Survivors favorite EDC flashlights of choice?

First... has this been asked before?
I'm not active in the rest of BF... so I have no clue what goes on there.

That pocket dump thread got to me! I decided my EDC flashlight was lacking.
I used to have a Fenix e11 that ran on AA. Loved that light. Sadly I left it in my coveralls and it never made it back from the cleaning service.
I have lots of lights that run on 18650, but they are just too bulky for my edc needs.

So I'm looking at smaller lights that run on one AA or 14500...
AAA powered lights are just too small for my meathooks and I'm not looking to add anymore stuff to my keychain.

Who's running a light that fits my criteria?
Would like to keep costs at $60 and under....

I have a Surefire Sidekick on my key chain. Awesome little light that puts out 300 lumens. Another plus is its rechargeable. Don't have to keep it on a key chain either.

I have a thrunite tn 12.
Super powerful light and not to big at all.
Only downside is the battery drains very quickly.

Well worth it but :thumbup:

And it may not fit your criteria 100%, but its worth looking into if you want something ridiculously powerful in a small package.

I have a thrunite tn 12.
Super powerful light and not to big at all.
Only downside is the battery drains very quickly.

Well worth it but :thumbup:

And it may not fit your criteria 100%, but its worth looking into if you want something ridiculously powerful in a small package.

I'm also a huge fan of flashlights that use 18650 batteries. They're a bit on the large side for EDC purposes for some people, but I really like my Olight M1X striker.

I have a fenix PD 35 perfect size and lumen output around 900 . Several modes ranging from 100 lumens up so you can make the batteries last !

I also have the Fenix PD 35, awesome light.
I also keep a smaller Fenix E12 in my pocket most times.

Oops sorry my fenix ld12 would work for you up to 320 lumens runs on aa I have had no issues with fenix so I tend to stick with certain brands

My fav light ever is a Surefire Titan with a Ti bead on a short lanyard. I have XL hands and it fits and works great. Dual modes are really usable, battery life is great and it is probably the most reliable light I've had. It's is AAA but I thought it was worth a mention.

My favorite small edc light is an Olight S1A or Thrunite T10T, if I want a little more power, Zebralight SC62 warm and for a tough as nails headlamp it's hard to beat an Armytek Tiara A1 pro or Wizard Pro

The Fenix LD09 is a great little AA powered light with a nice throw.
c8220773a829ceafb4d95fab7532afa2.jpg

fb5e722d48dbc4d18cf5dacd6454a396.jpg

Anything Fenix... hands down the best bang for buck high end lights.. and I have many. I have surefie, nitecore,streamlight and I keep comming back to fenix.

PD35 or PD35Tac are fantastic EDCs.
I also recently got the FD41 which to my knowledge is the only high end adjustable beam light there is...

Many good recommends….I even have a few of them. But like I said 18650 lights just aren't for me to carry everyday…..they stay in the truck and in various places throughout the house.

I'm also a huge fan of flashlights that use 18650 batteries. They're a bit on the large side for EDC purposes for some people, but I really like my Olight M1X striker.

Absolutely agreed. Some people find them large - and they are in comparison to other options out there- but for me they are just the right size.
Only problem is trying to find the 18650 batteries here in Aus...
Usually have to hit up evilbay.

But nonetheless it will light up an entire room as if it were daylight seeping through a huge window just by pointing the light up towards the roof.
I have multiple small lights in the ceiling in my room, some are broken though, but the torch provides more light across the entire room when shinning up towards the roof, compared with the combination of half my ceiling lights together.
Its impressive

Here is the size of it Riverrunner, if you would consider a large edc type

iWpjwyS.jpg

Last edited:
RiverRunner,
You aren't very specific as to what your "criteria" are, other than wanting an AA/14500 light. That leaves a pretty wide group while ruling out some excellent alternatives.
I'm not "a Survivor"; but I have a few different lights that I carry, depending on the circumstances. The Olight S2 is a great EDC light...it takes an 18650; but I find it very pocketable. I have a handful of AA/14500 lights; but the only one I carry anymore is an Olight S1A. (The others are either stashed in packs or set aside.)
They're really are a lot of great lights out there...if you identify more of what you want in a light (ie length, switch type, lumens, etc) we can better help point you in the right direction.

Here are the S2 and S1A with a Fenix E11 and E12, for size comparison. (I chose copper; but they are both available in hard anodized aluminum)
wgwvccZ.jpg

Last edited:
Fenix E11. simple and small while taking AA batteries. not sure if its still made.

My favorite AA is the Eagletac 25A clicky. Mine are in titanium but they are in your price range in aluminum. (And my favorite 18650 is the 25LC2.)

A cheaper but very good alternative is the Thrunite Archer 1A. It's almost as big as Eagletac's 25LC2, however -- but it's a tank.

And if it's throw you want in a single AA torch, then go for a Zebralight SC5 -- spendy but a monster!

Fenix E11. simple and small while taking AA batteries. not sure if its still made.

I did a small bit of searching and all I'm seeing for sale is the E12. The E12 looks great, though!

Dragfree, I have an archer 2A and really like it. I've come really close to purchasing the little brother for more EDC type stuff.

RiverRunner,
You aren't very specific as to what your "criteria" are, other than wanting an AA/14500 light. That leaves a pretty wide group while ruling out some excellent alternatives.
I'm not "a Survivor"; but I have a few different lights that I carry, depending on the circumstances. The Olight S2 is a great EDC light...it takes an 18650; but I find it very pocketable. I have a handful of AA/14500 lights; but the only one I carry anymore is an Olight S1A. (The others are either stashed in packs or set aside.)
They're really are a lot of great lights out there...if you identify more of what you want in a light (ie length, switch type, lumens, etc) we can better help point you in the right direction.

Here are the S2 and S1A with a Fenix E11 and E12, for size comparison. (I chose copper; but they are both available in hard anodized aluminum)
wgwvccZ.jpg

Thanks for your reply…. and thank you for the comparison pictures. They have confirmed my size needs.
I don't want to pack a 18650 light. I have a few already and find them not comfortable to carry.
Thus the search for a replacement to my old trusty E11.
What do I need in an EDC light for my needs? Just day to day doings of one who leads a pretty normal suburban life…

-looking under the couch for my toddlers minion toy…
-shining a light on the dog when my wife says she feels a bump on him…
-lighting up the back of my closet looking for that missing shirt….
-illuminating the front door when we get home late and forgot to leave the light on….
-those are just a few of my boring needs for an EDC……
the more exiting needs may include…
-navigating my way out of an unlit building during a power outage or disaster…
-the possibility of needing to navigate my way out of the park if I find myself running late while walking the dog. (if I know I'm walking him at night, I already have a dedicated 18650 light for that task)
-shining some light into my back shed when taking out the garbage to see if the rats or racoons have taken up residents again…

So…. like I said… AA or 14500 platform would be just about right I figure..

Saying all that… i like stuff… and hearing about the newest and coolest is fun.

Back