SURVIVE! Bushcraft Knife (GSO-4.5?)

A quick diagram of bevel angles and mechanical advantage (slicing efficiency):

Edge%252520Angle%252520vs%252520Strength%252520v2.png

Keep in mind that the GSO-5.1 and others in the S!K line-up all feature primary bevels ~ 5-dps (10 inclusive). This new 4.5 features the same primary bevel angle BUT a much thinner edge if it is a zero-grind - the other knives feature a second "edge" bevel that is usually 15-20 dps (standard) and thickens the edge substantially for durability.

In comparison, a Mora Robust or "Heavy Duty" primary bevel is 27-inclusive and the standard Mora cutting edge is 20-23 inclusive, that is 10 degrees per side.
http://www.moraofsweden.se/knife-care

Look at that diagram above again and understand how 5-dps and 10-dps compare in terms of "sliciness", i.e. mechanical advantage. Guy is crazy. :thumbup:

Thanks for that break down. I don't know enough about all the geometry of things, but that put it into a better perspective.

Great chart. My head understands the difference, but seeing it on 'paper' drives it home.

Last edited:
I can't tell from the CAD of the bushcraft knife since the hand sharpening doesn't show up on any of them,
but I think that it will have a secondary bevel, although I anticipate that it will be small,
still leaving the knife thinner behind the secondary bevel than anything else currently offered.
Edit: Yes, the phrase Guy used is "very thin cutting edge shoulder".

A quick diagram of bevel angles and mechanical advantage (slicing efficiency):

Edge%252520Angle%252520vs%252520Strength%252520v2.png

Keep in mind that the GSO-5.1 and others in the S!K line-up all feature primary bevels ~ 5-dps (10 inclusive). This new 4.5 features the same primary bevel angle BUT a much thinner edge if it is a zero-grind - the other knives feature a second "edge" bevel that is usually 15-20 dps (standard) and thickens the edge substantially for durability.

In comparison, a Mora Robust or "Heavy Duty" primary bevel is 27-inclusive and the standard Mora cutting edge is 20-23 inclusive, that is 10 degrees per side.
http://www.moraofsweden.se/knife-care

Look at that diagram above again and understand how 5-dps and 10-dps compare in terms of "sliciness", i.e. mechanical advantage. Guy is crazy. :thumbup:

Thanks for that info C.G!! Sorry if I am jumping in on the conversation late. But it's my understanding, and I am no expert, that a hollow ground knife is great for skinning but not recommended for wood work because it has a similar profile. But in theory knowing this shouldn't be a big deal because 3v is 2 to 4x stronger than 1095 and thus Guy can go thinner. Is that a correct statement/assumption? And is the new 4.7 going to be a convex, flat or hollow grind? And finally will you please make me a grilled cheese sandwich, cut it in quarters and take the crust off?

Thanks!!

And is the new 4.7 going to be a convex, flat or hollow grind? And finally will you please make me a grilled cheese sandwich, cut it in quarters and take the crust off?

Thanks!!

Hahahahaha! Cut in quarters is the best.

All GSO's have a flat grind. For some reason I dislike hollow grinds because the seem cheap. Maybe that's because all my hollow ground knives are cheap!

Hollow ground knives can be VERY sharp, but weak compared to convex. I thought all of his knives were convex?? Is the new 4.7 going to be flat too?

Thanks for that info C.G!! Sorry if I am jumping in on the conversation late. But it's my understanding, and I am no expert, that a hollow ground knife is great for skinning but not recommended for wood work because it has a similar profile. But in theory knowing this shouldn't be a big deal because 3v is 2 to 4x stronger than 1095 and thus Guy can go thinner. Is that a correct statement/assumption? And is the new 4.7 going to be a convex, flat or hollow grind? And finally will you please make me a grilled cheese sandwich, cut it in quarters and take the crust off?

Thanks!!

Yeah, i need to stop in and get some more American Process "cheese" as I like that best on mine and am running short, thanks for the reminder :)

I think it was already mentioned that all of Guy's knives (except the BRKT-produced ones) have a flat-saber grind for the primary, the edge's are sharpened on a belt-grinder that might produce a slight convexity but are generally also a flat V-edge. Users that prefer a convex profile can easily knock down the edge-shoulders and round the apex on a strop if desired, but the primary is going to be flat.

