Tactical Pens!

So, at work I use pens a lot. Comes with the job. So just for fun I'm considering purchasing a tactical pen for work. Wanted to get some opinions from people who have one on what perhaps I should get?

I'm not looking to blow an obscene amount of money. Just get something that's fun and functional. Obviously the idea of a "tactical pen" is a little silly to me. But it seems like it would just be cool to have. Not particularly practical though.

What do you guys think?

As someone who carries and uses a pen everyday I'm going to go with don't do it unless you really like the pen. Pens get lost and broken too often. I'd say go to office max/office depot or your local office supply store and look at their wall of pens. Seriously, they probably have a wall of pens. Find something you like and treat yourself to that rather than getting a tactical pen. I like the pilot precise grip pens and the clip into my pocket extremely well.

As someone who carries and uses a pen everyday I'm going to go with don't do it unless you really like the pen. Pens get lost and broken too often. I'd say go to office max/office depot or your local office supply store and look at their wall of pens. Seriously, they probably have a wall of pens. Find something you like and treat yourself to that rather than getting a tactical pen. I like the pilot precise grip pens and the clip into my pocket extremely well.

It took me a while to consider one, but honestly, I never lose or have a pen stolen. It always stays in my pocket, and I never let anyone use it anyway. I guess I'm pretty OCD about making sure each item on my person is where it needs to be at all times. I even set my stuff in the same place when i get home in the evening. However, in addition, I go through the ink in the pens fairly quickly. So the cost of having to replace them entirely actually adds up rather quickly anyway.

I've used dozens of pens in my career, I have never lost one either. I tried a Surefire EWP01 and EWP 02, The EWP01 had a triangular barrel that I could not get used to so I sold it, The EWP02 was too short, I like a normal length pen. My current tactical pen is a Hinderer Extreme Duty Blue Aluminum Pen, It uses Fisher Space Pen refills and they last pretty long and are pressurized so they write in just about any conditions at any angle, I'm very happy with it. Not cheap but worth the money. I plan on picking up the titanium version eventually.

DSCN0761.jpg

I just recently started carrying a Benchmade damascus tactical pen. Before that I carried a Boker CID cal .45 pen. I like these pens a lot. The Benchmade is very pricy tho and the Boker refills are tiny. I had hinderer investigator pen, but it was very uncomfortable to write with for any extended time. The ridges were too sharp.

CRKT's tactical pens are pretty cool for the money. The UZI pen also has a certain amount of schlock appeal to it also.

I've used dozens of pens in my career, I have never lost one either. I tried a Surefire EWP01 and EWP 02, The EWP01 had a triangular barrel that I could not get used to so I sold it, The EWP02 was too short, I like a normal length pen. My current tactical pen is a Hinderer Extreme Duty Blue Aluminum Pen, It uses Fisher Space Pen refills and they last pretty long and are pressurized so they write in just about any conditions at any angle, I'm very happy with it. Not cheap but worth the money. I plan on picking up the titanium version eventually.

That is indeed a very nice pen. Their Titanium ones look amazing as well.

I've been checking out the Benchmade ones recently.

I like my Benchmade pen a lot. It's got a good heft, comfortable and writes well. You can get much cheaper versions than the damascus.

I like my Benchmade pen a lot. It's got a good heft, comfortable and writes well. You can get much cheaper versions than the damascus.

I saw the damascus, but I can't find a picture with a real good close-up. Of course I'm a few beers in tonight so I guess I may be a little lazy. One hell of a day at work.

I'm also considering one of their steel ones. I really like the red aluminum too, but I'm wondering how light it would feel.

I checked out a few of them and found the CRKT Tao about the best-bang-for-the-buck.

The best quality one I have come across is Tuffwriter.
At last years Blade, Tuffwriter had the Frontline Series-Executive at a show special price. I've been quite impressed with it.

Both are examples that don't scream TACTICAL or "I may look like a pen, but I'm really a weapon".
Several of the Tuffwriters are available in a "sanitized" version with no markings at all.

