1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sword Canes.

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by DrRollinstein, Oct 16, 2018.

1. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    What are some good sword canes on the market? I know a decent bit about swords, and my first sword actually was a sword cane made by kit rae, mostly decorative but still a neat piece. But its starting to fall apart so i think its time to buy a new one. Doubt ill really ever use it, but id like it to be durable and usable. Otherwise i'd just buy another kit rae.

I know cold steel makes a few, but they've always been hit or miss in the sword market. Max budget is probably 200-300 bucks.

2. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    The only thing "hit or miss" about Cold Steel's swords is the fact that they're way overbuilt/heavy and a bit overpriced... durability has never been a question in my mind. If I wanted a sword cane that wasn't a cheap gimmick ready to fall apart if swung too hard, Cold Steel is the only option I can think of anywhere close to your price range.

~Chip

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  3. Armadew

Armadew Reisloafer Platinum Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I've heard good things about Burger Sword Canes, but they are a bit out of your budget.

JJHollowman likes this.
  4. DrRollinstein

Feb 20, 2018
    They do have one around 140 bucks that i like, so you're right, may have to go with it.

Those are extremely nice, but yeah, i cant justify that much on one at this time.

5. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    How about the Windlass sword canes?

6. DrRollinstein

Feb 20, 2018
    Completely forgot they made them. Will give those a glance too.

BlackKnight86 likes this.
  7. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I've been looking at these lately looking for design inspirations to make one. I noticed that windlas has an umbrella version which might be a nice option. I'm still a little young to carry a cane inconspicuously.

8. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    The Crawford’s make a Combo Survival Staff that has a sword, spear, walking stick, cane, blowgun, backscratcher, harpoon, etc. The instruction manual is as thick as a phone book.

9. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
  10. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I think the trick to sword canes is either to go so over the top ornate of premium materials that no one would suspect a sword being hidden in the shaft like the gorgeous Burger ones.

Or make it look like such a dull orthopedic aid no one bats an eye like the CS Heavy Duty cane.

The goofy screw top brass ones scream sword to me.

JJHollowman likes this.
  11. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    The Windlass cane swords are really toy like but the blades are stiff for their dimension. The lion face example I was traded into for has a very frangible bamboo shaft. I have read one ad copy for a more recent model from them listing fiberglass and that might be a step up. However, they are not to be confused as load bearing for orthopedic uses/needs. The Cold Steel last posted is actually tall enough that I have been tempted, as I am on a cane for support but one runs into the legal realities.

I would expect that no one should be trying to carry or use one in public without the legalities taken into consideration. In other words, regardless of quality, for most of us they would be collectible novelties.

Cheers
    GC

12. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    Those Burgers do look gorgeous and I don't doubt the functionaility but they claim the steel is "303 stainless", at least for some parts and don't specify blade steel at all, so I'd assume it's the same. I'd be leery of spending $400+ on a bladed weapon using stainless I can't verify as the blade portion. Now if I was buying it as a presentation-type gift then certainly. Something to purchase embellished and engraved, that I know would be displayed rather than used, those Burgers are just the thing.

13. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    accidental double post plz remove

14. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    You can be sure that the blade isn't 303. They even have a stainless damascus option.

JJHollowman likes this.
  15. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    You have to decide on whether you want a cut & thrust blade or smallsword blade. Personally, I would chose the smallsword blade for speed and ability to grab the blade and thrust or defend two-handed.

Zieg

JJHollowman likes this.