1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sycan and Steens Mountain Trip

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by ironborn, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ironborn

ironborn

Oct 9, 2012
    Loaded up the rig, wife, my father who is visiting from Baltimore, and enough knives to not use any twice and headed east. Plan was to drive from home base in Eugene, Oregon, South East to our property on the Sycan river, tucked away between the Freemont and Winema national forests.

First stop was at Fort Rock: a volcanic ring of stone formerly surrounded by an inland sea and once home to cave peoples for nearly 10,000 years.

[​IMG]

Dad hiking the rim:

[​IMG]

Wife Kelley investigating:

[​IMG]

On the rim:

[​IMG]

Next stop was the Cowboy Dinner Tree restaurant outside of Silverlake. Recreating the chuck wagon meals of the Oregon Outback cattle drivers, they serve up salad, fresh rolls, beans, baked potato, and your choice of a whole roast chicken or a 30 ounce aged steak!

[​IMG]

Stuffed and satisfied, on to the Sycan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aside from a freak 20 minute hail storm, it was so dry out there that every fire was a one match task!

[​IMG]

Sky after the hail:

[​IMG]

Cigars and bourbon around the fire. Really roughing it...:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there, headed SE again on 140 through incredible canyon country, into Nevada, and N to Steens Mountain. Hoped to take the loop up to the summit and camp at Jackman campground. At 9000 feet, it would have been a cold night! The gates were still closed though, so camped at the South campground instead. Here's some views headed up the loop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking for one of the many abandoned pioneer cabins along the base of Steens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evidence of a high speed encounter with a swarm of grasshoppers, and obligatory Becker content:

[​IMG]

Bk20 was a great camp companion--it handily processed fire wood, carved this juniper cudgel, and gave me the confidence to face all the bears and cougar that I never saw.

[​IMG]

As always, I wish I had taken more pictures. I came away with a deeper appreciation of our state's myriad beauty, the wonder with which our ancestors must have looked upon it, and the hardship involved in living amongst it. I'm thankful to get to share it.

2. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    Nice scenery pics ironborn. Thanks for sharing!

3. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Awesome stuff man, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get out even more. Been too long.

4. trailbum

trailbum Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Take me with you.
    What a great trip.

5. gmoneyluv

gmoneyluv Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Gorgeous country. Need to get back out there. Thanks for sharing!

6. Jerry D.

Jerry D. Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I need to get busy on the old YJ. Makes me want to pack the Jeep or my truck up and go! Looks like a great spot. Thanks!

Glad to see the 20 out in the wild. :cool:

7. ironborn

ironborn

Oct 9, 2012
    Thanks guys!

8. cold one

cold one Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Nice pics and scenery, looks like an awesome trip.

9. NCSlice

NCSlice

Feb 22, 2015
    Good stuff man, thanks for sharing!
    This has me reallt looking forward to Bryson City, NC this weekend.
    Camping, not as rough as your trip, from Thurs to Monday.

10. granitestateofmind

granitestateofmind Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Love the sentiment. I feel the same in just about every place I've visited, even in my home state (NH). Beautiful pics. Such a varied and beautiful country we are fortunate to live in.....Thanks so much for taking us along.

11. Diez Knives

Diez Knives

May 19, 2012
    Hey Ironborn, send me an email or text

12. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    looks like great country

13. nutoknives

nutoknives

Mar 27, 2011
    Damn What a Trip Brother
    a youngin and da youngest Becker
    Like me some 20's
    Great Pics and Thanks for sharing

20's do perform very well

[​IMG]

Did I Mention thought I did old age and all

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  14. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    What an awesome trip!

You incorporated all of the finer things, good on ya! The great outdoors, beautiful scenery, family, meat, bourbon, cigars, and of course blades. Epic!

15. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks for sharing your weekend. Very cool pics.

16. ACLakey

ACLakey

Jan 24, 2016
    Welcome to my back yard! Awesome country for sure, next time make a trip through the Chewaucan country on your way through.

17. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Very nice

Let's see more pics of the 4runner!!