Talk to me about 940 QC

Wow! Thanks everyone so much for the thoughts and advice! I'm relieved that this didn't sprout any animosity or hard feelings.

Here's a follow up question:
Say you get an off center 940 with blade play. You correct the centering and tune out the play. Are people's experiences that the centering and play stay corrected? Or is it more like something that kind of shifts back after a while?

Sometimes the centering is off and you can correct it, but sometimes it's off because the blade itself is not straight. If I get a knife that's off, I send it in for Life Sharp service and let the pros sort it out. They usually find a few other issues that need attention.

Let me start by saying I really like Benchmade knives and there excellent customer service but the 940 QC in a word stinks. The 940 is probably my favorite knife so don't think I'm bashing. I currently have 3 variants but the qc is awful. Especially on this model. I can't tell you how many 940-1's I've been through recently just to send them all back. Issues range from crappy centering (can fixed but comes right back),ridiculously uneven grinds on the cutting edge(wont even get into the rest of the blade grinds), bad lock stick, and lock rock. The most recent issue I have seen on numerous ones is washers that wont sit flush to the blade/liners. They have some issue going on with tolerances that I cant seem to figure out despite countless adjustments. This makes it virtually impossible to dial out blade play as there is always going to be some wiggle room obviously. Yes they have excellent customer service and I'm sure they will fix any issue you have but you shouldn't have issues on a brand new $150+ knife. Again I love Bencmade and my 940s but there qc on this particular model stinks. If you want one I highly suggest going somewhere you can handle one and select the one with the least flaws unless you want to go through the customer service scenario. Especially if your are used to CRK quality.

Reactions: Mo2
Wow! Thanks everyone so much for the thoughts and advice! I'm relieved that this didn't sprout any animosity or hard feelings.

Here's a follow up question:
Say you get an off center 940 with blade play. You correct the centering and tune out the play. Are people's experiences that the centering and play stay corrected? Or is it more like something that kind of shifts back after a while?

Play should stay if you use red Loctite. Blue will gradually come loose. Its my experience that centering usually returns to where it was or at least close with use.

Of the several knives that I've "re-centered" I don't think that any of them have returned to an off-center condition. As stated earlier, the only BM knife I couldn't correct was my 940-1 which seemed to have a warped blade. (I do have a Shiro Hati that's just a taste off, but those knives have such ridiculously high tolerances that there's no correcting that.)

As far as blade play goes, I've always been able to dial in any knife to eliminate play and get the action where I want it. Again, I'll let the knife break in a bit before worrying too much about getting it just so. Sometimes a little washer polishing or slight stock removal is helpful. I never had any up-and-down play in an AXIS lock knife, though with considerable effort I can force a little in my de-assisted M390 full-size Barrage.

I prefer not to LocTite any pivots. Most knives I have stay pretty well, but a few will drift loose rather easily and these get blue LocTited. It's important to have a clean, lube-free pivot before LocTiting and to let the glue set before any use but the initial test. I've not had blue LocTite let go. Both my CRK 25 and 'Zaan will drift a bit over time, but I'd rather just adjust them back after a half-dozen or more carries than deal with a bunch of LocTite.

Back