Swamp Rat and Sharpmaker

Dave,
In order to maintain the convex edge the best thing to use is a leather strop or sandpaper and a mouse pad.

I have used my sharpmaker to sharpen mine but you have to adjust how you hold the knife so the edge is hitting the stones, otherwise you'll just hit the shoulder(or top of the convex) I use the 40 degree setting but rotate the edge into the stone slightly. Mark your edge with a marker and give it a couple of swipes and you'll get the idea.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
:D:D

Thanks Eric,
for the sandpaper/mousepad method, what grit sandpaper to use and what angle to hold the knife while sharpening? Somewhere I saw to use 800 grit, but at the local Home Depot finest they had was 600, who / what type of store supplies finer sandpaper?

thanks,
dave

Dave,
For the finer stuff goto a auto body supply. I've been using some 1000 grit I had left over from my last project.

Wetdog,
Thanks for the heads up on the Sandpaper. I got my Strop from HandAmerican but didn't know they had sandpaper :D:D:D

Lee Valley is another source for finer grit sandpapers, as well as chromium oxide honing compound. Woodworkers use them for sharpening and honing woodplane blades and carving chisels. The sizes of sandpaper they offer are 15 micron (~1000x), 5 micron (~2500x), and 0.5 micron (~9000x). To check out Lee Valley's sandpaper, click on the "Micro-abrasive sheets" link from this page.

Do all Rats come with a convex adge? If not, what type of edge does the Bandicoot have?

Thanks.....

Back