"Survivor" KISS rip-off?

I noticed a couple of ads in the latest Blade for some knives from "Kantas Products Company," billed as "Survivor" brand. One of the knives in particular looks like a ripoff of the K.I.S.S. blade. Anyone seen these knives before? Know anything about them? Have any thoughts on them? The KISS-clone, billed as the "CUTE," has what I think is an improvement over the KISS -- a safety lip to protect the edge when the knife is folded.

Razor

I also saw those and had to do a double take cause the ads look pretty similar.They have other knife ads as well.Another rip-off
Bob

Double again

[This message has been edited by Strider (edited 07 July 1999).]

Man, I saw that ad and laughed my @$$ off! What a POS!!! what's the safety bar supposed to do anyway? The stop pin stops the blade from closing further. And the KISS stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid", but CUTE doesn't stand for crap! What an obvious rip-off, I hope that NO ONE EVER buys one of those.
smile.gif

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

BTW: Not that the KISS is all that good of a knife...

------------------
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

I saw the ad for the "CUTE" - very similar! However, there is a mechanical difference. The lock is a mid-frame lock - locking finger down the middle of the scale instead of along the bottom side.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

I saw the ad for the "CUTE" - very similar! However, there is a mechanical difference. The lock is a mid-frame lock - locking finger down the middle of the scale instead of along the bottom side.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

I held and played with a prototype "CUTE" at the show. While it is obvious it is designed after the KISS I think there is enough difference to not warrant a knock off. Also I don't see the "Survivor" being a knock off at all. It looks way too much different than a KISS.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Here is a pic.

I really don't see it looking like a KISS or being a KISS knock off.
df-110-500.jpg

crkt-kiss.jpg

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

Mike, thanks for the pics...
But I don't think that is the same knife they are talking about in the Blade Magazine ads.

Hummm. I guess I was on a different wave length then. I saw Survivor and that was the only one I knew of above. I know the same maker is making the "CUTE" knife so I guess the ad hit before I saw it. Can anyone scan the ad so I can see it?

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

No, that picture is definitely not the knife I was talking about, although an ad for it also ran in this month's Blade. There are several ads for Kantas' "Survivor" line, including the "CUTE," which is almost exactly like the KISS in concept even if the locking mechanism is different. The graphic design of the Kantas ads is also very similar to the CRKT ads, which I found particularly interesting.

Razor

The "CUTE" knife by Kantis is a knockoff. The Kiss knife has a U.S. pattent, and two foreign pattents, and Kantis has walked all over them. Proceedings are under way at this time to take care of this matter.
They just about copied the Kiss add and this is being handled also.
There are no problems with the other two knives, as they both have full frames.

To Daddy Kiss:

Get after those those dirty rotton thieves. It's not nice to steal. I trust your hard earned patents and copyrights will prevail.

Wishing the best.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch,
President

Visit our new web site at <A HREF="http://www.outdooredge.com
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.outdooredge.com
</A>

To: David Bloch

Thank you for the good wishes. Stop by table B-16 at the Guild Show and say hello.

I was always told...you either cut bait, or you fish...It's time to fish!

This stuff run crazy in the knife world!
A few months ago I was planning the Krait neck knife. A friend of mine said there is a neck knife out there that looks like that . He sent it to me . I was floored!!!!!
This kinds stuff is enough to piss me off.

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
Take a look!!!

So Darrel, did you copy that one or did you really design your own??? Just kidding.
David

BTW: I believe I saw an ad for the CRKT KISS that said that it "consisted of 100% stainless steel construction...except the screws of course!"

Why aren't the screws stainless? Aren't most knife screws stainless?

------------------
&lt;OVAL OFFICE JOKE&gt;

I just saw the CUTE today in Blade magazine. At first I thought it was from CRKT, a new design that follows the STIFF KISS, PECK, KISS, etc. But I after initial impressions I figured out it was a rip off. I found it quite funny too.
smile.gif

------------------
Johnny
[]xxxxxx[]=============&gt;

Back