Sword Picture Thread: This you can trust

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by The Government, Jul 20, 2015.

1. roninart

roninart

Jun 7, 2012
    This is one of mine, it's a 1660 Wakizashi made by Monju Shigesada in a shirasaya with NTHK certificate.
    Sadly I decided to let it her go so chances are she won't be mine much longer (putting together a high end Remington 700 and I need $$ for a good scope).
    I also have a Bugei Dragonfly Katana and a really nice Bastard sword from Valiant Armoury.

[​IMG]

2. swordmaster0813

swordmaster0813

Aug 15, 2010
    As durable and rugged as it gets

Attached Files:

3. vorpalblade

vorpalblade

Jan 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. vorpalblade

vorpalblade

Jan 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Tommytoos likes this.
  5. vorpalblade

vorpalblade

Jan 13, 2014
    Horseclover - Great historical collection.

Swordmaster0813 - Now I have to investigate Zombie Swords. Glad to hear they're rugged.

Long Knife - If you want a survival sword, somewhat machete-like but stiff enough for thrusting, you might want to look into the Roman Gladius.

6. Noxious Fumes

Noxious Fumes

Sep 7, 2011
    I second this choice. Great work horses all.... My vote goes to the AK47 from Busse....

7. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Always astounding that such a blade can be over 300 years old in that condition. That's hawt.

8. The Government

The Government

Aug 21, 2009
    Great stuff everyone, and thank you all for sharing. Just awesome.:eek::thumbup::thumbup:

9. kevin -the professor

kevin -the professor

Dec 18, 2008
    [​IMG]

Here is a grosse messer I did a while back. 80CrV2, O1, and 15N20 (hardened in canola). All the fittings are 15N20 and 1084.

[​IMG]

Notice how the layers of the nagle are bent and follow the curves.

thanks for looking.
    kc

Black Oak Bladeworks likes this.
  10. I remember this one Kevin. Was glad I got to hold it once. What a beautiful piece that was/is!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  11. HolyRoller

HolyRoller

Jul 18, 2007
    Second from the left... I think I used to own that very sword. I can't even remember who made it. Hrisoulas?

Kick myself for trading that thing off. Dumbass college-me...

EDIT:
    HAH! Found it.
    [​IMG]

Probably changed hands a few times since I owned it in ~2008.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Tommytoos likes this.
  12. OldBeardy

OldBeardy

Feb 3, 2014
    David, what is that sword with the pale blue handle and the curved blade, with the eagle head pommel?

13. MTURBO

MTURBO Banned BANNED

Nov 5, 2014
    Great pics everyone.

14. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    Pattern welded 1084/15n20 Kachin style short dha w/sterling and stabilized cord wrap
    [​IMG]

15. Ronin_Jedi

Ronin_Jedi

Apr 29, 2015
    Y'all make me sick, really SICK!

With ENVY!!!!!

Sweet guys and gals.

16. kevin -the professor

kevin -the professor

Dec 18, 2008
    This messer made it into Knives 2016! This is the first time one of my pieces was published. That made me very happy.

17. That messer was a gem in every way. Congrats on getting published, it was well earned sir!

18. Kimball1

Kimball1

Oct 1, 2016

19. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Hi Kimball1 welcome aboard,

Such a sword with familial history certainly has value on a few different levels. Pictures showing the condition of the sword and scabbard can help determine how to care for it. I would do nothing to it until true condition can be judged. If the sword has no apparent crusty rust and has always been stored in the scabbard, leave it in the scabbard. Basic dusting is all it needs at this time. If the scabbard is leather, always have the scabbard flat on a table when removing and inserting the sword. Again, do nothing until condition can be evaluated.

The timeline is about right and these non-regulation swords marked to Horstmann do turn up with some frequency. Does the blade have any other foliate or militaristic etching? Some do, some don't. If the scabbard is leather, that is a real bonus and will need to be cared for with some tenderness. I can't stress enough that less is more, as far as conservation goes.

Pictures can be uploaded and shared to discussion boards by using a photo hosting service. I often use tinypic.com but there are several options. Imgur.com another popular option. Photobucket, etc. Alternately, feel free to send them to me in email [email protected] and I will get them up for you. Just put Horstmann Sword in the email subject line.

Here are the blade marks on mine. I just tried Imgur and it is fairly painless.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

GC

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    The Zieg likes this.
  20. kevin (theprofessor)

kevin (theprofessor)

Dec 12, 2009
    untitled (2).jpg
    Here is a Han Jian.

I am SLOW but I do make swords.