Survivorman and Helle knives collaboration knife.

Helle, an 80 year old knife producing factory in Holmedal, Norway, is proud to announce that Les Stroud musician, filmmaker and outdoor enthusiast, best known in Norway and around the world for the hit Discovery Channel series "Survivorman" - is the newest designer to join the historic Helle team. Les Stroud has a unique history with Helle knives. As a youth, while trekking the rugged Temagami Canadian wilderness, he found a knife lost on the forest floor. Unknown to Stroud at the time, it was a Helle knife. It would prove to be the best knife Stroud would ever use - easy to sharpen with a grip that fit perfectly in his hand. Stroud would use it for years until one day, sadly, the wilderness claimed it back. Years later, Helle became interested in Stroud as Survivorman, attracted to his philosophies, his values, and way of thinking. Helle approached Stroud to design a new knife - a knife that could be used by true outdoor enthusiasts seeking the real thing: the natural way of life. When Stroud told the story from Temagami and realized the knife he found in the forest was actually a Helle knife, a rare opportunity for partnership was forged. Helle is proud to present the new knife designed by Les Stroud and produced by the dedicated and highly skilled craftsmen at Helle in Holmedal. Forged from the fires of integrity and an unwillingness to compromise beliefs, Les Stroud has given this new knife its name - The Temagami. According to Anders Haglund, Sales & Marketing Director, Helle Fabrikker "It is a great honor to present our new knife designer Les Stroud. He has a philosophy which we admire and identify with. His work as an instructor, filmmaker and bushman has resulted a deep knowledge about the importance of a good knife in the wild. Our mutual interest in the outdoors has further strengthened our cooperation and goal to make this an exciting journey." Les Stroud added "When I was young I found a knife on the ground while canoe tripping in Temagami, Ontario. It was an awesome knife that sharpened easy and felt great in my hand. I used it for years until one day, sadly, the wilderness claimed it back. It was a Helle. I don't play Survival - I live it for real. When Helle approached me about designing a knife utilizing their 80 years of experience I was honored. I don't want anything fancy - nothing with a flashlight in the handle or a compass on the side. Just solid, real and durable.....quality. A knife you can actually use in the wilderness. That's how we are going to make this knife. The Helle product line is distributed in the USA and Canada by Sport Hansa LLC. www.sport-hansa.com

Helle is an incredible knife manufacturer. I had a couple of their knives and they easily produce the sharpest production knives i have handled. This sounds something I am interested in. I love Helle, they are a serious company, and I like survivorman. I think this knife will be a real good, no non sesnse knife, unlike bear grylls recent batch of gerber knives that came out.

Helle is an incredible knife manufacturer. I had a couple of their knives and they easily produce the sharpest production knives i have handled. This sounds something I am interested in. I love Helle, they are a serious company, and I like survivorman. I think this knife will be a real good, no non sesnse knife, unlike bear grylls recent batch of gerber knives that came out.

+1
I love my Helle and Les as well...
I can hardly wait.
I've been waiting for him to endorse a knife, and assumed it would always be a scandi, but this is the best possible option I could hope for.
Helles are fantastic knives, with a great look, and a classy company, too.

Man, I'd be great if they did a birch bark handled viking or harding....

I'LL TAKE IT!

Helle is a great knife. And if they have one with design input from Stroud it's gonna be a wilderness performer. Count me in for one. Perfect companion to my Leatherman Charge.

Is there any link to any pictures of the knife or are they still in the design process? I will definitely purchase this knife, I miss my Eggen... don't know why I sold it off.... :(

This knife should be solid. I wonder if it is going to be full tang rather then a rat tang? Les could probably get by with a rat tail just fine... so maybe there is no need for it in his eyes. Helle only has one full tang knife, and it is tiny. But they are some high quality knives though. The steel holds a great edge!

Very cool:thumbup: I noticed on an episode of Beyond Survival not too long ago that Les was using a Helle knife, I wonder if it was the collab knife. Don't recall any particular details of it though.

Saw that earlier today. The press release sounds just like, well, a press release. Full of excitement, but short on information.

What steel? What handle? Size?

I like a different style as a survival knife, particularly where I live and play. I do wish Les all the success in the world though. I like him, and enjoy his show.

Is there any link to any pictures of the knife or are they still in the design process?

The details are probably still being worked out.

HelleFabrikker3.jpg

Leave it to Les to design a solid, functional yet beautiful knife. Another one to look forward to, hope Santa leaves me a little extra knife money under the tree!

Sounds interesting. Helle manufacture tradtional scandinavian knives. Very functional and proven designs. They look very different from your typical american wilderness blade.

Ive never owned or used one, but ive fondled one at a store once. Im looking forward to Helle's/Strouds take on the perfect wilderness blade.

At least he's going with a solid company that at least to my knowledge doesn't make gimmicky crap.

Can't say I'm thrilled.
Having seen the knives Les used on Survivorman I'm not the least bit confident he has the knowledge of what a good knife is, and should do.

In all probability we're going to end up with a regular Helle plus a 300% mark-up, or some gimmicky monstrosity.

Maybe I'm too sceptical, but if Bear Grylls, Ron Hood, Ray Mears, Dave Canterbury, and Myke Hawk coudn't pull it off I doubt this will end up any different.

Can't say I'm thrilled.
Having seen the knives Les used on Survivorman I'm not the least bit confident he has the knowledge of what a good knife is, and should do.

You cant be serious?? :confused:

Stroud is a bona fide outdoors man. And im sure he knows what his knife should be able to do, and that you dont need a expensive prybar to make it in the wild.

You dont have to be a knife nut to become an experienced outdoorsman, who knows how to use a knife.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm thrilled.

In all probability we're going to end up with a regular Helle plus a 300% mark-up, or some gimmicky monstrosity.

Maybe I'm too sceptical, but if Bear Grylls, Ron Hood, Ray Mears, Dave Canterbury, and Myke Hawk coudn't pull it off I doubt this will end up any different.

I think he made it clear in many of his videos that he was trying to duplicate survival situations, and generally ones in which people found themselves unprepared. He used a lot of regular manufactured knives you'd find in most Walmarts. Which are what the majority of the population have, if anything at all.

This is a bit different, and I think that its a good omen he spent this much time, and didn't jump right at a "Survivorman knife" the way Bear did. Especially considering there was a lot of pressure from fans asking him to do so.
Helle is a pretty classy company, that have been around for 80 years making knives for use in a very harsh climate. Ragnar doesn't have a single knife of theirs for more than $95.

His quote was "I dont want anything fancy - nothing with a flashlight in the handle or a compass on the side. Just solid, real and durable.....quality. A knife you can actually use in the wilderness."
I'd say thats a pretty darn good jumping off point for Les and Helle.

You cant be serious?? :confused

Stroud is a bona fide outdoors man. And im sure he knows what his knife should be able to do, and that you dont need a expensive prybar to make it in the wild.

You dont have to be a knife nut to become an experienced outdoorsman, who knows how to use a knife.

That sounded too harsh.
Stroud can handle himself well, I have no doubt about it.
There are plenty of seasoned hunters running around with dull Winchester knives, but I wouldn't trust their ability to design a knife either.

That sounded too harsh.
Stroud can handle himself well, I have no doubt about it.
There are plenty of seasoned hunters running around with dull Winchester knives, but I wouldn't trust their ability to design a knife either.

No harshness meant. Ive always tried to write to my fellow forumites, as i would if we were standing and talking face-to-face. But sometimes things are lost in the process.

And i follow your logic :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back