Sweat on VG-10

Hello,

I was trying to wipe finger print off my delica, and found out there are marks around the holes just can't be wiped off. light soap wash still can't get off.
I start to think can it be caused by hand sweat during summer time got on it and I didn't notice and didn't do anything to clean off at the time and might have cause the VG-10 Steel react with sweat?

After all, sweat is like salt water....

It is hard to come through from photograph to show you guys though.

Other than H-1, I am not aware of any steels that are truly stainless. So even steels dubbed stainless can still rust and stain, they should be called stain resistant. Some peoples sweat will cause rusting, other it won't. It comes down to the body chemistry of the individual. But to answer the question, sweat could be the culpret.

Try some WD40. I tried that on my Balance and it wiped the rust spots off with some pressure. +1 on the H1

An extra fine scotch brite pad might work as well.

I have not noticed any of this on my ATR that has ridden in my pocket for 7 years an as a fireman is see a bit of sweat maybe its the black coating.

I agree with Fanglekai. Flitz is the product that you need.

In my experience VG-10 is pretty corrosion reistant, but as you have seen, it can rust. I carried a Matriarch on all of my bike (bicycle) rides for about a month before it showed signs of rust. It got pretty sweaty during that time. I got tired of chasing rust spots and using Tuf-Glide all of the time (due to my own laziness) and ended up switching to a Spyderhawk in H-1.

The VG-10 should hold up pretty well. I wear my Endura to the gym, and it gets pretty damp and sweaty, but no rust. I've worn my Endura in a salt water pool for a few hours and it just got a couple spots of rust that came right off with some CLP and a paper towel.

This is my VG-10 Dragonfly running rig. I carry this around my neck when I do my nightly 5 mile runs. I sweat like a ***** in church and all I do is a quick wrinse with tap water when I get home and no rust issues THUS FAR.
joggingrig.jpg

JP

+1 on the rinsing. Your particular body chemistry will react differently with different steels. A quick rinse and dry will work wonders.

Back