Tackier handle grip?

Greetings fellow blade addicts :) I just got me a User Spyderco Matriarch. I've been wanting a user version of this knife for some time and Santa came early this year.
Now I don't know if you all are familiar with that Spyderco model but if you're not it is like the Civilian except it has a scaled down, smaller blade and it also has a FRN ( fiberglass, reinforced Nylon) handle.
My question is this. FRN isn't bad for gripping but let's face the facts; it isn't as grippy as G-10. That's the reality of it. >> Is there any treatment, coating or type of wrap I could put on this knife handle to make it grippier without compromising or harming the handle?
I had heard a while back about a year or so ago that a chemical known as MEK would make FRN grippier. But I want some experience opinions please.
thank you all in advance

None of you have any tips at all about making an FRN handle more grippy :confused:??? I thought for sure about 6 of you would chime in on that one.

Well I guess I'll go do some exploring on the web but it sure would be nice if you all had some suggestions on this one.

I've never yet stumped you all on the Maintenance Section before :confused:.

Ok it's the weekend and maybe more of you will check this post out :)

Go to the drugstore and buy a roll of that rubberized self-sticking wrap.

Hi, JD. I've always liked FRN knives, but I think a lot of the properties that contribute to its strong points are going to make it hard to do what you want.

Nylon is noted for its chemical resistance, which I think in part explains why it's hard to glue or stick anything to it. Generally the chemicals that will attack or dissolve it are pretty strong, so I'd want a knife completely disassembled if I was going to try that. But even if you could disassemble a Matriarch, which for practical purposes most of us really can't, there'd be concerns over what it's going to do to other areas of the nylon handle, like the pivot hole, lockbar pin hole, screwholes, etc.

Also I'd be worried that the finish would come out inconsistent. Having cut, filed, sanded and drilled FRN, I think the embedded glass is inconsistent in the nylon. The only reason FRN parts look as good as they do is probably because when they're molded, the nylon resin flows to totally contact the mold itself and so you don't see the irregular glass fibers inside. Damage or remove that outer surface of nylon and IMO you're probably going to be left with something pretty ugly no matter what you do.

I've often found Spyderco FRN models a little slippery feeling when just handling them, but I've never had a problem when using them. I've never handled a Matriarch, but being a hawkbill design, it doesn't look like the handle would be a problem for slashing and cutting on a draw.

What about that Plasti-Dip stuff? Maybe if you applied it with a very thin paint brush or toothpick you could develop a pattern in the stippling.

If easy removal is not needed, how about a thin coat of Shoo-Goo?
Greg

If easy removal is not needed, how about a thin coat of Shoo-Goo?
Greg
:eek: You go first.......................:D

It might just be crazy enough to work, but I would not want to try it. :cool:

:eek: You go first.......................:D

It might just be crazy enough to work, but I would not want to try it. :cool:

Wimp!- :p

I don't have problems with my knives, but I used it on the grips for my combat Python .357 and it worked well.

MEK is methyl-ethyl ketone and is a major solvent that could leave the grips sticky if it didn't dissolve and ruin them completely.

How about skateboard tape?

Greg

Wimp!- :p

I don't have problems with my knives, but I used it on the grips for my combat Python .357 and it worked well.

MEK is methyl-ethyl ketone and is a major solvent that could leave the grips sticky if it didn't dissolve and ruin them completely.

How about skateboard tape?

Greg

Brief contact with MEK is not likely to damage FRN.

3M Stair Step tape is a product I use to cover pocket clips and give them a tackier feel when I remove it from my pocket. You can cut to shape and it is pretty sticky on the backside. I've got one clip it has been on for over a year and hasn't offered to peel and I've rotated the knife into carry on a regular basis.

I'm using skateboard grip tape with great results. It can be kinda rough on fabric if it comes in constant contact with an area inside your pocket. However it rates pretty high on the friction factor and seems to stay in place very well. Not certain if there are brands to buy. The one I'm using seems generic.

Back