Recommendation? Swiss Army Knife: Which One?

Classic don't mean the best. For that you get an alox cadet, farmer or pioneer and call it a day.

But the OP isn't really looking for the best...he is looking for "THE quintessential and most classic SAK available still".

I think we are missing his point.

He is not looking for a set of tools to use, he is looking for a "ideal SAK specimen" for his collection.

The "Platonic ideal SAK," as it were.

But guys, if you had to pick one, what is THE quintessential and most classic SAK available still? Not looking for a used. I want a classic example more as a collectibility thing but may carry it, maybe. Possibly.

But the OP isn't really looking for the best...he is looking for "THE quintessential and most classic SAK available still".

He is not looking for a set of tools to use, he is looking for a "ideal SAK specimen" for his collection.

Sadly I'd have to go with the pocket friendly SAK SD or the one with the fork and spoon although I haven't seen one of those latter SAKs in ages.

Actually, although my post #8 was tongue-in-cheek, the SAKWiki site would give the OP a lot of info on what SAKs came out when, sales figures, features, etc. I suggest giving it a good look. :thumbsup: :cool:

4491.jpg

This was the first one; designed as a rifleman's tool. Is that classic enough? Victorinox made some repros.

Zieg

This. As I read it, I don't think that the op is necessarily asking for suggestions on the most popular or practical edc SAK, I took it as being what most non SAK enthusiast people picture when they think of one. My suggestion for that would be the Ranger.

SAK_1_3763__S1.jpg
Pic from Victorinox's site.

ETA- As a side note, my Vic Ranger and I are in a very much non-platonic relationship, so it also works well if you decide you want to be more than just casual acquaintances. ;)

Last edited:
The most classic and versatile in 91 mm: the Huntsman, then the "swisschamp" big but it has all the tools (photos Victorinox)

SAK_1_3713__S1.jpg
SAK_1_6795__S2.jpg

I like the tinker series. I have two supers.

If carrying only a SAK then a Farmer is my choice.

But the majority of the time its a Cadet in combo with a one handed opener .

This.

On paper the true classic has to be the Soldier model. They are called “Swiss Army knife” for a reason. However the Pioneer is the same thing in street clothes.

Add a saw and you have the Farmer. Shrink the Pioneer and you have the Cadet.

Any of these are hard to beat but, if you must try, the Spartan and Recruit are good places to start.

Not sure what model I have, but it has a built-in flashlight. My parents bought it in Switzerland several years ago. Trying to find AAAA batteries has been a challenge. I did open up a 9v and it had six in it. Problem is they tend to leak after a few months.

DSCN0902.JPG

I'd go with a Huntsman. Plenty of tools, one of the most iconic, and always available in classic red (see photo above from Chacap). It's not too big to fit in the pocket if you do decide to carry it.

If you'd like something a bit slimmer the Spartan is a decent choice.

I have carried a Hiker every day for three years. I love it. I find myself using the screwdrivers more than the blades, I must admit.

I think the Swiss champ is the most iconic or one might say the quintessential Swiss Army knife. Just one opinion, but I think this is the model that is most etched into peoples’s minds.

Camper is a great model. Like a Farmer but with an extra small blade and cheaper. The corkscrew is great for undoing knots in the field. Spartan/Tinker is a great starter model. The Compact is a great urban carry all rounder.

You're going to need to play with some models. I won't carry anything over a 3 layer and prefer a single layer. I like 91/93mm for the blade size. If you head over to SAKWIKI you can see lists of all the tools at specific sizes and number of layers. Makes working out what you want a whole lot easier when you filter based on those two criteria.

I would recommend a Spartan. I keep one in my left pocket every day and it sees more work than my EDC knives - in fact, it's also easier on the eyes of people who are not knife-friendly like in office settings.

Guys I’m wanting to get a Swiss Army Knife but I went to the website and became sick at the sheer number and variety and colors of SAKs available there.

Clearly, I need some help choosing the right one!! I’d like one in the color “red” as when I was a boy, that’s what they had. Red ones. Plus it’s my favorite color.
:confused:
Sorry, I skimmed thru the thread, so if I’m parroting another member’s question, I apologize.

Do you happen to remember the models you had or saw when you were younger?...or possibly the tools they were equipped with?

Back