Regarding the geometry of convex/flat/concave grinds, it is very important to remember two key principles:
1) A knife is a wedge/slope, it functions under the principle of "mechanical advantage" regarding inclined planes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclined_plane the key to which is "slope" described by the bevel/grind angle
- thinner = easier penetration
2) "Angle" is a means of describing the space between two planes, i.e. thickness over a distance/length. Thickness is the primary determinant of the strength (i.e. resistance to bending/stretch/compression) of the material.
- thicker = stronger

When discussing a knife bevel, there is an edge apex and also a "shoulder" that define the primary bevel - two points between which there lies a straight, flat plane. Above this plane, a bevel is "convex" (curving outward) and beneath it is "concave" (curving inward). Defined thus by the slope of the flat-bevel between shoulder and apex, the convex bevel produces the thickest, strongest blade, concave produces the thinnest/weakest. How much stronger or weaker for a curved variation depends upon the degree to which it deviates from the flat plane/bevel - a slight convexity/concavity will not evince much difference in strength. Also if the bevel is excessively thick to begin with, then even a thin concave (hollow) grind may be more than strong enough to endure the intended use.

Most hollow-ground knives are only hollow behind the edge-bevel, i.e. in the primary.
As an example, take a straight-razor.
Usually given a hollow-primary on a grinding wheel or belt-platen, but then given an edge-bevel on a flat hone and a final convex micro-bevel to the apex on a strop. The result is an edge that puts strength (thickness) foremost to endure the rigors of the initial cut but at the price of lost mechanical advantage, so the final bevel must be thin enough to penetrate the intended material with ease (we're talking micron-thin).
Behind this edge, a flat bevel produces a lower average angle to improve the mechanical advantage (i.e. higher slicing ability, less wedging) while maintaining strength (thickness) to support that fine edge against bending/flexing/rolling.
Behind this flat section, the blade is strong enough to support the edge but requires a sufficiently thick spine to prevent excessive flexing of the blade and give the user something to control - a hollow grind allows the blade to remain relatively thin & light with good clearance from the surface, and then more quickly increase in thickness to accommodate a strong spine. The disadvantage to give the knife such a strong spine with such a thin bevel is that it can give the user a false sense of the strength of the entire blade, and he might use it in a way that the spine can endure but the rest of the knife cannot.

It's this last point that goes to the question about hollow-ground knives for woodwork - you can certainly use a hollow-ground knife for woodwork, but only if the grind is thick enough to endure the stress of such use, and the baseline for "thick enough" is a flat-grind - for the hollow to be just as thick as the sustainable flat-grind, the knife itself will have a thicker/heavier spine than is necessary, so why bother? And that thicker/heavier spine might encourage use that the rest of the blade cannot handle. As an example, I own a Buck Paklite skinner, a hollow-ground knife that came with an edge >0.030" thick - that is thicker than the flat-grid GSO-4.1 I recently got for testing. I could certainly use that hollow-grind blade for wood-work since it is so thick. But I would not use my straight-razor (which has a similar spine-thickness to the PakLite), nor would I use a flat-ground box-cutter blade, because of the thickness of either in the region where strength is required for carving wood.

Take another example of a commonly hollow-ground blade - the splitting axe. Isn't it curious to consider that the delicate straight-razor and the powerful splitting axe might be given a similar grind? :D
A splitting axe, like a razor blade, requires a strong apex to endure the rigors of the initial cut (exponentially more severe) - as such, a convex final bevel is a good idea, however the edge needs to be MUCH thicker to endure the impact and twisting forces of the grains of wood being split, so this final bevel may be quite large, however it should not be made too large or the blade will lose too much penetration ability and be more like a stone than an axe, losing all the force of the strike on impact - penetration is key to cutting - it just needs to be thick enough not to fold/compress/crack upon impact, retaining the ability to slip into the wood and separate it.
Behind this edge may be a flat grind that balances support and mechanical advantage to allow the edge to penetrate sufficiently deep so as not to bounce out of or glance off the target upon impact - retain the force of the strike against the wood's resistance.
But now that the blade-edge is able to endure the strike and penetrate the target without losing much force, it needs to be able to blast the grains apart using mechanical advantage AND not lose force to friction against the wood - here you are into the primary bevel of the axe and may find a massive flaring-out of "cheeks" that present the "concave" grind. The axe maintains it's thin profile log enough to ensure penetration, then quickly increases the grind-angle, the thickness of the head, thereby increasing the clearance area to prevent friction along the bevel and turn all the remaining force of the stroke to spreading apart the wood thus separated by the edge, acting like a ski-jump, while also allowing for a thick/heavy axe head behind the thin/penetrating edge. It's a beautiful thing :cool:

Wait, where was I? I can't remember what i was posting about.... oh yeah! blade grind and strength. in general, it is not convex/hollow/concave that determines the strength of the blade, nor is it grind-angle. All of these are merely ways of describing how the blade changes in thickness from apex to shoulder. It is the thickness that first and foremost determines whether or not the blade is strong enough to endure a given use. Thickness is cubically related to strength - e.g. a blade that is 2x thicker at a given distance from the apex is 8x stronger than a comparison blade.

