SYKCO tangs

StoneAndSteel

Gold Member
It seems like every question I have about knives has an answer somewhere on the interwebs (usually ending up here on BF), but I can’t seem to find an answer to this one: what kind of tang is used in SYKCO knives? I’m specifically asking in regards to the AD6/DS6. SYKCO obviously uses hidden tangs, but how far down the handle, how thick, etc?

It seems like every question I have about knives has an answer somewhere on the interwebs (usually ending up here on BF), but I can’t seem to find an answer to this one: what kind of tang is used in SYKCO knives? I’m specifically asking in regards to the AD6/DS6. SYKCO obviously uses hidden tangs, but how far down the handle, how thick, etc?
There is only a thin layer of Resi-C, the thinnest possible actually. The lanyard hole is through the blade. Cobalt Cobalt recently posted a pic of a Basic 11 with the handle off and it's as close to a full tang as you can get without the steel showing through. It is my understanding that SYKCO would be the same.

It's a full hidden tang. All the basic sykco series have the same tang. It has always been the same and never changed. Just past the hollow tube is where it ends in all ResC handled knives

n7cvZkK.jpg

Awesome! I knew someone would have the answer. I watched the Basic 9 destruction test and it LOOKED like it went all the way down, but I was hoping someone had an actual image of the tang. Thanks much gents!

Awesome! I knew someone would have the answer. I watched the Basic 9 destruction test and it LOOKED like it went all the way down, but I was hoping someone had an actual image of the tang. Thanks much gents!
Cobalt Cobalt is a great guy and is an expert on all things Busse. Will York Will York knows pretty much all there is to know about Resi-C knives. He's the Basic King!

There are only a few guys who know everything—and they work in Wauseon.;)

Cobalt has forgotten more than I’ll ever know about Busse’s, but I’ve had a thing for the Res-C knives for over 20 years so I’ve picked up a little knowledge here and there.

One thing I might add about tangs is that the 1311 actually has a barbed tang—not sure if that’s the only model, but pretty sure it was the first. Here’s a pic from AZTimT:
E6984CDE-D9C1-43CF-97CF-774154440EEB.jpeg

There are only a few guys who know everything—and they work in Wauseon.;)

Cobalt has forgotten more than I’ll ever know about Busse’s, but I’ve had a thing for the Res-C knives for over 20 years so I’ve picked up a little knowledge here and there.

One thing I might add about tangs is that the 1311 actually has a barbed tang—not sure if that’s the only model. Here’s a pic from AZTimT:
View attachment 1154028
I'm wondering if that's a picture of MY 1311. I got it from @360joules with a Striptetition finish on it. Hmmm :confused:

Don't sell yourself short. You are a wealth of Resi-C knowledge. :cool::thumbsup:

I'm wondering if that's a picture of MY 1311. I got it from @360joules with a Striptetition finish on it. Hmmm

Thanks for the kind words, Chris.

360joules is another great source of info on Busse’s in general and the Res-C knives in particular.:thumbsup: We do have a rich collective of folks here with a lot of Bussekin knowledge—I’m learning stuff all the time from you guys.

The AD6 is my first SYKCO/Res-C. I LOVE the feel of the Res-C in hand and I love weight reduction of the hidden tang, but wasn’t sure how much strength was given up. I’m stoked to put this thing through its paces but bought it with the understanding that I can’t use it until I graduate from my next school. I have no doubt it’s going to work out beautifully. Thanks a lot for sharing!

The AD6 is my first SYKCO/Res-C. I LOVE the feel of the Res-C in hand and I love weight reduction of the hidden tang, but wasn’t sure how much strength was given up. I’m stoked to put this thing through its paces but bought it with the understanding that I can’t use it until I graduate from my next school. I have no doubt it’s going to work out beautifully. Thanks a lot for sharing!
The cool thing about Bussekin is that no matter what you do to your knife, IF (and that's a big IF) it fails, it is 100% covered under the Triple B (best in the business Busse) warranty! Even when Cliff Stamp turned his Basic 7 into a Basic Badger and finally broke it, it was covered. Amazing stuff! :thumbsup::cool:

no matter what you do to your knife, IF (and that's a big IF) it fails, it is 100% covered
I don't know that I have any concerns of it failing (at least not serious ones), but I haven't had a hidden tang knife since I was very young. My knife purchases as an adult shows that I seem to have adopted my profession's believe that "full tang is the only safe way to go." I don't REALLY believe it, but my collection clearly says I do. I'm thrilled to prove my subconscious wrong once I graduate.

Back