Talk me out of a 112 FG

AntDog

Gold Member
I have a nice 110 that I’ve been carrying in my pocket daily. I’m eyeballing the 112 due to the weight. I know it would be less of a chunk.

The main problem I’m having is that I love the looks of the finger grooved model. I’ve never handled a 112 with finger grooves, so I don’t know if the grooves will mate up to my hand well. I’ve held a 110 with the grooves and it felt fine, but I know the 112 is a smaller knife.

I’m 6’2”, 235 lbs, wear a size XL glove. Is the 112 FG a no go?

I think a 110 would be easier for you to manipulate...

112 FG no good for my size? I dig the 110 a lot (always have, forever), but I’m getting a 112 to ride easier loose in the pocket. FG or no is the question. I’ve held one without the grooves and it was ok.

If it helps, I have a 102 and don’t have any problem with the size of the handle. I actually use that one a lot more than I thought I would when I first handled it.

I'm thinking of the length...We're the same size, except I've had a few more donuts than you. The handle will be shorter and that's where you may not like it as well. I use my pinky alot for balance, even on pistols, and if it can't do what it's supposed to I have a little trouble manipulating the tool....

I have small hands and fg on the 112 custom I own dont work for my fingers, other than just giving grip. so I dont mind it as I find it grips fine even though fingers dont go in grooves. I never tried it 2 or 3 fingers but they are pretty small grooves so I doubt it.

I'll take a pic in a bit holding a standard 112 and the fg so ya get a better idear what I'm saying.....15603940412636819003730852890296.jpg 15603940946787571111355437143929.jpg 15603941151888602473759660688708.jpg 15603941624975358211972547750784.jpg
kinda hard to see but my second finger sits on the peak of the finger groove, etc.

Last edited:
Think you are making the right choice and these fellers give good advice. I love the non FG 112-size, weight and grip is fine but a FBG 112 would be uncomfortable with my size L hands. They fit well on the FG 110.

I think I would roll the dice and go finger groove. It's got the cool factor. If it does fit your hand, it will feel more like a precise cutting instrument. You really can't go wrong either way though.

I purchased a FG 112 on a whim after falling in love with a non FG version. Turns out my favorite non-FG 112 is actually irregularly ground... something I'm thinking about doing to some of my other 112's... but that's another story.

The FG 112 took me awhile to warm up to, as I generally look to the hammer grip to judge ergos. However, it is very comfortable with the saber grip, which I use 90% of the time since I usually use a different knife for harder tasks. The FG 112 is lighter than the non-FG version. I actually end up carrying the FG 112 more often than my other 112's. Related to hand size, I'm 6' 205 lbs, but have slender fingers.

That being said, in regards to weight, I tend to carry the 110 LT the most (DP SKBlades), FG 112 is the second most carried, followed by a DP non-FG 110, DP non-FG 112, and finally the 112 LT.

No grooves. The front guard places your fingers just right. I have three 112s: A traditional heavy brass, an Ecolite with small relief contours in the Paperstone grips, and a Bucklite with finger grooves. Of the three, the Bucklite with finger grooves is the least comfortable for my medium/average sized hands. But you may have better luck than I.

Zieg

O you could sell it if needed.... FWIW, I wear size 10 gloves (large) and the 112FG fits perfect. I have a few of each, with & w/o fg. The standard 112 is a good lock blade, but the FG gives me a better grasp.

Get whichever one has the most eye appeal to you. As these pictures show (all Buck Knives but none are a 112FG) you don’t really lock into the grooves when using a hunting knife for game cleaning. The grooves may be more useful for a tighter grip situation (such as combat) but that would be a pretty rare use for a Buck 112. I own 112 in the old flat slab style and in FG style - I can really tell no difference - my hands simply adjust themselves to the knife I am using for the task I am doing. OH

Skinning-doe-with-Buck-113-on-10-16-12.jpg
Buck-121-cleaning-turkey-2017.jpg
Buck-102-12-18-17.jpg

I wear XL gloves; but have relatively thin fingers. While I haven't tried a Buck 112 FG, I've tried - and disliked- other knives with finger grooves. Hand feel is a huge consideration for me; so a peak landing wrong, or grooves that put my fingers in unnatural/uncomfortable positions are both deal killers. As such, I wouldn't be willing to purchase one without trying it in hand first.

