Sword from Civil War ?

Hi this sword was given to me by my father. He bought it in Virginia 40 something years ago. I have admired it my whole life. So he just gave it to me as a birthday gift. I wanted to share it and try to find out as much info as possible. I also want to know what if anything to do to it. The leather is pretty dry and I didnt know if I should put mineral oil or anything on the blade. Thanks and please ask if you need other pics or info.

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

There are a few repairs my dad said it was purchased that way.
IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

This reads E Pluribis Unum
IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

I wish I could tell you something more than, that is a really cool piece and I am sure it is worth a lot to you considering the family history.

Thanks for sharing, I wish I could tell you something intelligent...

Don't put any oil on it, don't try to clean it or anything like that. That would reduce its value and someone's ability to appraise it properly. I'd find someone to appraise it.

Actually you are supposed to oil it. Just don't try to clean it or polish it. Just wipe it down with an oily rag and nothing more.

It is a real sword (not wall hanger) but I don't know from what era. The fact that it has been damaged and been repaired will take most of the collector's value, though.

It looks like the US Model 1850 Foot Officer's Sword.

Thanks that was what I was thinking. From what I can tell most of those had iron scabbards. This one is leather. Where would I look for a makers mark and how do I tell if it was made in the US or not. I did notice a mark on the spine that says IRON PROOF.

Back