Swamp Rat vs Esee

Patriot builds excellent sheaths. If you're leaning that way, I would have no reservations in going with Skyler.

chiral.grolim reviewed the new version GSO 5.1, and in that review he included an Esee 6 and a Swamprat Ratmandu. You might check it out as it's got a lot of good information on both the Esee 6 and the RMD.

Here's another comparison pic for the heck of it:

242yltt.jpg

Top to bottom: RMD, ESEE-4, Rodent Trail, Rodent Solution, Izula.

I ordered the RMD above, then within days found a RMD LE on the exchange that became my user. Despite having 2 RMDs, I still managed to justify JMD and BOSS Jack orders... :D

I'm not a collector, I just like trying out new blades and tend not to let go of the old ones :thumbup:

I ordered the RMD above, then within days found a RMD LE on the exchange that became my user. Despite having 2 RMDs, I still managed to justify JMD and BOSS Jack orders... :D

I'm not a collector, I just like trying out new blades and tend not to let go of the old ones :thumbup:

I think I am infected with just that type of justification reasoning :)

I would really like to see the swamp build the rodent solution with a couple of tweaks. Skeletonize that tang to lighten it up, and use thin stock for the blade!! Maybe .125 or even .100, and leave it square-spined. And I sure wouldn't turn it down built that way in Elmax. Do what Dan does, just rob some from Jerry :D

The rodent solution has got to be one of the most comfortable knives I've handled, and it's got a great blade profile. But for me, it's just overbuilt in it's size.

That RT looks good with the bruisers on it Apophis.

I think I am infected with just that type of justification reasoning :)

I would really like to see the swamp build the rodent solution with a couple of tweaks. Skeletonize that tang to lighten it up, and use thin stock for the blade!! Maybe .125 or even .100, and leave it square-spined. And I sure wouldn't turn it down built that way in Elmax. Do what Dan does, just rob some from Jerry :D

The rodent solution has got to be one of the most comfortable knives I've handled, and it's got a great blade profile. But for me, it's just overbuilt in it's size.

That RT looks good with the bruisers on it Apophis.

Thanks on the RT compliment! I was shocked that no one snapped it up off the exchange before I found it several pages deep with a few price drops.

Agree on the RS comments as well. I prefer the Trail in part because the longer blade helps with the balance a bit. The Scrapmax 460 has been on my list for a long time but other blades always seem to be ahead of it when they pop up on the exchange. Would love to see that style of blade paired up with a skeletonized Solution handle.

I have an ESEE 5 and an RMD LE. The swamp rat is so much more comfortable to use...it just fits in the hand. I'm not knocking the ESSE...it's just a different tool. If I could only have one. The RMD wins all day everyday.

Hey so one last question for you guys. I'm about to order a rodent 3 cause I can't stand not having one and it's been driving me nuts, I think I read that the edges can be a little thick on these, with an obtuse angle. In anyone's opinion who has an R3, should I add a comment to thin the edge at the factory? I like the edge on my esee 3 for instance, slices and cuts fine and easy to sharpen. Should I ask for it to be thinned from what they normally do on the R3, or just get is how they normally make them. I'm sure I've read most people thinned theirs out a bit...

It might be beneficial for you to ask them to thin the edge for you, unless you're happy to spend the time to do it yourself.
On a small knife like R3 you'll be better off with thinner edge.

Well I just ordered it and I included in the comments to thin the edge a bit. Thank you elof_alv for your confirmation that this is a good request to make. My first swamp rat/busse! I'll likely get a couple more cause man I love everything I've been researching about them and the way they look. When I get charged for the full amount I'll be looking for a leather sheath.

If they thin the edge, that's gonna be a wonderful knife. For my use, which include general knifery stuff around the yard, a little kitchen work, a little bushcrafty stuff (although I'm very much not a bushcrafter), it's just hard to beat a RMD. The stock is just thin enough, and the grind just high enough, to make it a great blade. For me, going smaller, I'd take the ESEE-3 over a sub-4" Swampy that is 0.187" thick. Which is probably why I have three ESEE-3's, and zero sub-4" Swamp Rats. But that's just me. Being a pain.

If they thin the edge, that's gonna be a wonderful knife. For my use, which include general knifery stuff around the yard, a little kitchen work, a little bushcrafty stuff (although I'm very much not a bushcrafter), it's just hard to beat a RMD. The stock is just thin enough, and the grind just high enough, to make it a great blade. For me, going smaller, I'd take the ESEE-3 over a sub-4" Swampy that is 0.187" thick. Which is probably why I have three ESEE-3's, and zero sub-4" Swamp Rats. But that's just me. Being a pain.
I honestly tried finding reasons not to buy one and spend another 130 plus another 63 for a sheath from patriot leather, which for me is more than a 300 dollar touch canadian, but I couldn't help it. No sound logic could stop my fingers from adding the R3 to cart and typing in my credit card number. I just like it too much. And this will be my first from this company and I just don't like the izula 2 as much even with custom scales. I just love the way that rodent 3 looks.

Back