Taking Care of the Moran

After seeing the reviews of the Spyderco Moran on this forum, I had to buy one myself from LRTC.

I have a few questions on how to take care of this unusual knife.

1st, how do I sharpen the rolled edge with my sharpmaker? Should I sharpen it like anyother knife?

2nd, any suggestions on how to protect the mirror finish? I have never had a knife this polished before.

3rd, and lastly, how well does the VG-10 steel hold up against rusting compared with the ATS-34?

Spyderco, you guys need to advertise more. I almost let this one get away!

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 08 February 1999).]

TWG:

Glad to see another happy Spydie Moran owner!

1. The rolled Moran edge. This issue has been addressed elsewhere but suffice it to say that sharpening it on your Sharpmaker will work just fine. Those who seek to maintain the concave or rolled edge have to really work to do it.

2. The VG-10 really shines doesn't it. I've noted photographs on both Frank Norman's (LRTC) site and Fred Perrin's where the reflection in the blade was the object. Neat stuff. I like any of the good polishes like Flitz, simichrome, or that United Cutlery stuff. Like Sebenza owners though, eventually that puppy will acquire some scratches through use. Consider them badges of honor and loose no sleep.

3. VG-10 seems to possess characteristics that place it a notch or two above ATS-34. I doubt seriously that you'll have any problem with rust unless you set out purposely to screw up the knife as any steel can rust. Good practices for cleaning, sharpening and storing will ensure a long and useful blade life that our children will enjoy. Frank and I both use one in our kitchens. I rinse it off and dry it before returning it to the butcher's block. Looks as good as the day it went into service. Field use reported by Will Fennell of EDI, Frank and others indicates again absolutely no problem with rusting or spotting. My take is that it is far superior to ATS-34 in this regard.

4. The big Spydie ads which show about a dozen of their blades on a page include the Moran. It sticks out as their only fixed blade. I don't know what else they can do. I've certainly tried to spread the word since last July
smile.gif
!!!

Hope this helps until Sal can offer his sage wisdom.

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 08 February 1999).]

Back