Tactical chef knife, anyone?

Phillip Patton

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just finished this one for my biggest customer.

Steel is D5, with a 400 grit handrubbed finish. Handle is natural micarta.

Blade length is 8", overall length, 13.5"

This one is supposed to double as a camp knife, which might just mean the edge is too thick to be an efficient kitchen knife, and too thin to be a durable camp knife. :eek: :D

33010-1.jpg

33010-2.jpg

33010-3.jpg

33010-4.jpg

Thanks for looking, and all comments welcome.

Phillip

The knife is beautiful. The blade reminds me of the Rinaldi tactical kitchen knife (TTKK in talonite. No, I'm not suggesting a copy, it just reminds me) and it looks like it might actually be a workable compromise between dkitchen knife and camp chores, at least to the extent it's possible with such a large blade!. I love the way the hand can snug in behind the blade. Looks very secure. You just want to grab it and try it out.

How do you find the D5?

Just thinking about that kind of thing last night while slicing veggies with my 10" chefs knife.

I like it.

Seriously I think that's pretty darn close to what a good camp knife should be. ... Do everything from prepping food to butchering game, clearing saplings and small branches, splitting kindling, etc. I think its awesome.

Mine!! :D Cant wait to get it in hand, will try calling you tomorrow Phillip, traveling right now..
The idea behind this knife came about when I met an old African hand of the bush wars on that continent. He was carrying a LARGE vintage carbon steel chefs knife. That knife had a blade about 12" long, and it was thicker than most chefs knives. He used it for everything, from building shelters to butchering African game animals for bushmeat. I remember him telling me the only thing he would change is the handle, he wanted a wider handle. Hence, the idea of a Tactical Chefs knife.
As usual, Phillip has executed my idea better than I had hoped for. Have been buying from Phillip since August 2006, just cant have enough of his knives! :thumbup:

Mine!! :D Cant wait to get it in hand, will try calling you tomorrow Phillip, traveling right now..
The idea behind this knife came about when I met an old African hand of the bush wars on that continent. He was carrying a LARGE vintage carbon steel chefs knife. That knife had a blade about 12" long, and it was thicker than most chefs knives. He used it for everything, from building shelters to butchering African game animals for bushmeat. I remember him telling me the only thing he would change is the handle, he wanted a wider handle. Hence, the idea of a Tactical Chefs knife.
As usual, Phillip has executed my idea better than I had hoped for. Have been buying from Phillip since August 2006, just cant have enough of his knives! :thumbup:

Glad you like it, not that there was any doubt. ;)
Let me know what time you'll be calling, and I'll try to be near a phone.

That is a great design :thumbup:

Wow Phil. I didn't know you made chefs knives.
I would love to have something like this. Little longer and thinner blade.
How wide is the blade?

Back