The 112 bolster is cut deeper than the 110 bolster. Making the handle feel bigger than it is. I don’t mind the handles on the 112 I have large hands.

I have a nice 110 that I’ve been carrying in my pocket daily. I’m eyeballing the 112 due to the weight. I know it would be less of a chunk.

The main problem I’m having is that I love the looks of the finger grooved model. I’ve never handled a 112 with finger grooves, so I don’t know if the grooves will mate up to my hand well. I’ve held a 110 with the grooves and it felt fine, but I know the 112 is a smaller knife.

I’m 6’2”, 235 lbs, wear a size XL glove. Is the 112 FG a no go?

Have you handled a regular 112? I wear a size large glove and I find the non-grooved version a little tight, to the point that I still prefer the 110 but can get by with the 112. However, my wife likes the 112 so she uses it now and I'm all set.

I think a 110 LT might be a better bet for getting something less chunky but still having some decent purchase, length-wise.

I'm not as tall as you Ant, but I'm a big dude with pretty big hands. I love the FG 112's, but the grooves can vary. I got one from the custom shop and don't carry it because they made the grooves way too small. My regular production 112FG is perfect though. The grooves are shallow enough to be there when you would want them and not obtrusive when you don't. The 110 fits a little better for me, but there's something about the size of the 112 that really gets me. It's really like a smaller tank of a knife. Plus, I like the way they look :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Discussing handles and pocket carry is like discussing boot fit. I can describe what works for me and what doesn't but that might not help you in any way.

112 IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL KNIFE MADE - I've always thought this. The lines are just perfect to look at. I don't carry mine though. The 110 and 500 always carry better and work better for me. More on this follows...

NO FINGER GROVES - I've owned a few finger grooved knives and they feel good for the first minute or so, but I quickly dislike how they restrict different grips. As somebody else suggested, I think their purpose is to sell knives.

RESTRICTIVE GRIP - As beautiful as the 112 is, even without the finger grooves, I find the grip restrictive. The combination of the front bolster and the more aggressive angle to rear bolster combine to make me feel crowded. I'm 6'3" and wear XL gloves to give you an idea of my hand size. I find the shape of the 500 (and 110) infinitely more comfortable. The one thing I like about the 112 over the 500 is the width, which I prefer in hard cutting, but at that point, I'm moving back to the 110 anyway.

TOO FAT/TOO SHORT - I actually find that longer knives carry better in the front pocket than the 112. They tend to stay more upright in most pockets. The 112 and 500 both end up horizontal in the bottom of the pocket and the problem with the 112 is that it is so fat. It lays across my thigh and is pressed by my pants. In contrast, the 500 is so flat that it rides comfortably, even when it is horizontal.

REAR POCKET CARRY FIXES EVERYTHING - I run a 2.5" seam up the right side of my right rear pocket. It holds a large knife like the 110 upright while leaving the top 1/3 of the grip above the new seam. It's super easy to put in and take out. Practically never pocket ejects. Doesn't advertise the knife. Is comfortable while sitting. Frees up my front pocket (for my Micra, among other things). Keeps my belt free of clutter. Most importantly, it makes carrying a 110 a cinch and once carrying a 110 become easy, I see no reason to compromise on my preferred knife size. I do occasionally carry my 500 because I like it so much, but its small size quickly frustrates me so I go back to the 110. I almost never carry my 112s, even in rear pocket due to my problems with the grip.

Bottom line, the 112 makes my eyes happy and my hands sad.

I've handled both the 112 and 110 with FGs. They look cool, but I found they make the handle more slender, which didn't appeal to me.

Dtemel will let you modify non FG to FG where you need the FG's for comfort, and make FG's correct angle and depth for your particular hand - not "one size fits most".

Back