SW Virginia Trip

Back yesterday from a trip to the SW Virginia Mountains. I stopped on the way up, and had lunch with Jozilla and his wonder dog Sheila. While a nice dog, Sheila is no where as attractive as Joe's wife. :)
We played with a lot of knives and machetes, and neither of us cut ourselves! I was able to show Joe my new "Osceola Companion" knife in S30V, and to give it a work out in his back yard bushcraft studio.

One of the hikes I did in Virginia after leaving Joe's place, was with my two brothers. One lives in Vegas, the other in Michigan. With me in FL, I don't see them often.
We did two nights up on Big Walker Mountain in the Jefferson National Forest. We packed light, with just a small Eureka tent, and a 10 X 10 tarp from BCUSA.
It rained both nights, but we were dry and comfortable. Meals were fruit, oatmeal, pre cooked bacon, Mountain House, some MREs, and snacks.
Built fires, played with knives, er, tested new knives, and had a wonderful time.
WalkerMountain.jpg

I am in the middle here
WalkerMountain2.jpg

My new woods knife. I designed it, and had it made for me by Tim Olt.
WalkerMountain3.jpg

Nice country that and fine looking knife you have there. I live in Roanoke and my relatives are salted from here to Grayson County in the same mountains you visited. Glad you got to spend time with family and enjoy the mountain.

2Door

My mother is from the other side of Pound Mountain, Fleming-Neon, Kentucky. She lives down in Wise, Virginia now. Beautiful country. I lived right outside of Pound for about ten months back in the mid-80s. Ginseng and Timber Rattlers!

Thanks for the post and pics. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I was in that area July 22nd-24th. We camped at the primitive section of Hurricaine Campground (located between Troutdale and Marion). Absolutely beautiful! Drove up to the top of White Top Mountain--stunning views! The AT crosses the highways at several places in that area. Also some of the best mountain stream fly fishing anywhere (head waters of the Holston River). Many fun things to do there and, most importantly to me, it's not a commercialized tourist trap....
Hey Don Rearic, I live about 40 minutes from Fleming-Neon (hear Hazard)..Yes sir, Ginseng and Rattlers--and now even Elk!

Love that South Holston River too.

There's a reason I gravitated back to this part of Virginia after school. Virginia has it all. Beaches, mountains, cities, small towns, the works. I've always loved my State.

A healthy mix of dems and repubs seems to keep our legislation in check too, which is a nice touch.

Glad you guys had a great time! :)

Professor.

Hey Don Rearic, I live about 40 minutes from Fleming-Neon (hear Hazard)..Yes sir, Ginseng and Rattlers--and now even Elk!

Elk! That's cool!

If I could retire right now and buy a place, it would be right on the Kentucky side of Pound Mountain...I'd like to have a piece of split property actually, half in Kentucky and half in Virginia, right up on the line. That'd be great.

There are places down there that are just stunning. Rugged, too!

My family has been living up in those hollers and valleys for over 250 years now. The part of the AT accessed by Crawfish Valley is my favorite section. All that bottom land, and thousands of acres of what is now the Jefferson National Forest used to belong to the family.
Here is a shot from the top of Walker Mt, looking down into Rich Valley.
IMG_0380resized.jpg

Back yesterday from a trip to the SW Virginia Mountains.
I am in the middle here
WalkerMountain2.jpg

QUOTE]

I know this isn't on topic to your thread but I've just got to say it. What a wonderful picture of you and your two brothers. I hope you'll cherish that picture and this experience with them forever.

I don't have a single living blood relative. My Sister was the last to go 3-years ago. What I'd give to go camping with her and perhaps a favorite cousin or two.

Back on topic.

When I was stationed in Washington, D.C. while in the Navy, we used to camp down in that area and up in the George Washington National Forest too. The countryside is just beautiful. It looks like a good time was had by all. Your new knife looks sharp (pun intended). Thanks for the trip report.

Elk! That's cool!

If I could retire right now and buy a place, it would be right on the Kentucky side of Pound Mountain...I'd like to have a piece of split property actually, half in Kentucky and half in Virginia, right up on the line. That'd be great.

There are places down there that are just stunning. Rugged, too!

Well if you did that you would live about 30min from my parents house :D Alot of my fathers side of the family lives in Wise/Pound & my Dad also spent most of his teenage years livingin that area. I like the Ky side ALOT better;)

as for the pics...looks like you had a great time 'Ol Bud :thumbup:

The only thing that would crank me off about Kentucky is the prohibition against slingshots for small game. Is it still illegal to use them to hunt with down there? I just stayed on my sister's property way back when in Virginia and hunted with them.

The only thing that would crank me off about Kentucky is the prohibition against slingshots for small game. Is it still illegal to use them to hunt with down there? I just stayed on my sister's property way back when in Virginia and hunted with them.

Not sure 'ol Bud....I've never hunted with a slingshot, I've shot things all to pieces with my Wrist rocket but never really tried to hunt with one :D
Sounds like fun !

One last picture for this thread. This was near Chestnut Ridge on the AT. Mid morning, in the rain and mist.
MistontheTrail.jpg

Man, that's nice. Looks kinda our typical swampy summer weather!

Professor.

Love that South Holston River too.

There's a reason I gravitated back to this part of Virginia after school. Virginia has it all. Beaches, mountains, cities, small towns, the works. I've always loved my State.

A healthy mix of dems and repubs seems to keep our legislation in check too, which is a nice touch.

Glad you guys had a great time! :)

Professor.

a lot like NC... SW va is beautiful too.. The Holston i heard makes for some challenging fly fishign (trout)

Great pictures Mann! LOVED that tarp!!!
here are a few more pictures from the visit:

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02179.jpg

DSC02174.jpg

Great having you stop by! I'm sorry that I couldn't spend more time with ya

Thanks for putting up those extra pictures Joe.

I had a great time visiting, and enjoyed the sights, as well as the eats.

Open invitation if you are ever headed South.

:rolleyes:Glad to hear you enjoyed SW Virginia. I just don't get enough free time to woods-bum around there, myself. The territory is truly beautiful.

Keep enjoying life!:thumbup:

Back