1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sword forging...

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Haze19, May 16, 2019 at 1:17 AM.

Tags:
  1. Haze19

Haze19

Wednesday
    Hey, I'm looking for some smart ideas to forge a sword.
    We have a sword here bought by my dad long ago and it is affected with corrosion now. In the beginning, I thought to fix it but now decided to forge a new one.
    I don't have any prev experience in forging anything. Here is a company of forging manufacturers near me, I'm not sure whether they are into retail business or not, yet I'm going to request a quote from them.
    I've 2 questions to ask the sword experts on this board,
    (i) How long it takes to forge a sword?
    (ii) Which metal is the best for a sword?
    In between, I'm new to this forum and hope to get good responses for my first post.
    Many thanks!

2. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

(i) If you want to forge the sword yourself, I'd suggest going to a "hammer-in" or gathering of blacksmiths / bladesmiths in your area. That would be the best way to get acquainted with the sort of tools and processes that are used to forge something like a sword blade.

If you want someone else to forge the blade for you, then it would be best to hire a custom bladesmith to fashion the sword for you.

When it comes to making a sword blade, forging is only 1/3 of the process, the others being heat treatment, and grinding. All of the steps are important and take experience and skill to do it right. Then after that comes hilting the sword, which is also important.

(ii) I like titanium best for a sword blade, but I'm a weirdo.

There are a lot of good steels that can be used, but some of them take special heat treatment. You can send out the blade for heat treatment by professionals.

JJHollowman and LEGION 12 like this.