Now, what about strength and Rockwell Hardness? https://www.mwsco.com/kb/articles/19990630e.htm
A blade at 61Rc is ~10% stronger than one hardened to 57Rc, assuming "optimal" HT protocols for each - that is, the harder blade can endure 10% more stress before bending/deforming vs the weaker blade. This is strength, not toughness.

Toughness informs what happens after strength is exceeded, or what happens when the strength is exceeded suddenly (impact) - how much does it bend before it fractures? A tougher steel endures greater deformation prior to fracture, fracture with "relatively little" deformation is considered "brittle", note that it is a relative term. Comparing 1095 and CPM-3V toughness at 57-58Rc, 3V is ~2x tougher (Charpy notch testing), meaning that a test-sample of the same thickness can absorb 2X more energy through deformation prior to fracture.

It should be noted that the comparison values are generated on test-samples of a given thickness and may not maintain the proportional value at other thicknesses (i.e. 3V may be more or less than 2X tougher than 1095 at thickness greater or smaller than the test sample). In theory, CPM-3V could be made 2X thinner than the 1095 blade and retain the same toughness, but i have no evidence to bear that out. The smart move is for Guy (or someone else) to test the geometry of the knife in use, if possible to test it to destruction and so learn the limits of the tool before deciding whether to move forward with that geometry or not for a given use.

Dang, wall of text and I'm not even sure I answered the original question... Anybody?

Last edited:
Well, yes you did somehow, but it is clear that you don't know what you're talking about.......

Obviously I am kidding but this is the Internet, also know as the information super highway to those in the "know", and sometimes people can't see comedy if it hit them in the head.

But yes you did in spades...and (kidding aside and in all seriousness):

I will bookmark this post as a reference!! Thanks!

Last edited:
This must be the start of the second semester of U of C (University of Chiral). Can we mail tuition payments directly to you?

I don't need praise for my abstruse verbosity, but I will admit that most everything included above (badly explained as it may be) was learned amidst bladeforums - either directly through members' posts or through independent investigation incited thereby. So if you're a paying member here, :thumbup:

This is all just to tide us over until our pre-orders come in :)

I don't need praise for my abstruse verbosity, but I will admit that most everything included above (badly explained as it may be) was learned amidst bladeforums - either directly through members' posts or through independent investigation incited thereby. So if you're a paying member here, :thumbup:

Chiral, Could you tell me how to figure out the primary bevel angle? Like for instance, on a 1 1/2" wide blade that is 1/8 versus 3/16, and I want the primary bevel to be 1" wide (saber style grind) Right now I can "just do it" but I would like to know the actual angles. Like for instance on the 5.1 the blade height is 1.5, and the thickness .185. How would I know what the grind angle needs to be on paper? Versus the 4.5 Bushcraft I have on order... is 1.12 blade height and .115 blade thickness... Is that matter of say 3 degree grind versus 4? Sorry if this is not clear...

This is all just to tide us over until our pre-orders come in :)

You can come answer customer emails any day. :D

Chiral, Could you tell me how to figure out the primary bevel angle? Like for instance, on a 1 1/2" wide blade that is 1/8 versus 3/16, and I want the primary bevel to be 1" wide (saber style grind) Right now I can "just do it" but I would like to know the actual angles. Like for instance on the 5.1 the blade height is 1.5, and the thickness .185. How would I know what the grind angle needs to be on paper? Versus the 4.5 Bushcraft I have on order... is 1.12 blade height and .115 blade thickness... Is that matter of say 3 degree grind versus 4? Sorry if this is not clear...
http://www.mathportal.org/calculators/plane-geometry-calculators/right-triangle-calculator.php
Half your blade thickness is the maximum value for one side of the right triangle, and you've specified the the side opposite the right angle to be 1", so you know all that you need to solve the equation.
For example, a blade of 0.25" thickness with a zero grind with a length of 1" would have a grind angle of 7.18°. If you want to leave more thickness behind the edge the angle will need to be lower.
Also for example, a blade of 3/32" thickness with a zero grind at 25° would have a bevel length of 0.25", which is just about where the Mora with a scandi grind that I just measured works out to be.

http://www.mathportal.org/calculators/plane-geometry-calculators/right-triangle-calculator.php
Half your blade thickness is the maximum value for one side of the right triangle, and you've specified the the side opposite the right angle to be 1", so you know all that you need to solve the equation.
For example, a blade of 0.25" thickness with a zero grind with a length of 1" would have a grind angle of 7.18°. If you want to leave more thickness behind the edge the angle will need to be lower.
Also for example, a blade of 3/32" thickness with a zero grind at 25° would have a bevel length of 0.25", which is just about where the Mora with a scandi grind that I just measured works out to be.

Fancier, Thank you much for your answer. I appreciate that. That is helpful, and I think I can develop that out for other measurements needed with different thicknesses...

Saw this on Facebook fan group from Guy. Someone posted a pic of a Mora(?) and this is his reaponse.

