Sword Cane

I got this a few years ago, and always thought it was made in Toledo Ohio. My dad got it from his 85 year old neighbor who said it was his dad's, or grandad's.

It's missing the end cap thing. Are these kinda rare?

i-dwTbjJv-XL.jpg

i-HMBVGvq-L.jpg

i-hW29Q3K-XL.jpg

I think the Toledo referenced is a nod to Toledo, Spain. It was a renowned blade making center in ancient times, right up through the medieval period. Not that I think this blade has anything to do with Toledo, Spain. Instead I think that this is an early 20th century piece similar to this one:

Did they actually sell it for that much? Maybe, although I would hate to try to find a buyer at that price. In general sword people don't want them because they aren't terribly sexy swords and cane people don't want them because of potential legal hassles.

Toledo Spain
Hang onto that until you get a solid appraisal because full length ones are rarer than the short kind.

I got this a few years ago, and always thought it was made in Toledo Ohio. My dad got it from his 85 year old neighbor who said it was his dad's, or grandad's.

It's missing the end cap thing. Are these kinda rare?

i-dwTbjJv-XL.jpg

i-HMBVGvq-L.jpg

i-hW29Q3K-XL.jpg

It’s my understanding that having a Cane Sword is flat out illegal in public in the USA. Since these are a family heirloom and keeping them in your home you shouldn’t have any issues. Just wanted to make sure you had an idea of possible issues. Take care! Laurence

It’s my understanding that having a Cane Sword is flat out illegal in public in the USA. Since these are a family heirloom and keeping them in your home you shouldn’t have any issues. Just wanted to make sure you had an idea of possible issues. Take care! Laurence
I haven't really looked into it but are you sure that isn't just in the usual suspect places like California? (sorry seems like I remember that you live there)

I haven't really looked into it but are you sure that isn't just in the usual suspect places like California? (sorry seems like I remember that you live there)
It’s been a few years since I checked laws but I remember it being a federal statute regarding sword canes. Yes I live in the State you love ❤️ to hate! Along with our once upon a time Olympic Gold medal track Star that surgical switched teams! So to speak… He, She. They? Live up the highway about 15-20 miles …

It’s been a few years since I checked laws but I remember it being a federal statute regarding sword canes. Yes I live in the State you love ❤️ to hate! Along with our once upon a time Olympic Gold medal track Star that surgical switched teams! So to speak… He, She. They? Live up the highway about 15-20 miles …
I like your state, we had a great time in the redwoods last summer, your politicians just have much of the rest of the country scratching our heads.

I like your state, we had a great time in the redwoods last summer, your politicians just have much of the rest of the country scratching our heads.
Yes, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and our California Coast are Beautiful! Along with mountains & deserts, unfortunately there are plenty of reasons for any sane person to scratch their heads across our entire country these days!

Yes, Kings Canyon, Yosemite and our California Coast are Beautiful! Along with mountains & deserts, unfortunately there are plenty of reasons for any sane person to scratch their heads across our entire country these days!
Amen to that.

Back