"Switchblade" Help

Autos are illegal for many of us to carry, and have been for many years. However, spring assisted knives were dubbed 50 state legal. Both autos and assisted knives have a mechanism inside the knife to propel the blade to its open position (the difference, of course, being how you activate it). Spring assisted knives have been available to every citizen, nationwide, and yet the cities have not been burned to the ground and the world has yet to come to a screeching hault.

Why can't we have our auto knives back?

Good lord, don't get me started. Oops, too late.

The banning of switchblades was a moronic, knee-jerk piece of legislation from 1950s (the federal law only regulates inter-state sale, but most states made copycat phrased laws banning carry and sometimes even ownership). It was based on emotion and spurious evidence, not any kind of rational consideration. Simply put, fixed blade is always faster than an auto hands down. It's already open! Switchblades were invented for people on boats so they could cut lines while clinging to the rigging with one hand, not killing people.

But the problem is once you put a law in place, it can be hard to get it removed, especially federal laws.

It seems to be that assisted opening knives were designed specifically with the idea of exploiting loopholes in the legal phrasing of switchblade law. Why was the law not amended to cover them too? My hypothesis is legislators deep down kind of know the switchblade bans are stupid, and therefore have decided not to bother changing the law to be more restrictive. Especially since guns are a bigger hot-button issue in the modern day since the 1980s.

However, I will continue to campaign by whatever means available for the repeal of U.S.C. Title 15, Chapter 29 in it's entirety, along with all its state-specific bastard children.

I got away from myself a bit there. Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

Last edited:

I hope you didn't either.
I think you stated the issue concisely and logically and I agree totally.

I'm having to exercise control to not "get started" myself. ;)

as mentioned, removing legislation is not easy. it is costly and time consuming. a senator or representative would have to sponsor the change, then get it approved for a ballot measure.

im guessing most people just dont care about autos.

as mentioned, removing legislation is not easy. it is costly and time consuming. a senator or representative would have to sponsor the change, then get it approved for a ballot measure.

im guessing most people just dont care about autos.
I can only imagine what the fallout would be if a politician in ultra-liberal California, Massachusetts or New York decided to sponsor legislation to legalize switchblades! :D

Switchblades are already legal in California, but the blade has to be under 2 inches.

Good lord, don't get me started. Oops, too late.

The banning of switchblades was a moronic, knee-jerk piece of legislation from 1950s (the federal law only regulates inter-state sale, but most states made copycat phrased laws banning carry and sometimes even ownership). It was based on emotion and spurious evidence, not any kind of rational consideration. Simply put, fixed blade is always faster than an auto hands down. It's already open! Switchblades were invented for people on boats so they could cut lines while clinging to the rigging with one hand, not killing people.

But the problem is once you put a law in place, it can be hard to get it removed, especially federal laws.

It seems to be that assisted opening knives were designed specifically with the idea of exploiting loopholes in the legal phrasing of switchblade law. Why was the law not amended to cover them too? My hypothesis is legislators deep down kind of know the switchblade bans are stupid, and therefore have decided not to bother changing the law to be more restrictive. Especially since guns are a bigger hot-button issue in the modern day since the 1980s.

However, I will continue to campaign by whatever means available for the repeal of U.S.C. Title 15, Chapter 29 in it's entirety, along with all its state-specific bastard children.

Very insightful. Thank you!

Back