Swamp Rat and Wombat

Currawong

Gold Member
A baby wombat has been hanging around my house the last couple of days.
w1.jpg

w7.jpg

I followed it for a bit
w2.jpg

Lots of this around
w3.jpg

Took some swamp rat and wombat pics
w5.jpg

I got too close! It charged me!! ...At a slow jog, not a run. :D

I wondered what it's attack would be? It gently head-butted my foot until I backed off a little bit.

Here it is charging :eek::eek:
w4.jpg

I backed off to about one metre away and now it is happy again :) Back to eating grass.
w6.jpg

Looks like a nice meal .are they good eating.
You need to get a pic with a roo with a mistress tucked into the pouch .lol.
Great pics

Spose youd have to track em thru the bush and they could be just after your infi .
Great pics now i must get one of my rmd and a leprechaun .

That wombat looks like a cool little woods companion. Can they be domesticated? If so, you need to take it with you next time you go exploring old mining camps. Seems like it could alert you of any danger by dropping some of those little squares and protect you with its vicious charge ! :D:D:D

That wombat looks like a cool little woods companion. Can they be domesticated?

Not domesticated as such, to my knowledge, but they become familiar with you being around.

Once I stayed at a woman's house, a small stone cottage she'd built herself in a remote spot in the rainforest - Literally surrounded by old growth rainforest, trees right up to her door. We were sitting around in her small one-room cottage at night, watching the fire and chatting, and there was a knock at the door!! There are no houses for many miles around... she had an 8 kilometre long driveway... and it is pitch black outside, and she lives alone.

She wandered over to the door, opened it, and a wombat walked in. It had been knocking to be let in !! It walked to the middle of the room and then just stood there with it's slow, patient, stupid wombat stare and waited. She came back with a plate of oats and put it down and it started to eat them with a loud munching sound.

Wombats eat slowly so it took a long time, and I went back to watching the fire and chatting. Then I heard another knock at the door. The wombat had finished its oats and was knocking to be let out !! She opened the door and off it wandered. She said it did that every night.

Not domesticated as such, to my knowledge, but they become familiar with you being around.

Once I stayed at a woman's house, a small stone cottage she'd built herself in a remote spot in the rainforest - Literally surrounded by old growth rainforest, trees right up to her door. We were sitting around in her small one-room cottage at night, watching the fire and chatting, and there was a knock at the door!! There are no houses for many miles around... she had an 8 kilometre long driveway... and it is pitch black outside, and she lives alone.

She wandered over to the door, opened it, and a wombat walked in. It had been knocking to be let in !! It walked to the middle of the room and then just stood there with it's slow, patient, stupid wombat stare and waited. She came back with a plate of oats and put it down and it started to eat them with a loud munching sound.

Wombats eat slowly so it took a long time, and I went back to watching the fire and chatting. Then I heard another knock at the door. The wombat had finished its oats and was knocking to be let out !! She opened the door and off it wandered. She said it did that every night.
That is a cool story. That's my kind of pet! It still can do its thing in nature but just comes to hang out and eat. Oats are also a nice, inexpensive diet. Our cat eats raw food that costs $30 a week! She also like to crawl in our bed and purr really loud at all hours of the night.

What would it do if you tried to pick it up?

I'm going to have to watch that 12 minute YT video on the critter.

Well I've picked them up before so I can answer that. They try to bite you. Also, they're heavier than they look, so you don't want to carry them very far.
They're like little bowling balls with teeth! :D:D:D Very cool! :thumbsup::cool:

We don't have much wildlife in our area besides what we have as pets - snakes, lizards, chickens, and a cat so I always enjoy pics of the animals from Oz. I've read some stuff about roos being a bit of a nuisance but I wasn't sure about Wombats. They look pretty c:cool::cool:l.

This sounds so far-fetched it's hard to believe!!
My girls say they look fuzzy and cute and would like to have a few as pets :)

Back