Swiss Army Knife Help!

Monofletch

Basic Member
D685EF80-6754-4C24-8F0E-C251B956A7D8.jpeg I’m sorry if this is the wrong forum.
I found the SAK my Dad gave me when I shipped off to basic training. It was carried every day I while I was in the Army. It is a great knife and still in good shape except it needs a red scale. Is there someone on the forum or a forum supporter that can get me a new scale? Please help!!

Here it is!

I believe Victorinox will do that for free if they still make that model or one that has the same scale.

Wenger scales are less common. Depending on the size you may find replacements.

Well that rules out, it being a Colonial. Which is a good thing in my opinion. Wenger scales will probably be difficult to source. Colonial scales would be impossible, or close to it.

If you can't find new scales, you can fill that with epoxy. I have used JB Weld. It works, but is an ugly grey color. You could use the 5 minute epoxy that comes in the syringe type dispenser, or any other epoxy you might have. Mix it as it instructions say, then thicken it to a paste. Fiberglass and epoxy specialty stores sell fumed silica for this, but white flour, or fine sanding wood dust will work fine too. Get some red dye. Again Specialty fiberglass and epoxy stores, will likely have a dye they sell, but I'm betting red food color will work fine. So Mix up your epoxy. Thicken it till it will hold it's shape without slumping, or at least very little slumping. Add some red dye or stain, till you match the red in the scale's color. Useing a putty knife or popsicle stick, fill the void and shape the missing end to the scale. After the epoxy cures, clean it up with sandpaper. Working from course to fine, till you get whatever finish you want.

O.B.

If I was you I would get it customized with some harder scale material since you have history with it. :) Just my opinion though.

Has anyone contacted Victorinox to find out if they are honoring the lifetime warranty on Wengers now that they own both brands? I would be interested in knowing if they do, or to what extent.

Monofletch Monofletch - Sorry it is damaged, but great to see your post and the history this knife has with you. I have a camo Tinker in my collection that I carried while in the Marines. I bought an aftermarket sheath for my Kabar and it had a pouch for a sharpener, but I kept my Tinker in it. I used that SAK more than I used my Kabar by far!

Ok, I sent a message to Victorinox to find out about Wenger repairs. Here is how it reads:

"To whom it may concern,

Since Victorinox now owns Wenger as well, I was curious as the whether your lifetime warranty might also pertain to older Wenger knives as well? For example, if my Wenger required repair, would you be able to make said repairs? If the scales on my Wenger were cracked, would you be able to replace them?

Thank you for your time and any assistance you can provide."

I will let you know when I get a response.

Monofletch Monofletch - Below is the response I received. It looks like they are taking care of Wenger repairs as well.

Good morning Dale,

Thank you for your request. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your knife. You can send your Wenger knife to our Corporate Office in Monroe, Connecticut. I have provided our address below:

Victorinox Swiss Army Inc.
ATTN: Repairs
7 Victoria Drive
Monroe, CT 06468

Please include the following when sending your knife in for repair:

1. Your return address and contact information
2. A brief note detailing the problems you are experiencing with your knife, the services you would like to have completed, or both.

*If your knife is determined to be covered under our lifetime warranty against manufacturer’s defects in materials and workmanship, the only charge associated with your repair would be $5.00 for return processing and handling. This fee is assessed per knife that is sent in for service.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

*Please note that we are currently operating on a 3 week turnaround time from the date a knife has been assigned to a technician for service.*

Sincerely,
Chris

Customer Support
Victorinox Swiss Army

Please note our offices will close at 12:30pm on the following Fridays in 2019: June 21, July 12, August 9 and August 23. We will also be closed for the days of July 4th and 5th in observance of the U.S. Independence Day. Thank you in advance.

I've tried this before but had trouble with slumping. How do you thicken the epoxy?

In the past I have used fumed silica, white flour, and wood flour (wood sanding dust). Mix your epoxy according to it's instructions, then start adding thickener. Keep adding/mixing in till you are happy with the thickness. It takes quite a bit of thickener sometimes.

Edit to add. Also a lot of times you can make a little dam with tape, to help keep the epoxy in place.
O.B.

Last edited:
Y YellowSwiss Thank you!!
It will be shipped this afternoon!!

You might want to ask them to NOT sharpen the blades. Might be better now, but years back I sent in a Classic for a repair. Someone there took it upon himself to sharpen the blade. I think he must have used a file or maybe a rock! :eek:

In the past I have used fumed silica, white flour, and wood flour (wood sanding dust). Mix your epoxy according to it's instructions, then start adding thickener. Keep adding/mixing in till you are happy with the thickness. It takes quite a bit of thickener sometimes.

Edit to add. Also a lot of times you can make a little dam with tape, to help keep the epoxy in place.
O.B.

Thank you!

Well that rules out, it being a Colonial. Which is a good thing in my opinion. Wenger scales will probably be difficult to source. Colonial scales would be impossible, or close to it.

If you can't find new scales, you can fill that with epoxy. I have used JB Weld. It works, but is an ugly grey color. You could use the 5 minute epoxy that comes in the syringe type dispenser, or any other epoxy you might have. Mix it as it instructions say, then thicken it to a paste. Fiberglass and epoxy specialty stores sell fumed silica for this, but white flour, or fine sanding wood dust will work fine too. Get some red dye. Again Specialty fiberglass and epoxy stores, will likely have a dye they sell, but I'm betting red food color will work fine. So Mix up your epoxy. Thicken it till it will hold it's shape without slumping, or at least very little slumping. Add some red dye or stain, till you match the red in the scale's color. Useing a putty knife or popsicle stick, fill the void and shape the missing end to the scale. After the epoxy cures, clean it up with sandpaper. Working from course to fine, till you get whatever finish you want.

O.B.
I think he meant the model is the Wenger colonel, not that it's a colonial knife.

Back