Tackett Bushcrafter Saturday afternooning

Hi all.
Some of you may have seen the post about the Bushcrafter Matt made me.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1057510-Matt-Tackett-takes-pride-in-his-work

Matt emailed me after i received it to ask how i liked it...specifically if the handle fit my hand better. I told him yes, but that it was still too thin for me. I felt the belly of the handle dug into my fingers under the knuckles. I figured i was going to have to trade or sell it. Well...i am pleased to report that i am a doofus...i was wrong.

It is such a nice knife that i just had to get it outside and give it a chance. and, i am glad i did. i used the knife for about an hour and it was quite comfortable.

The testing almost didn't happen, though. I took my son fishing this afternoon to a place we frequent. We got all the stuff in the car. And, as i was driving to the gas station, I had a terrible feeling i left the knife on the trunk of my car. Uhhh...yup. I sure did. But, somehow it stayed right where i left it. It was about a 3 mile drive to the gas station.
8665718725_d65ced2dea_b.jpg

Indian Brook Reservoir.
8665723543_df3569e0bc_b.jpg

batonned it through a forearm sized piece of downed pine.
8666820750_91af7da2db_b.jpg

this knife is a heck of a slicer. matt put a great grind on it. it zipped through sticks.
8665721529_a83a524728_b.jpg

i like this blade shape. the tip is great for drilling, too.
8666821214_88120b7e16_b.jpg

time to head out. needless to say, i used both trees.
8666822148_0be1f1d233_b.jpg

it helped with snacks, nooo problem.
8665721049_d3027d2f16_b.jpg

couple in-hand shots.
8666824040_2db73f2a55_b.jpg

8665723139_9df93a9533_b.jpg

thanks Matt!
8665722043_579d6d2e49_b.jpg

Todd, great pics and what's better than fishing and knives in the outdoors ??? And good on you for being a great dad and introducing your son to the best "tv screen" . . . Mother Nature . . . :) :)
Some of the best times and pics I have were when my now 29 year old son & I did the same thing . . . . and it seems like only a few week-ends ago too. Daym, the time flies fast, so enjoy every bit of time you can, it will pay dividends in the future, trust me . . . :thumbup:
Oh yeah, the knife, almost forgot (that's what happens when you show pictures of water to a die-hard bass fisherman). Excellent looking blade style, and really like the home made "props" you incorporated in the thread. Great looking knife, great looking area, so it had to be a great time had by all.
Thanks for sharing with us . . . . . now, since you "forgot" this little tidbit . . . . who caught the most fish ??? ??? ??? :D :D
Be safe.

That is one beautiful blade, wow.

That is a beautiful knife. It looked right at home out in the elements!
Very nice pics too!
Balding

Thanks guys. And J1M...no fish today. That is about what i expected today, though. Water temp still real cold. Today was more just about getting outside. Still a good day. ;) Hopefully, i'll be able to add some fish to my pics soon. :D

Very cool pics Todd! Glad you like it bro. I left my pcket knife on my truck bumper one time and it rode about 20 miles with me!

a BF friend was gracious enough to loan me a few knives to try out. thanks HWF!

so, i used this as an excuse to take the new knives down to the river. i packed some of my own, including the Tackett Bushcrafter for comparison purposes. group shot.
8693658409_1912984993_b.jpg

this spot is just less than a mile from my house. so, it's not exactly remote, but it's perfect for an evening walk to make a quick escape and feel like your miles away.

here is the view from the bridge downriver. about half the rock you are seeing was covered up 2-3 weeks ago, during the winter runoff. (EDIT: wow. crappy pic. sorry.)
8694787090_1c2dd333cb_b.jpg

and, this is why. this is the view from the other side of the bridge. this is a fully operational hydro dam that is owned by the local electric company.
8693667137_bd1dd2b426_b.jpg

Heading downriver.
8693656423_8e477a3081_b.jpg

Came across this lean-to.
8694777346_ab06fd1112_b.jpg

i decided to take a piece of driftwood and baton it to get a section to make a spoon. why not?
8693658809_a647a648cb_b.jpg

this wood was hard and not exactly straight-grained. it also had a heck of a knot right in the middle. the Tackett Bushcrafter was a heckuva batoner. (i really whacked the crap out of it)

let's get started.
8693663479_db0d9b4f8c_b.jpg

not quite finished, but i was losing light.
8694785728_a110431478_b.jpg

i shamefully confess that i have this knife posted in the exchange (i can't hide, as it is in my signature). what can i say?...i am trying to buy a fishing kayak! :eek:

but, now i am in a pickle. i can't tell you how impressed i was using this knife. oh wait...i guess i can! it handled the rough stuff quite well (probably the best, honestly). it dug in to take off a lot of wood, but i could also control it very well for fine carving tasks. what a super grind Matt put on this.

just awesome.

Last edited:
Man, what could be better than being outside, with six of your "closest friends" for company, a water way by Mother Nature, and no phones, faxes, I-Pads, tablets, text messages, or emails to keep you from hanging out like the pioneers did ??? ??? ??? :thumbup:
Great looking knives, nice area to hang out in Todd, thanks for letting us go with you for a spell . . . .
Be safe.

I like the handle on that knife. Reminds me of my favorite longbow. Cool pics.

Back