Swayback... instant classic!

Just got the knife in and it’s lovely. <snip> I immediately took off the clip and put it in a slip I made this weekend. Glad I got the measurements right.

Not a fan of the knife but I do like the slipcase you made for it.

You should see if other Swayback fans would be interested in buying it and consider making them to order.

Got mine (off the exchange) yesterday. I really like it a lot. Bigger than I expected, a good thing. I hated the clip initially, but must admit it has grown on me; seems unusually stout - I may check with my calipers to see if the stock is thicker. Overall it reaffirms my affinity for Marcin's design chops. Pics:

VxyGZ7Ah.jpg

A6hH5xZh.jpg

sv2q7j9h.jpg

z1Z67TKh.jpg

5nouF3Eh.jpg

xRTXIWjh.jpg

UF5q4xah.jpg

SQrwtMYh.jpg

m5ETrkIh.jpg

Last edited:
2020-08-14 18.06.15.jpg 2020-08-14 18.06.48.jpg 2020-08-14 18.07.16.jpg 2020-08-14 18.07.41.jpg 2020-08-14 18.08.11.jpg
Apurvis clip came today! Retention is fantastic, No noticeable Hotspots, And color/finish matches well.
Looking at the prototype picture that was released, Mine seems to tilted towards the upper part of the frame and the machine work on the inside relief hole is a tad unrefined. Overall I'm really happy with the product as I didn’t like the available aftermarket clips others were showing.

MXG clip...
0wrl5gN.jpg
Which one is that? I see a "regular" one listed and one for the Paysan. That IMHO is the perfect clip for the Slysz Swayback. I'd love to see some other angles, such as from the top down (or vice versa) and from the rear.

I'll just comment further here in this thread vs. the many Swayback clip threads already started.

I just got my Swayback today via Blade HQ preorder. I would seem they got their knives from a later run.

I do not know what it is but the clip is not as glaring off in person. The finish on the clip matches the finish on the blade and hardware so the look is not jarring.

I don't know if there was a CQI change to the clip (seems less likely) or in the original reveal image the clip was wrong/pre-production/or someone got too frisky with photoshop levels when doing the post production on the shoot.

At this point I don't feel like I need to change it.

I'll just comment further here in this thread vs. the many Swayback clip threads already started.

I just got my Swayback today via Blade HQ preorder. I would seem they got their knives from a later run.

I do not know what it is but the clip is not as glaring off in person. The finish on the clip matches the finish on the blade and hardware so the look is not jarring.

I don't know if there was a CQI change to the clip (seems less likely) or in the original reveal image the clip was wrong/pre-production/or someone got too frisky with photoshop levels when doing the post production on the shoot.

For the record, I did not find the OE clip as atrocious as I expected. I felt it was quite livable. Livable, but not great.

Please post pics of clip. Thanks!

Here it is. The shape and finish look pretty the same as anyone elses but in person the finish seems to match the blade very well. Seemed disconnected in the media I'd seen which is why I was wondering if someone got too happy with the levels in photoshop.

RCM257I.jpg

New to me Swayback in the house. Arrived today. It needed a fresh edge, and it is immediately apparent this was already well below 20dps. I freehand sharpen, but this seems much narrower than most knives. So after progressing up through 1200 grit diamond and then a green and black strop, this is the easiest hair-whittling I've done in a while...

A0f4X97l.jpg

When I bought the knife I quickly ordered a couple MXG clips (one deep, one regular). This looks better, in my opinion, and certainly feels better in hand.

uVLmlFel.jpg

This is really a very nice knife! I like it quite a bit. My knife has a bit of lock stick. Completely livable. It took a little fumbling to get the thumb hole. I initially thought I'd want to mod the scale for better access, but after getting a feel for it, it's just fine.

Last edited:
Could someone else take a close up detail photo like this, looking directly into the lockbar:

tv11CWJl.jpg

Mine, slow roll opening catches and the lock does not engage.
48RPf6Bl.jpg

When it is flicked it locks up perfectly. It's only when I slow roll open it, it sticks.

So looking into the side, I can see only the top corner is in contact and doesn't match the geometry of the lock face on the tang.

TRfromMT TRfromMT

does this help?

I get the same lockup regardless of how I open the knife.

I did notice from close inspection of the tang that lockup occurs mostly with the uper portion of the insert.

I know you’re really handy with stuff, but given there’s a difference on lockup Between slow roll and flicking, might there be some debris or something within the stop pin cutouts inside the scales?

Hope that helps.

TRfromMT TRfromMT

does this help?

I get the same lockup regardless of how I open the knife.

I did notice from close inspection of the tang that lockup occurs mostly with the uper portion of the insert.

I know you’re really handy with stuff, but given there’s a difference on lockup Between slow roll and flicking, might there be some debris or something within the stop pin cutouts inside the scales?

Hope that helps.

Thanks BD_01 BD_01 - it looks like a similar contact and the "birdsmouth" gap is comparable. Since I live about 10 miles from Spyderco HQ, I am inclined to run it over to them before I attempt any fixes myself.

I did take it apart and clean it and it did not improve the situation. There wasn't anything in the stop pin tracks, but that was a good suggestion.

I wandered down to the mother ship on my lunch hour (I'm lucky, I know) and they had the knife sorted out before I could make it through browsing 2 of the display cases.

They did ask, and strongly caution me against taking apart the knife. I had done so and was honest about it. The rep just smiled and said, "You really ought to let us do that." I had not messed with anything, just a little Windex and a paper towel, so they were happy to tune it and send me on my way.

Good folks there, and always helpful.

Back