Swisstool being phased out?

Hey just wondering if it is being phased out -I have noticed some very good prices on it on ebay both the X and RS versions, and my local outdoor/camping store no longer carries them.
Usually that is a sign that a something new is coming out (besides the Spirit I mean).

Isn't Spirit the reason? Why would anyone buy a Swiss Tool now that Spirit is available?

Edit: serious question, by the way. I have the Swiss Tool and I'm looking for reasons not to upgrade.

(To paraphrase Amy off Futurama: "Spirit! The multitool my parents wouldn't let me have because they said I had too many multitools already.")

I like the spear point blade on my Swiss Tool X, the blade on the Spirit is well... Odd. I'm fine with blunt points but half serrated too? Besides, the spear point blade is somewhat of a characteristic of V'nox knives.
And.. also because I'm too lazy to carry another knife just for the blade. :D

That is the one major drawback to the spirit -I don't mind a sheepsfoot as an add on - but not as the main blade. They are too damn hard to sharpen.

PWork said:
What's so hard to sharpen about a sheepsfoot blade? :confused:

Paul

How do you sharpen them? The only way I have found is with a conical or rod like sharpening device like a ceramic rod. It is a royal pain in the you know what.

Is there an easier way?

A straight blade you just run along your diamond/ceramic/ waterstone etc.

Brangdon said:
Isn't Spirit the reason? Why would anyone buy a Swiss Tool now that Spirit is available?

Edit: serious question, by the way. I have the Swiss Tool and I'm looking for reasons not to upgrade.

(To paraphrase Amy off Futurama: "Spirit! The multitool my parents wouldn't let me have because they said I had too many multitools already.")

the main point is that swisstool is bigger and stronger i think.....this is the one for big tool user...

btw,i really think the handle of spirit is too thin......it seems that u can not abuse it with heary use...... :barf:

IMHO,i think both swisstools had their diffience market,and which to buy is depends on yr own need.....

Ramirez said:
How do you sharpen them? The only way I have found is with a conical or rod like sharpening device like a ceramic rod. It is a royal pain in the you know what.

Is there an easier way?

A straight blade you just run along your diamond/ceramic/ waterstone etc.

Do you mean a sheepsfoot blade, or a serrated blade?

Paul

Sorry Paul, a I meant a serrated sheepsfoot - that is what is on the Spirit - correct?

You are right though you can have a non-serrated sheepsfoot, that would be good on a tool.

PWork said:
You can always remove the serrations.

Paul

You mean grind them down? Not sure I am skillful enough to do that without burning the temper of the blade. plus, I feel like I should be able to get what I want in a multi-tool without customizing it.

I was thinking of getting the Spirit, but due to the blade, I decided on a Wave instead.

Ramirez said:
You mean grind them down? Not sure I am skillful enough to do that without burning the temper of the blade. plus, I feel like I should be able to get what I want in a multi-tool without customizing it.

I was thinking of getting the Spirit, but due to the blade, I decided on a Wave instead.

Work at them with a coarse diamond hone. It takes a little time, but will be well worth it.

Paul

Back