1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Uncle Timbo, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Deal! Every time one of us knocks an elk down we look over and say 'well, the fun's over!' :D

[​IMG]

bikerector and Uncle Timbo like this.
  2. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Nice herd you have there. Eeny, meny, miny.....

3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    More like Sugar Beet Raider #1, 2, 3...… ;) :D

4. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Was hoping to get a little campfire time this morning for some backyard camping before a trip next week. It's raining so I guess I did the next best thing, strip the coating off a knife. Finally. Sometimes I forget how much better these look without the crinkle coat... which is the worst looking coating there is, IMO. I also hate how it makes it harder to strop and edge and SR101 loves a loaded strop.

Also, my fancy new phone actually captures orange in all it's gloriousness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    100% improvement. Doesn't look like you found any pecker tracks underneath. That's always a good thing. What role will this puppy fill?

6. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Compact wood splitter mostly. It's pretty thick stock for a 5" blade, but it really isn't the worst slicer. It's really comparable to the RMD, really, but that was also a little obtuse for me. The FFG RMD is on order though, so that should be fabulous.

I figure I could pair this with a Kephart, one of the 3 I have, and use the safety mutt for the dirty work and the Kephart for the food prep.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  7. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Hey BE, what's the ETA on that FFG/RMD?

8. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    It was the old 6-600 week wait time deal... or it feels like 600 sometimes. I think next month is realistic.

Oh, and an update on the safety mutt worked flawlessly for a little wood splitter for getting kindling ready. It's thicker then I generally prefer for such a short knife but I think that adds to it's ability to spread wood.

Paired with the smaller JK in my sig, starting fires in the wet wasn't a problem at all, though I cheated by buying and using a little fatwood from menards.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  9. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    I hope you do get it next month. Just in time for some fall activities. Maybe carving that pumpkin for your new little punkin. :)

10. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    That would be an interesting knife choice, but might be fun to test out it's agility. S'pose I can use the RW to smash it up when done too. Halloween entertainment for all ages.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  11. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    I grew about a 1/2 dozen Halloween sized ones this summer. Might be fun to chop em up after Halloween. :)

bikerector likes this.
  12. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Damn good looking Taliwhacker FS in Fixed Blades.

13. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I always was partial to the taliwhacker le

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  14. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    bikerector likes this.
  15. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    I had one for a long time. Sharpest I've ever been able to get a blade is that old taliwacker in sr101.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  16. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    I hope SWAMPRAT and scrapyard decide to re release the mud and safety mutt series.

17. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    So true...so true! ;):D

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  18. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Y'all are making me want one.

19. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Guys, there's a GEORGEOUS INFI RATMANDU for sale in our exchange area. That knife is BEAUTIFUL!

20. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    They've really been marking them up. One was nearly $100 over the original sale price. Not saying it's not worth it, but it's a bit tough to swallow when you know they're flipping them.

Having said that, still waiting for my ding :cool:

Hard Knocks and Uncle Timbo like this.