Recommendation? Swamp Rat Rattle Hawk Or Ben Tendick Valkyrie.

I wanted to know which hawk would better suit me for my needs. I love the look of both of then. But would like some input and advice on which to choose. My main Concern Is Edge Strength, Toughness And Chipping Resistance. Which Of The 2 Would Hold Up To Harder Destructive Materials?

The BRT Valkyrie is made with 4140, a common medium carbon tool steel, so it will have great toughness but not excellent edge holding capabilities.
The Rattle Hawk is made from SR-101, renowned for it's toughness AND edge holding capabilities. Swamp rat is reputed to do a fine job of tempering it.

I'm not a hawk guy but IMO the Rattle Hawk should easily out perform the Valkyrie.

If you actually need a breaching tool then consider buying a commercially made tool. Many great choices are availabe for first responders.

If you ask Ben nicely, he will make one out of L6 or maybe even 3V,but at a price.....a very high one for 3V. But seriously, the reason that people like RMJ, James Helms, Ben Tendick and others use 4140 for hawks is because it is reasonably priced and very tough. The RattleHawk is cheaper and it is made out of 52100, most likely HT'ed using the lower austenizing heat. It is tough stuff and will CUT better than 4140, but it is probably not tougher, especially when it comes to torsional strength, which I would think would be a bigger factor with a hawk than with a knife. If you want crazy tough from a steel that will cut and doesn't cost $150-200 just for the blank, then L6 would be a good choice.

I've never handled a Rattle hawk.
Looking at it's design though, it looks far more like a fighting hawk. Sharp all the way around. Not that that is a bad thing.

Mine is more of a tool than a purpose built fighting hawk. Some of the design features on mine that make it more tool like. Are the full length handle so you can choke up on the axe for any task. A spike designed to fit in a master lock for breaking them, its strong enough to be used for digging and punching holes in metal, but pointy enough to still puncture tires. (See video's below)

I'd love to do a run of 3V hawks, but yeah it would price prohibitive to most folks.

There are lots of great options for hawks these days, James Helm and RMJ tactical both make fantastic products as well.

FWIW I haven't handled either, but I've spent significant time testing and designing hawks, and I'd go for the BRT hands down. The design of the rattle hawk is severely lacking in comparison IMO, from the strange bit shape with a pointless flat spot, the overground toe, excessively pointed beard, sharp edges everywhere, lack of full length handle. As Ben suggested, it looks like it was designed more as a weapon than a purpose built tool.

Ben, I've done some "intellectual exercises" to try and figure out how it would make economic sense to use 3v or L6 flat stock to make hawks. The trick seems to be that you get a piece wide enough to "overlap" the hawks so you could get say 4 15 inchers out of a 36 x 10 inch sheet and then use the "waste" materials onthe sides to make some big chopper knives. Obviously, L6 would be easier because you could forge the waste steel into more usable sizes and thicknesses and get even more pieces from a sheet especially if you were using say the .312 stock. I would probably be inclined to use the two toughness peaks for L6 and do hawks at 58Rc or so and knives at 61Rc. I guess that you could also make the hawk heads narrower and forge out the cutting edge and spike a little bit. 80CrV2 might be the optimum steel for a job like that as it can be easily forged, isn't crazy expensive and we know from Dan Winkler's experience that it makes good hard use knives AND hawks.
I've never handled a Rattle hawk.
Looking at it's design though, it looks far more like a fighting hawk. Sharp all the way around. Not that that is a bad thing.

Mine is more of a tool than a purpose built fighting hawk. Some of the design features on mine that make it more tool like. Are the full length handle so you can choke up on the axe for any task. A spike designed to fit in a master lock for breaking them, its strong enough to be used for digging and punching holes in metal, but pointy enough to still puncture tires. (See video's below)

I'd love to do a run of 3V hawks, but yeah it would price prohibitive to most folks.

There are lots of great options for hawks these days, James Helm and RMJ tactical both make fantastic products as well.

Last edited:
Back