Sword Sheaths/Scabbards

leatherman

leathermoderator
For a customer looking for examples, and others looking for inspiration for their projects.

ruckitan.jpg

ak3-1.jpg

wakiband.jpg

wakiband2.jpg

wakimottle2.jpg

wakiband3.jpg

gladiuspin6.jpg

gladiuspin7.jpg

Got a few customs to post up as well. :)

Angus Trim Sword
094.jpg

091-1.jpg

093.jpg

Anyone know the inspiration for this scabbard?
needle6.jpg

needle4.jpg

needle3.jpg

needle2.jpg

needle1.jpg

Awesome. Any ideas for the Butaniku yet? Mine was proxied so i haven't gotten to hold one yet

I've been thinking about that one for quite a while now, its going to be a challenge for sure. It'll have to be something special for sure. :)

The sword is "Needle" given to Arya Stark in "Game Of Thrones"

In one of the books the scabbard is described as being gray leather and emblazoned with the crest of the Stark family, the dire wolf with the raised paw on the hanger.

I never did read the books, one of those things I must do eventually. I hear the mini series was pretty darn good as well.

I was thinking along the same lines, the oval shape would be the hard part, well that and no Habaki to hold the blade in place in the saya. But little things like that haven't slowed me down yet. :p

Lack of good saya making tools has, anyone willing to make or trade tools for sheath work letme know. :)

I could stack and glue leather together to form the basic saya shape with cutout for the talon hole and blade. Then wrap in upholstery hide, then the possibilities are endless for texture and color. A butt joint and cross stitch would finish a very expensive saya very nicely.

For something like that I foresee an easy 3 to 400.00 and a lot of construction time.

Might have to try in in miniature on a Ruki and see if the theory holds.

Last edited:
I was thinking along the same lines, the oval shape would be the hard part, well that and no Habaki to hold the blade in place in the saya. But little things like that haven't slowed me down yet. :p

Lack of good saya making tools has, anyone willing to make or trade tools for sheath work letme know. :)

I could stack and glue leather together to form the basic saya shape with cutout for the talon hole and blade. Then wrap in upholstery hide, then the possibilities are endless for texture and color. A butt joint and cross stitch would finish a very expensive saya very nicely.

For something like that I foresee an easy 3 to 400.00 and a lot of construction time.

Might have to try in in miniature on a Ruki and see if the theory holds.

Yeah, I could never quite get used to those curved, Japanese-style swords in flat leather scabbards :p no offense. But a stacked leather saya sounds like a real project, too.

By the way, that scabbard for the Game of Thrones sword is amazing. I'd like one one day for a Scottish claymore. Always loved those swords, but never got one. That scabbard along is making me reconsider, even if just for collection and display purposes.

Maybe once I move out of NYC and have some room in my home to lift my arms up :p

Thank you! :D That sword was awesome, so light for such a big chunk of steel.

Back