Survive GSO 4.1 Overview + Day Hike gear

wolverine_173

BANNED
[video=youtube;6a-FBTK7RvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-FBTK7RvE[/video]
[video=youtube;Naevt7-XXGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naevt7-XXGw[/video]

Nice vids! I just got back from a lengthy stay backpacking in the high sierras. Took the GSO kit along, 10, 6, 4, 3.5, performed pretty well, I usually bring a few kitchen knives in my roll, but didn't need to bring them out as much with the 3.5 in hand. Only wish would be for these knives to be thinned out to really get the full performance out of em for everyday stuff.

how do you think this knife will fair as a hunting knife/ backup survival knife?

I used an SK-4 to process two goats a couple weeks ago, including cutting through the spine between the vertebrate to make "chops". A GSO-4.1, lighter with better edge-retention and no blade coating, would have performed even better, especially with a slightly thinner edge geometry. I'd use it for hunting :thumbup:
As a "survival knife", the GSO-4.1 has a rounded spine so you'd need to use the edge or a separate scraper for sparking a ferro-rod, it's rather short so limited in chopping/batonning tasks (you might prefer something longer) but is plenty durable for such use, it's thick enough to pry, the scales are removable if you want to mount it as a spear or grass-whip, it has a notched hammer-pommel, it sharpens well on a diamond hone ... :thumbup:

3.5 is better for hunting, 1/8th is still on the thick side but the thinnest of the lineup and served me well with my field butchering last week. The 4.1's are great too, great camp/backup robust hunting knife. As far as survival goes, yea it'll do.

3.5 is better for hunting, 1/8th is still on the thick side but the thinnest of the lineup and served me well with my field butchering last week. The 4.1's are great too, great camp/backup robust hunting knife. As far as survival goes, yea it'll do.
What type of game did you field dress last week with your GSO?Archery?

This last trip was more a scouting trip for when rifle season starts (3rd sat in sept), but used the 3.5 on some fluffy bunnies and some fish. I like to head up during the opening weeks of archery season (Mule Deer, CA sierras), and get a sense for what's goins on. Before we left we broke down a whole pig, and figured it'd be a great chance to see what the 3.5 was made of. Handled skinning, de-jointing and other primal cuts really well. Like a beefier version of my mac pro utility I've used seasons past. I just want a GSO 2.75 in 1/16th now :D

When we head out next month I'll be sure to bring the camera and get some comparisons, plus I wanna get a muley cleaved with my FDICK or GSO10, so soon.

Back