try. No such thing as having too many skills :thumbup:

Two people and a dog the size of a third person when stretched out under the tarp in this pic. Plus elbow space for cooking. Way more protection than a typical skinny poncho yet look up the weight of Silnylon per m².

dtmr8subhhxzap.jpg

Remmmm and Don,

I don't know the current status, but REI and Adventure 16 used to carry bulk shock cord in various thicknesses. On a single-person 8x10' tarp you can obviously go with thinner shock cord than I use on my 12x16' Alaska rafting tarp. Needless to say, if you go too thin, there will not be much spring left in the cord when it is stretched out in the course of pitching the tarp.

When I first shock-corded a tarp, I used a single piece tied on one end to the tarp grommet and on the other to a steel split ring. I found it was easier to simply use a loop of shock cord through the grommet and tie the ends off to each other with a square knot. Because there are now two strands of shock cord, you can use thinner shock cord. I have not had any problems with the lines wearing through the shock cord.

DancesWithKnives

I have used a 8x10 blue tarp for several years now, works for me, but I have an old tent that I'm thinking about cutting out a good sheet and putting grommets on it then silicone seal.

We all know the advantages but expense of silnylon tarps. What you might not know is that silnylon fabric will won't unravel if it's left unhemmed. Purchase three yards of 60" wide silnylon fabric and you have a 5'x9' survival tarp that weighs almost nothing. Wrap a pebble in each corner with paracord and you're set to go.

Quest Outfitters sells silnylon seconds for $6.30 per yard. A survival tarp will cost $19+shipping.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#SILNYLON%201.1%20OZ%20RIPSTOP

Last edited:
It's expensive but that Cuben fiber material looks astounding at less than 1/2 oz per yard. Has me thinking of possibilities....

I read somewhere that the Cuben sail fabric comes in a couple weights. There's a fellow making ultralight backpacker's quilts out of the lightest Cuben---which he said is somewhere around 1/3 oz/yd. I'd like to handle and test some of that fabric.

DancesWithKnives

I read somewhere that the Cuben sail fabric comes in a couple weights. There's a fellow making ultralight backpacker's quilts out of the lightest Cuben---which he said is somewhere around 1/3 oz/yd. I'd like to handle and test some of that fabric.

DancesWithKnives

MLD (mountain laurel designs) is one of the leading cottage industry innovators of cuben cloth packs, tents and tarps. This link to their site explains the different lightweight cloth alternatives.

I have been using an 8X10 nylon tarp that I bought at Flint Creek Outfitters. I believe it was around $50.
It is waterproof, and so far, has given complete satisfaction.

I have this strange premonition of having the sewing machine needle puncturing my left index finger and then me, being unable to turn the blasted thing off, stomping on the accelorator thinge in pain and sewing my entire hand and arm to the fabric and the table.
I feel manly enough to not worry about sharp knives and guns, but that darn sewing machine has me quacking in my boots. (Sorry for the off-topic rant, rant off)

I have this strange premonition of having the sewing machine needle puncturing my left index finger and then me, being unable to turn the blasted thing off, stomping on the accelorator thinge in pain and sewing my entire hand and arm to the fabric and the table.
I feel manly enough to not worry about sharp knives and guns, but that darn sewing machine has me quacking in my boots. (Sorry for the off-topic rant, rant off)

Hand stitching isn't as pretty, but it isn't hard to learn. And if you stick yourself, you automatically pull the needle out.

She had to have a needle pulled out of her hand on several occasions via a pair of mechanics pliers, some stuck in the bone. Then band aid so she didn't bleed on the fabric and get back to work.

Of course that was a 1940's sweat shop and you were paid by the piece.

Carl-

One day I'd love to get a cuben tarp. Apparently stronger than silnylon, but with reduced puncture resistance.

Joe Valesko of Zpack is making a 9 oz. solo tent now from cuben. His solo tarp model is 3.3 oz. and the Blast 32 backpack - 3,200 cubic inches, 4.3 oz.

Silnyon is mad expensive compared to other tarp fabrics but performance wise it is so worth it. Given how imperative a really good nest can be the kinds of things I can make from this stuff for such a trivial size / weight penalty is extraordinary. It boggles my mind that any serious outdoor person would carry a kilo of needlessly expensive cutting tools yet reject this material on the basis of cost in favor of some hulking free lump from the back of a lorry.

well said

sewing is a great option for some, for those that it isn't- watch e-bay and some of the used outdoor gear sites- you can get into a quality tarp for very reasonable w/ a little patience and persistence

I scored a lightly used Integral Design tarp/poncho for $25, a little guy line and a few stakes and I have a shelter/rain gear that packs into sack smaller than a can of Coke and weighs under 10 oz

She had to have a needle pulled out of her hand on several occasions via a pair of mechanics pliers, some stuck in the bone. Then band aid so she didn't bleed on the fabric and get back to work.

Of course that was a 1940's sweat shop and you were paid by the piece.

Carl-

My mother in her younger days lost the tip of her thumb in a sewing machine.

That said, Its very easy to get used to using one, I've been making my own pouches for a while, its nice because you can use exactly what you want.

Back