Sykco 911 v HOGB8?

Irish_Iron_Spring

Gold Member
Basic Member
Hi all,

Ive got a Sykco 911, a ratmandu and am looking to get a hog. I've been eyeing a HOGB8 but would like to have something that would fill a role i don't already have covered. My uses are for camping, hiking and some bush craft/survival skills.

Anybody have any experience with both of the blades?

Is Infi that much of a step up compared to SR101?

I'm excited to complete my Busse and kin group, but want to put my cash in the right spot to receive some benefit to my kit.

Thanks in advance all,

-Irish

Hey thanks David Brown, that is kind of what I was curious about. I don't want to have to much cross over if I can help it.

You’ve got to have at least one of a Team Gemini or Fusion Battle Mistress. Those are Busse’s two most iconic models for a reason. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, just get something that you think looks like a great knife. Not that it narrows down anything, because I would say all Busses are great knives, but I guess what I mean is, go with whatever you feel calling out to you.

Although I do not own a hogB8, I have owned several 911's. Excellent blade in every way. For the money it is totally worth getting

So you have 6" and 9" covered. Either go up or down. Many folks believe that INFI excels in large, abuse resistant choppers. Think some variant of Mistress or a BB13. If you go small, there are many choices in the 3.5 - 4.0 range. But the Boney Active Duty (BAD) is unique as it was hardened to Rc 60 - 62. Skinny, hard INFI. What's not to like?

Don't listen to them... EVERYONE NEEDS A HOGB8!!!:D

(In all seriousness, the 911 really is a SWEET blade, so you can go Big or small from there. SR-101 is FANTASTIC and the Busse Heat Treat is excellent, so you're not really compromising much at all compared INFI. Find the CAMP TRAMP Vehicle Extrication story if you have any doubts about SR-101's capabilities. It could even be argued SR-101 would make for the better "Bushcrafting" steel.)

1311 is a beast of a knife too but not so thick that you will tire quickly from swinging it. It with length and speed with a deepbiting grind vs weight and a thick grind like some busse's but the 1311 does have a tendancy to stick a little more where the thick blades pop chips better. But, the 1311 is thin enough to still work well as a knife. It's more like a golok than a big beefy survival knife.

The steel heart series could be a good option but the RMD and 911 can do a ton of what someone would want from a knife, if your goals are based around getting knives for use. The ratweiler is currently my favorite busse or kin but the 1311 is gaining traction and I have a nano fusion steel heart on the way that's similar size so it may usurped from it's thrown in the next few months.

There are so many options and you can’t go wrong with any of them.

911 is amazing — I love it and it’s perfect for all the things you mentioned. Since you got the 9 inch covered — you’ve got to go up to 11 inches+. If you’re still looking to hike with it and get “more” chopping performance out of it, you should look at knives with Res-C. If you’re strong, a quasi masochist, and/or willing to train with prolonged use with heavy knives — you can explore everything else.

Here are my thoughts:

1. If weight to performance ratio is your thing, look at the B11, 1311, BBG13, CGB13

2. If weight is a deciding factor, but not a deal breaker, look at NMFSH, MountainMandu, CGFBM, ASHBM, NMFBM (thinner stock), Forsaken Battle Mistress, Ruck, AK 47 BG, AK 47 CG

3. If weight is irrelevant, look at, HOGFSH, Fat NMFSH(.37), FFBM, NMFBM (thicker stock), WTF BG, WTF, Hognose War Sword, Huck, KZ2, TTKZ

Good luck — your wallet is screwed

Back