SURVIVE! Starter

Sweet! I'll be waiting for when we can order! I like the new blade options too!

All the great new choices, have to say I'm super excited for the 2.7, congrats on the new program! Makes gift ideas easier with the credit option too! Keep up the great work!

Ellie, thanks for always giving us the insider information.

I hope that our forum can provide enough positive energy to offset the jerks on facebook. This is a really exciting time for your company.

Big surprise about new models being listed, awesome! It's also great to read about all the updates with finish and modified designs.

I'll really be looking forward to seeing pics of the updated and brand new models.

Best of luck with the starter!!!

Last edited:
Hello,

Since I answered my own previous question I thought I'd edit my post to ask a legitimate one:

Will a brass bow drill divot be an option available in the checkout process?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,

Since I answered my own previous question I thought I'd edit my post to ask a legitimate one:

Will a brass bow drill divot be an option available in the checkout process?

Thanks.

I was actually weighing that out, wondering if that is something I should offer. It is kind of a pain in the butt to do, with different very precise fixturing needed for each model having it done and I'm not sure if there would be enough interest to make it worth doing. The brass puck is actually inserted into the handle slab before the handle is 3D machined, so the location has to be absolute. It would be a lot of tedious, time consuming set up work to only do a few of them.

Please add the gso 8 to the starter I am sure it would get many votes !

That design isn't near complete or I would have offered it. The models I'm offering for the SURVIVE! Starter are ones that I'm 110% happy with and feel confident offering. We will have other models available in the coming months, the SURVIVE! folder, GSO-6, GSO-8, revised GSO-10 and the M-12 machete to name a few, which is probably where the store credit investment would come in handy for some people over buying a knife.

Just the fact that you communicate with the "average joe" about your knives and listen to our feedback drives the demand higher (at least for me). I've told several friends about you guys and after they held my 4.1 they were sold as well. I'll definitely be picking up a blade or two. Now with the introduction of an even smaller blade i'm going to have a tough time picking between the 3.5 and the 2.7. Will there be pictures of the 2.7 posted soon? Will the 4.7 have the choil on it similar to the 5.1?

Can we get some CAD mockups displayed for the new and revised models that don't have actual pics yet?

Here is a sneak peak for you folks. There is nothing available to order yet. We also don't have the page up on the website, but as long as you know the url you can see what is going on.

http://surviveknives.com/starter/

Don't know, if i understand it right, but that must be a fault:

Investments between $50-$950 will receive an extra 5%

EDIT:
After reading your text 2 times more ... now i understand, what you mean :eek:

Last edited:
I was actually weighing that out, wondering if that is something I should offer. It is kind of a pain in the butt to do, with different very precise fixturing needed for each model having it done and I'm not sure if there would be enough interest to make it worth doing. The brass puck is actually inserted into the handle slab before the handle is 3D machined, so the location has to be absolute. It would be a lot of tedious, time consuming set up work to only do a few of them.

While I was looking forward to that minor option, I've been debating myself whether I really needed it. I suppose, for some, it's more flash than utility. Plus the process does sound like it would slow your other work down and I think everyone would rather have the knives ready for purchase sooner and then either try and find a handle with that modification on the secondhand market or obtain it straight from Survive! at a later time as a separate purchase. Handles can always be made and ordered while one is enjoying owning the knife and having the knife first is more important to me than getting the exact handle I want right away.

Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to being a new customer. :)

Last edited:
*Starts pressing the "Buy a knife" button even knowing it isn't available yet*

"These knives are going to be produced to the highest SURVIVE! standard yet! All of our blades will now have much sharper 90 degree spines, crisp grind lines, and a very tight overall fit and finish. You also won't be finding any laser cutting marks on our new production knives. The standard blade finish will now be a matte peened finish. This multi step process will fully stress relieve the blade surface and create a beautiful non reflective finish. It is important to note that the final surface finishing step is done using a spherical ceramic shot, which won't create micro pitting that could invite corrosion."

These changes sound awesome. I'm guessing because of the 90 degree spines that the ferro notch will be a thing of the past. I'm anxious to see how the new finish looks.

I lol'ed where you mentioned a "very tight overall fit and finish", this is already what you're know for! I guess some people can never stop improving.

Last edited:
Just the fact that you communicate with the "average joe" about your knives and listen to our feedback drives the demand higher (at least for me). I've told several friends about you guys and after they held my 4.1 they were sold as well. I'll definitely be picking up a blade or two. Now with the introduction of an even smaller blade i'm going to have a tough time picking between the 3.5 and the 2.7. Will there be pictures of the 2.7 posted soon? Will the 4.7 have the choil on it similar to the 5.1?

Man, I'm just an average Joe myself and your feedback is extremely important to me. It helps refine my ideas and understand what people want. Ellie collects anything she believes is intelligent feedback and saves it for me. I look for trends in the information, which is the driving force behind design revisions and new models. I'll be getting Solidworks renderings posted up as we get each one buttoned up. The GSO-4.7 will only have a grinding choil and is similar in size to the GSO-5. I just posted about that in another thread on this SURVIVE! subforum, I believe under the 4.1 vs 4.7 vs 5 thread.

*Starts pressing the "Buy a knife" button even knowing it isn't available yet*

I am pretty excited about this myself. I believe this is going to give us the big push needed to take things to the next level.

These changes sound awesome. I'm guessing because of the 90 degree spines that the ferro notch will be a thing of the past. I'm anxious to see how the new finish looks.

I lol'ed where you mentioned a "very tight overall fit and finish", this is already what you're know for! I guess some people can never stop improving.

A great French guy stopped by our shop some months ago now, as he was touring the US and visiting friends. In conversation regarding where I wanted to go with things he brought up a beautiful french saying, that essentially translated to "better is the enemy of good". He said that the English translation didn't quite convey what the saying meant but I definitely understood what he was getting at. I'm definitely my own worst enemy, my harshest critic, when it comes to what I want my product to be for all of you. You guys and girls deserve the very best, so I'll never stop reaching for better. I'm definitely in this for the "good job Guy" or the "AttaBoy", much more than I'm in this for money.

Edit: I missed your comment about the ferro notch. We'll most likely still offer the ferro notch in the future. It really does improve the amount of hot sparks when compared to just using a flat spine.

Last edited:
I am pretty excited about this myself. I believe this is going to give us the big push needed to take things to the next level.

A great French guy stopped by our shop some months ago now, as he was touring the US and visiting friends. In conversation regarding where I wanted to go with things he brought up a beautiful french saying, that essentially translated to "better is the enemy of good". He said that the English translation didn't quite convey what the saying meant but I definitely understood what he was getting at. I'm definitely my own worst enemy, my harshest critic, when it comes to what I want my product to be for all of you. You guys and girls deserve the very best, so I'll never stop reaching for better. I'm definitely in this for the "good job Guy" or the "AttaBoy", much more than I'm in this for money.

Edit: I missed your comment about the ferro notch. We'll most likely still offer the ferro notch in the future. It really does improve the amount of hot sparks when compared to just using a flat spine.

Again, great information from the man himself. Very cool story about your French visitor.

Good job Guy! :thumbup:

Back