Taking off the black Busse coating

Has anyone done this yet? I'm very tempted to remove the black coating on my Basic #7, and give it a satin finish using the 400 to 1200 grit progression method. Cliff's review showed that the modified INFI is pretty darn corrosion resistant, and I keep my blades Tuff-Clothed anyway. It seems to me that the only difficult aspect will be to get right up close to the grip, but I'm probably going to give it a try anyway, as the coating has been scratched up from use. Anybody have a reason against this?
-Paul

Paul, under the black coating is a rough grain structure. I have a #9 without the coating and the ricasso area clearly shows this. Jerry has told me that the rough grain was necessary in order for the black coating to adhere properly and effectively. I don' t have a whole lot of experience in removing and then refinishing coatings but I think you will need to do a bit more than hand work. Probably a belt is called for. Good luck!

L8r,
Nakano

Nakano-thanks for the heads up. That kills it for me-I'll leave the coating on it.
-Paul

Back