Three problems I observed with my limited research are:
1) Many are so long you can't really clip them in a shirt pocket (obviously you could use your pants pocket with no problem).
2) The clip on most are so stiff they are difficult to insert or retrieve from a shirt pocket (again, less a problem if you're using your pants pocket).
3) If you travel by air a lot, these items are becoming more known by TSA personnel, so the chance of it being confiscated is increasing.

The pattern on the Benchmade damascus is very subtle on mine. I don't know If they are all like that. I just bought the Benchmade pen in titanium. Literally, just clicked the buy button 2 minutes ago. I blame this thread.

Personally, I didn't feel like shedding $100+ on a pen, so I got a parker jotter for $10. All steel, and I'm currently using a Fisher cartridge in it. Works pretty well, and the steel makes it a decent kubotan. Best of all, it doesn't look tactical.

For a smaller, light, functional pen, check out the Fisher Space Pen Bullet - you can get them in several colors and fisher refills are pretty cheap.
I really like the Bullets and want to get a Blue one.
As for having to replace them all the time - don't count on it, they don't empty quickly, I also use a pen a lot.

For "Tactical", you can't go wrong with the Hinderer Investigator(smaller) or Extreme Duty(Larger). I like the Investigator because it's just as strong and capable while being a more comfortable size for EDC.

I EDC my Investigator and want to get a ti version. I love Hinderer Pens, but for a cheaper and less "tactical" looking rock solid functional smaller pen, you can't go wrong with the Bullet.

I would go Investigator if I could afford the $60 though. =]

^ Not to mention cops too. Depending on the cop, you might get arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.

Tactical pens are pretty heavy, so if you find yourself writing a lot it's best to just get a regular pen. The Fishers Original Astronaut Space Pen and Stainless Steel Sharpie Pen are pretty sturdy, if you need to use them "tactically". The Lamy Safari Fountain Pen is also good if you want a fountain pen.

The Tuff Writer pens are probably the toughest ones money can buy aside to the titanium Hinderer ones.

There's a video on youtube of a guy who uses his Tuff Writer as an arrow tip and then attaches it to a 12 gauge shell and shoots it out of his shotgun into a tree. Aside from from a few dings and scratches the pen did not bend or break and still worked flawlessly. There is also another video on Tuff Writer's website where they put one in a blender and it still survives.

Tuff Writer makes the toughest pens known to man. (aside from Rick's titanium pen, that thing is a monster!)

However, realistically it is probably better to carry the least "aggressive" looking pen you can get. Like the guy above me said, you can indeed get in big trouble for carrying such a pen. I would recommend the Surefire II pen. It is small and very friendly looking but can pack a mean punch.

I carry a CountyComm Embassy, as it's a nice sturdy pen that doesn't look pointy or scary. It even comes in non-threatening colors like red and blue.

The pattern on the Benchmade damascus is very subtle on mine. I don't know If they are all like that. I just bought the Benchmade pen in titanium. Literally, just clicked the buy button 2 minutes ago. I blame this thread.

You are required to review this pen when you get it! Did you get that gunmetal blue one? That's one of the ones I was checkin' out.

For a smaller, light, functional pen, check out the Fisher Space Pen Bullet - you can get them in several colors and fisher refills are pretty cheap.
I really like the Bullets and want to get a Blue one.
As for having to replace them all the time - don't count on it, they don't empty quickly, I also use a pen a lot.

For "Tactical", you can't go wrong with the Hinderer Investigator(smaller) or Extreme Duty(Larger). I like the Investigator because it's just as strong and capable while being a more comfortable size for EDC.

I EDC my Investigator and want to get a ti version. I love Hinderer Pens, but for a cheaper and less "tactical" looking rock solid functional smaller pen, you can't go wrong with the Bullet.

I would go Investigator if I could afford the $60 though. =]

I'd need a full sized pen, unfortunately I have pretty large hands (top of my middle finger to bottom of my palm is 9 and a half inches). I really like the design of the Hinderer ones, they look pretty comfortable.

If you want something smaller for shirt-pocket carry check out the Foursevens titanium pen. 4.07x0.35in and 0.68oz sans refill.

:EDIT: Nevermind, looks like you answered my post while I was still halfway through typing it.

Back