Swamp video, hanging with CarolinaRiverRat

Joezilla

Moderator- Wilderness and Survival Skills
Got to hang out with River Rat just recently, had a great time. We spent time down in the swamps near Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie, played with Condor goods, and a totally awesome Hanwei Banshee, and traded stuff for his kukris (hazaa!) Also, we went down into the deep swamps to test out some of the gear for my upcoming amazon trip with amazon 5000. Once again, its absolutely crazy how quickly forum members get comfortable and start talking like we've known eachother for years. I had a great time with him and can't wait to go swamp stomping again.
WATCH IN HD BECAUSE IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO FREAKING RENDER THE THING AND I'M STILL NOT HAPPY WITH THE QUALITY (thats just me being overly dorky with the settings though)

[video=youtube_share;SjrRPbwrRj8]http://youtu.be/SjrRPbwrRj8[/video]

Last edited:
Guess I am going to have to get off my butt and get out the Engineer Bolo out and show people LOL. I hear you Joe on the Forum people. Meet and its like you known them forever.

Thats fun! I've been readying my gear for Amazon 5000 too. I think I've got a good pack put together. LOL at your swamp treking. Mud indeed.

Did you get that brazil stuff sorted out? Did you get the list too?

I'm staying in Peru. We're doing the Iquitos to Tabatinga leg but I'm stopping short of the border and catching a boat back to Iquitos. I did review the gear list and I made a few changes based on what works best for my particular jungle style. Here is what I came up with broken down by function

Fire
Fire Steel
Vaseline cotton balls in an ibuprofen bottle wrapped with ranger bands
3 bic lighters

Food/Water

MSR Titan Pot
Snow Peak spork
two 32 ounce nalgene bottles
Coleman's water purification tabs
4 ounces soy sauce
4 ounces Sriracha

Sleeping/Shelter
Outback single rectangular mosquito net (just in case)
MSR E Wing Tarp
Blackbird Warbonnet single bottom hammock
Gossamer gear ultralight sleeping pad
ear plugs

Feet
Altama Domestic jungle boots (without the steel plate)
crocks
2 pairs of thin wool socks (one to be kept dry)
I'm also bringing some thin nylon dress socks to try

Clothing
REI convertible nylon pants
Exofficio Geotreker shirt
Arcterix nylon short sleaved shirt
5.11 tactical nylon belt
Condor baseball style hat
3 bandanas

Utility/Nav
My newly modified Altoids fishing kit (updated after much experimentation in the field)
Fenix LD-20 with head band and red cap
two AA Lithium batteries for extra
Base plate style compass
Garmin Rino 655T GPS/Radio
95 feet of orange paracord - one 25 foot length and the rest in 10
Gloves

Knives
My lawnmower blade parang/sheath

The rest are luxury and trade:
BK16 modified for jungle
HEST 2.0
Leatherman Juice 2

First Aid
4X4 gauze pads
Various band aids
mole skin
duct tape
athletic tape
my modified ball point pen needle safe with needles/thread
a big tube of petroleum jelly
a container with ibuprofen/benedryl
sun screen
purell
baby wipes
cipro
malaria pills

MISC
Toothbrush/toothpaste
write in the rain notebook with pens
Loksak bags of various sizes
Marathon Tritium watch with date

For a pack I am switching from the Junglas pack to a Maxpedition Vulture 2. They are very similar packs. The reason I switched is because the Vulture 2 has basically the same capabilities but has more room and weighs a lot less. Both are fine packs.

I haven't weighed the pack but I've hiked hours with the thing and it is extremely comfortable. Certainly well under 20 pounds. I think this is the lightest I've ever gone but I have all of the same functionality. It was just a matter of finding better, more purpose suited gear. The MSR E-Wing was a HUGE improvement over my last 2 jungle packs.

Last edited:
I'm having a cuben fiber version of the MSR Ewing made, I love it so much.

Did you see he had a bivy sack in there. Bivy sack in the jungle.....Might as well make a human tamale.

I'll be posting up my list as well, with a video here soon. Check out Grand trunks mosquito net

Here is a video of my stuff. Not sure whether anyone would be interested.

[video=youtube;CkulgBcdZX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkulgBcdZX4[/video]

What is a Cuban fiber version of an E-Wing? And yeah, some of the gear choices they made had me scratching my head. But then I remembered that they were crossing mountains and everything else during the expedition. If you take the whole of the trip as the guide for a gear list, it makes a lot more sense.

You are spot on with your gear, it mirrors mine very well. I'm waiting for the tarp (weighs half as much as the e-wing) before I get the video. That gear list was just for our jungle trip. He has one for mtns, desert, and the other environs too

Last edited:
Hah, just watching the video now. I'm bringing the Titan, Soy sauce, trade goods, crocs

Just got a new light today, a THROW MONSTER on 2 AAs... The dereelight javelin. You know how I am on wanting to spot animals far off...I'm liking it only it weighs a bit more with a huge head.

Just got a new light today, a THROW MONSTER on 2 AAs... The dereelight javelin. You know how I am on wanting to spot animals far off...I'm liking it only it weighs a bit more with a huge head.

I'm gonna go with the old standby for this trip. The thing works. If it ever breaks or wears out I will be shedding tears. Hopefully I'll be able to find another light that is comparable in quality.

Back