T.H. Rinaldi knives? vs Strider and Chris Reeve

Does anyone have any experience with Mr. Rinaldi's Tempest model?

I want to use this knife for hunting, military use, and general use.

Out of the Strider MT, Chris Reeve Shadow IV or Project 1 and the Rinaldi Tempest, which would be the best all around and for the above usage?

Thanks.

------------------
Riley
Do it right,or not at all.

I believe that all the knives you mention are well constructed, and all of the makers provide excellent customer service. As for Trace Rinaldi's knives I own 3 (an Armageddon, a Chimera and a Talonite TTKK) and have another knife (a chimera/ ttkk hybrid 5.5" in bg42) on order. Trace makes a product of the highest quality, excellent fit and finish with perfect grind lines. He uses top notch materials (and a paul bos heat treat). His sheath work is excellent. His knives present an excellent value when the fine craftsmanship is taken into consideration and he has shown himself to be very committed to customer service.
Take care,
Chad

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"Those who hold the thin blue line keep order, and insure that anarchy and chaos will not prevail." Chad (1992)
"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword. He who dies by the sword did not train hard enough" -Chad (1999)
chad234@email.com

If you need a hollow handle fixed blade knife, you have only one real choice - CRK. The Shadow 4 is a popular model with many people in the military along with the larger Projects.

The Rinaldi knife I have (TTKK in BG-42) has been a real pleasure to use. Excellant quality at a reasonable price. I would get it over a Strider in a heart beat.

Since my pants all have pockets, my choice would be the Rinaldi Tempest over the other two.

Stay Sharp,
Sid

Thanks for the ideas. Anyone else? I'm leaning toward the Rinaldi. Also,what is the TTKK?

Chad,
How do you like the Armegeddon?

------------------
Riley
Do it right,or not at all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Riley:
Thanks for the ideas. Anyone else? I'm leaning toward the Rinaldi. Also,what is the TTKK?

Chad,
How do you like the Armegeddon?
</font>

I like it very much!!! It has great balance, it feels super in the hand. The fit and finish, grinds sheath work are all superlative.
Trace Rinaldi has been super to work with, I wanted some handle modifications done on my next TTKK (a more Chimera like handle)and a little thicker BG42 blade stock (5/32" instead of 1/8")
Trace said no problem.
He is definitley one of the fastest rising bladesmiths, if you want one of his knives I'd place an order before its too late and his back order gets super long.
Take care,
Chad

Well thanks guys... To be considered in the company of Strider, and Reeve's is an honor..

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi

Not real familiar with Rinaldi but I am a fan of CRK. I have both the Shadow IV and the P1 and would not hesitate to recommend either, or both.

Neither is, INO, a "hunting" knife although I have used them on hunting trips and even for field dressing though not a first pick.

The knives sport rugged spear points, perfect balance, durability, good steel, heat treatment and renowned customer service. Their leather sheaths are top shelf, if you like leather sheaths.

I would use the P1 just about all the time when afield but find myself using the Shadow IV more because of sheeple environments, weight considerations (when backpacking) and comfort in and out of vehicles when that's an issue.

Almost forgot to mention, the hollow handle is very useful.

I've been over playing in the sandbox (UAE)for the last 98 days and I carried a Rinaldi Warhawk on my LBE while deployed.

I did run into a problem with the Warhawks sheath. When wearing a fixed blade on military web gear I like to have the flexability of right or left handed carry depending on mission needs and gear carried, the standard sheath is right hand carry only. I also had a couple of finger tips/nails ripped dur to the screw heads not sitting flush with the Kydex on the sheath. I exchanged E-mails with Trace (while in the UAE) and will be shipping the knife along with web gear to him so he can tak a look at re-desiging the sheath. Trace has fixed the screw problem even if I was the only one to ever notice it.

Somehow I chiped the point on the blade. Don't know how as one day I was cleaning it and noticed the very tip was broken off. I did use the knife rather hard but was trying to be carefull of the tip.

Several guys were comparing knives (Kuri/Cold Steel/Ontario/K-Bar) and a couple other no name blades. Somebody came up with the idea to try and slice a full sealed 1/2 litre water bottle with the knives. (Yep stupid I know) They started out trying it on a table and that was hopeless and then the Kuri owner wanted to try throwing them up in the air. Nobody was able to cleanly slice the water bottle in half except the Warhawk!!! It completly cut the bottle, not ripping or tearing the plastic at all. I was so impressed I did it again just to prove it was not a fluke
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

All in all I'm extremly happy with my Warhawk and would order one again. One of these days whan I can afford it I'm planning on getting a Tempest

Back