I designed this instead. lol With the geometry I'm going to be implementing with the GSO-4.5, it will carve like a beast. With a true scandi the carving efficiency might be slightly better but the edge durability suffers. The solution people use is to add a microbevel to increase the edge life. At that point though, you just have a knife with a bevel angle of 25 degrees or more and a microbevel cutting edge. The GSO-4.5 has an included bevel angle of just 10 degrees, with a very small cutting edge shoulder. You'll get very efficient slicing, with far less resharpening. Ok, I'll get off my high horse now. I know I can't win them all but dammit I'll try. http://surviveknives.com/gso-4-5-bushcraft/

My apologies for the delayed response on this, have been too busy to give it the time it deserved, thanks to Fancier for pretty-much handling it.

As Fancier already mentioned, if you know your spine-thickness and bevel "height", you have two sides to a right-triangle allowing trigonometry to solve the angle for you. I commonly use this other online calculator, but Fancier's link should work fine: http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

The way these knives tend to be made, the maker specifies a spine thickness AND an edge-thickness between which a bevel is ground according to the desired blade "height" or according to the desired angle that can fit that blade-height. For example, a certain makers spec their knives to an edge 0.020" thick after grinding but "before sharpening". To know the angle of that bevel, you need that thickness, the stock/spine thickness, and the bevel-height or width (b or c in the diagram below). To ascertain the bevel-angle, you need to subtract the edge-thickness from the spine-thickness and divide by two to give the "opposite" leg of the right-triangle, "a". If you have a "zero"-edge blade, that means edge-thickness = 0, nothing to measure, so you don't need it.

You can then use either the measured length "c" of the bevel itself (best) or measure the blade-height and subtract the "flat" to give length "b" and use trigonometry to get the angle of the primary bevel. Just make sure you account for the presence of an edge-bevel.

Blade%252520measurements.png

In your example, "c" = 1" wide primary bevel.
For a 1/8" thick blade zero-grind, "a" = 0.0625 and the primary bevel angle = 3.58 degrees per side.
For 3/16" thick instead, "a" = 0.094 and the primary bevel = 5.39 dps.

On my previous-run GSO-5.1, these were the rough measurements:
Blade Height: 1.5" = 0.55" saber flat + 0.91" primary-bevel (down to 0.69" in the sweep) + 0.04" edge bevel
Thickness: 3/16" spine down to 0.020" edge shoulder (0.040" in the sweep for increased durability)

From those rough measurements, the primary bevel comes to 5.3 dps, and I have no problem admitting a level of error in those measurements (where i placed the micrometer) to accept that the blade is actually ground at 5-dps.
My pre-order GSO-5.1 just recently arrived at my door (my wife called to tell me :cool: ) so i will post measurements and schematics of that blade's geometry when i get a chance.

The GSO-4.5 spec'd at 1.125" blade-height (edge-to-spine) looks to be ~3/5 bevel (guess), so "c" = 0.675", and "a" = 0.115/2 = 0.058, which puts the primary bevel angle at 4.93 dps :cool: Again, it's not 5.00 because measurement precision can vary, and I just guessed at the value of "c". This isn't a field where that kind of variability is going to matter anyway, so don't sweat it, rough estimates work (shhhh, don't tell Guy ;) )

Now, the same principles for ascertaining the primary bevel angle apply for the edge-bevel angle - measure the bevel height and thickness, use trig to get the angle.

For rough estimating, a bevel 15-dps is ~2X taller than it is thick (2:1), a bevel 10-dps is ~3X taller than thick (3:1), and a bevel 5-dps is a little greater than 5X taller than it is thick (>5:1). Those are just rough estimates but they give a sense of the non-linear relationship between bevel angle and edge-strength vs slicing efficiency: the lower you go, the better the slicer but more delicate the edge.

I hope this helps answer and doesn't promote greater confusion.

You can come answer customer emails any day. :D

Ellie, I'll gladly give assistance where I can, as will most anyone here, as you may already be able to tell :) If you post a link to this subforum on your contact-page or facebook account or somewhere else obvious, you can direct people to our community here. :thumbup: Bladeforums doesn't charge anything to join or post questions, it's a way for you to try and disseminate answers quickly *shrug* We love what y'all are doing and want others to be interested as well. If you need our help, we're here!

Great news that your 5.1 is in!!!

I will definitely come back to this post as a reference in the future!

Thanks guys. Much appreciate the time invested in the answers. Thanks CG for the schooling. My son and I are learning how to build knives and we enjoy the "book knowledge" aspect as well as the hands on experience.

My next question will be about edge shape.... How does a maker like Guy research how much "belly" and where to put the tip in relation to the handle center line? For the 4.5 or other models. Is there any written materials that explain the biomechanics or the other factors that help decide how the lay out a blade shape?

Back