Swamp Comp factory preservitive

Had to grab a coated and SC Mega Ratweiler, these are just pure WIN from start to finish. The swamp comp version really has me.....but I have concerns about long term use and storage in varying temps and humidity. I found the factory preservative applied to the swamp comp finish to have excellent properties that I would like to be able to use. Can anyone tell me what the product is ? I was thinking something along the lines of Veto 342 that was applied very lightly. Any insight or comments from the swamp appreciated...….Thanks !

I'm not sure what they use exactly, but a standard CLP paste will be a great choice. I use seal1 from collectorknives (I'm sure it's available elsewhere too). I have had good experiences with it on my axes, compared to a less viscous formula like 3-in-1 oil, though 3-in-1 worked well until I started storing things in a humid basement as my collection of edged tools grew.

https://www.collectorknives.net/shop/accessories/seal1-clp-plus-paste-knife-protector/

Just a thought or two:

I use Singer Sewing Machine Oil on all my high carbon steel edged blades and tools. I started using it after getting into fine Japanese swords and inspired pieces. The Japanese traditionally have used what they call Choji oil for centuries. This, turns out, is high quality mineral oil with a tiny bit of pure oil of cloves (for scent only). Singer oil is about the highest quality mineral oil on the market, not expensive, and readily available.

I picked up a couple bottles at JoAnne's years ago and still have one and a half bottles despite using this stuff all the time. I keep a large, flannel, gun bore cleaning patch lightly oiled with the stuff (meaning you only need a few drops around the patch, then fold and mush around to spread it) in my day and go-kits. After a few wipes on a separate cloth to clean off moisture or whatever, then a quick, light swipe or two with the oil patch and good to go. Great for Nihonto (and "Amerihonto"), but also my old carbon RMK's, FB's now, GB axes, etc. (a key is to not over oil the blade so junk won't stick to the oil).

Long, long ago (yeah like the '70's and '80's - sigh), for longer term storage or travel/use in really foul, wet weather, I used to coat the blades with a heavy gun oil like paste called RIG. Worked great for that. Not sure if it is still made. Might have a look, myself.

Also, lots of collectors and museums around the world use Renaissance Wax. Puts a great translucent fine coat of fine wax over the steel. Easy to score on the Net. Very good for long term storage and won't soak into leather or anything else so it stays on the steel.

Thanks, bikerector, for the Seal1 tip!!! Going to look into that, too.

Thanks MB, I looked at the RP-342 but dismissed it. Thanks for the clarification and thanks too all who have provided options, I'm looking at them all.

I was thinking cosmoline too. I've wiped a lot of that stuff off a couple old Mosin Nagant and Enfield rifles and a bunch of old AK mags.

I think I'm going to replace that with Renaissance Wax. It might not be as good against rust, but it's a lot cleaner.

Last edited:
Was thinking of forcing a patina with yellow mustard as well, but we don't eat yellow mustard at home... But recently bought a big jug of white vinegar. I've put a very dark patina on 1095 before. I wonder how white vinegar would do on 52100/SR-101?

Nice! Generally I have used mustards and hot peppers - works like a charm, too.

It's odd. Each 5hing makes a different type of patina finish.

Jalapenos and tomatoes leave an oil slickish type
Undercooked, read just right, steak and chicken leave a very cool purple color
Mustards and sauces leave a very cool outline.

Fun shit.

When does my swamp rat get here?

Patina for the win bro! Best option so you don’t have to lose sleep. SR101 is FANTASTIC steel but it will rust...quickly...if not properly cared for.

It's odd. Each 5hing makes a different type of patina finish.

Jalapenos and tomatoes leave an oil slickish type
Undercooked, read just right, steak and chicken leave a very cool purple color
Mustards and sauces leave a very cool outline.

Fun shit.

When does my swamp rat get here?
I don't think you are supposed to eat undercooked chicken...

Back