"Survival Water Purifier"

It looks like just a water filter -- probably a good price. BTW, filtering all you have to do to water to get the bacteria out (not chemicals though).

Interesting. I'd bet it is a British military device. I don't have time to investigate right now but I wonder if it meets EPA requirements.

It looks like just a water filter -- probably a good price. BTW, filtering all you have to do to water to get the bacteria out (not chemicals though).

Spikedog is right.. About the only way to remove the chemicals is reverse osmosis.. Activated Charcoal will remove taste, and some chemicals..

Be careful of filters that don't give micron ratings.
You are looking for it to give an "absolute" value.

Giardia, and Crypto are greater than 3 microns, so you are looking for an absolute filtration rating of 2 microns or less for using in non-polluted streams and such.

Virusses are very very small. In the 3rd world, you need an absolute value on the order of about .3 microns to filter the nasty virusses out of surface water.

I have an MSR Mini Works filter, and have been very pleased with it. I personally recommend using a pre-filter to keep more large stuff out of the filter, it will last longer. That goes for any filter.

A big advantage of MSR equipment is that it is maintainable in the field. You can buy a spare parts kit, and I recommend you do so. My water filter is over 12 years old, and I have an MSR stove that is over 25 years old. Both still work great today.

Thanks, and good luck.

I'll cast my vote for the MSR filter as well. I've had one for can't-remember-how-many years and they work great, are field-maintainable and extremely rugged. I've only once had a failure - in a sandy environment (southern Oregon coastal sand dunes) I didn't take enough precaution and sand got into the filter and compromised the seals. Took it apart (no tools required), cleaned out the sand, put it back together and worked just fine.

Also, Nalgene bottles screw into the bottom of them making filtering while perched precariously on a rock above a cold mountain stream a lot easier than it might otherwise be.

for wilderness camping (or survival) msr water filter is great
for back country /canoe camping it works great ,,no need to carry in water, when you want water you dont have to boil water ,,,just screw it onto a nalgene bottle and pump it full of water

I heard MSR is easier to pump than Katadyn Hiker Pro.
They have a better handle with more leverage.

Another vote for MSR. I've had my original WaterWorks filter since 1991. Still chugging along just fine. The MSR MiniWorks is well under $100.

I, too, would stay away from filters that don't state a micron value. I'd recommend sticking with proven names like MSR, Katadyn, and 1st Need.

Take a look at this photo of that purifier: http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_27542_Survival_Water_Purifier.html . It is tiny and the specs are 200ml a minute-- 5 minutes of pumping for a quart of water-- that is terrible.

Katadin Micropur MP1 tablets are light and compact and will fit in a tiny PSK. Aqua Mira works really well. Both are chlorine dioxide based. Your bandana will filter out the big chunks, and you ALWAYS have a bandana, RIGHT? Boiling is always an option-- provided you have a pot. A good boil kills 'em all.

The Katadin Hiker Pro filter has two stages, helping with stuff that might clog a single stage filter. They are about as light as any and at a good price.

I might be wrong about this but the Katadyn water filter is the only one that can but used to make even sea water potable. Maybe if I lived futher inland it wouldn't matter, and to be honest I've never used mine for sea water. But it is peace-of-mind to know that if I had to I could.

Back