Talk to me about Knives and Pocket Organizers

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chronovore, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It's not as big and bulky as it looks.
    You just have to be smart about utilizing the space that's there while adding as little additional bulk as possible.

2. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    I see what you did there (ahem).

My solution is to spend 5 minutes with a sewing machine and to stitch a seam up my right rear pocket on all my pants. About 1.5" from the outer edge from the bottom and about 2.5" up.

This rear pocket keeps a large folder sitting upright along the outer edge of the pocket.

Carried here, the knife can't be felt when sitting. It's generally invisible, particularly if you wear Dickies or similar. It's also very easy to access the knife here.

I regularly carry a Buck 110 like this, to give you an idea of size capability of this approach.

Chronovore likes this.
  3. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    I picked up this cheap $15 dollar job on Amazon just to get the feel for how these type of things worked for me. I prefer going with a craftsman whenever possible with these types of items, and I do plan to look into Hitch & Timber or similar at some point, but for the price I thought this was a good option if just for research before making a larger investment. I really only need it as a place to stow my traditional carry knife for any given day (I keep a modern folder clipped in my rf pocket), and the less bulky the better for me. So far it has worked well, and I've carried it daily since buying. It has an extra pocket that I use for keeping my key fob from being loose in the pocket and a pen loop which I don't use because I prefer to keep my pen clipped elsewhere. One thing I like about this one that I might dislike in a more substantial one is that it is flexible. I can slightly bend it in the middle allowing the knife to be towards the back of my pocket more on the side of the leg while the rest curves around my leg. This makes it print much less than if it were just a stiff rectangle (not sure if I explained that well). I carry this in my left (weak hand) pocket for reference.

[​IMG]

DB_Cruiser and number9 like this.
  4. Roamad

Roamad

Feb 1, 2016
    Here’s one I made from scrap leather. No sewing required. It’s just woven together with paracord through holes punched in the leather (small cuts would work as well if you don’t have a hole puncher). Here it’s shown with a disposable lighter, firesteel and a single-AA flashlight. I rotate what I carry in it as needed, often including an SAK Farmer or a small lockblade. The whole thing vanishes in a front pocket.

[​IMG]

Another thought for your buddy is to hang a knife inside a front pocket from a tether attached to a beltloop or belt. I do this as well, sometimes, as I can’t stand a heavy knife loose in my pocket.

Stelth and Chronovore like this.
  5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I'll add that the same thing can be accomplished with a safety pin or two. Not nearly as permanent and can be removed in seconds. I have a few pairs of pants I do this to in the LRP so I can carry a slim but tall MT there.

I'm going to bet that it works just the same as with a traditional, you just have the option of a clip as well.

6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Of course.
    I just don't know at what size would work best, but I suppose it depends entirely on the person and what else is carried in it.

7. number9

number9 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Sometimes I wish it was MORE of a hassle. "One click and it's mine" can get expensive.

8. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    The micro fits in back pockets very easily. Actually, it fits easily in the front pockets of pants like the 5.11 type. Maybe his hands are just small.:)
    [​IMG]

Ace Rimmer and Stelth like this.
  9. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Here is the little Quick Draw I use for a Bic lighter and mini multi-tool. They make a few different designs. This material is thinner and more flexible.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/736470499/the-quickdraw-mini-edc-slip-case

I don't care about pen loops either. I always wear shirts with pockets. That is where my pen and Field Notes live.

Knives&Lint likes this.
  10. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    The pocket-shaped ones are going to work better, even though they're harder to find. Rectangular orgs (like everything from MaxP, unfortunately) gradually rotate inside your pocket, until they jam against your leg or something, like trying to carry a couch up a flight of stairs.

Get the thinnest, most minimalist one that you can find. Skinth makes a quality product, but they're very bulky, once inside your pocket. You start adding flaps and zippers, and you will end up pulling the whole thing out every time you want to trim a hangnail.

Do not give in to the temptation to over-accessorize! What's in your pocket without the organizer is what should go in the organizer, and nothing more. It's easy to think that more pockets equals more better, but it just makes it impossible to retrieve anything that you put in there. The rest of it goes in your Vanquest or Saddleback messenger bag.

Roamad likes this.
  11. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    You guys talked me into this. I've been looking for something to carry my mini tools and this is perfect. Left to right: ceramic rod, Opinel mini steel, Channellocks, Crescent wrench, Vice Grips, Victorinox Tinker, pencil. Paper in back and rechargeable LED flashlight at top. (All the tools are name brand.) Room for more; I may put a small Rough Rider lockback in one of the pockets. :D

[​IMG]

12. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Little Vice-Grips are the best!

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  13. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I put a mini first aid kit in one of the back pockets of mine

comis, Ace Rimmer and GB940Rookie like this.
  14. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Great idea!

15. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks.

It’s not much. I figured why pull out a full-fledged first aid kit with all I need is something minor.

How many times have you opened up a first aid kit only to find all the kit for minor injuries is gone? Having a mini first aid kit as part of my EDC bag Can keep things like this from happening.

I still go through and inspect the aid bag and first aid kits twice a year. In October and in May (my anniversary and birthday).

Ace Rimmer and comis like this.
  16. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Same here

17. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    After seeing Knives&Lint post a picture of his, I went and bought the larger one. I think it's listed as "XL", cost about $16
    It's 100% leather and will fit two medium sized knives perfectly ( or a knife and flashlight/small multi-tool).
    You can probably go up to a Buck 110 , it does fit.

SHEATH2.jpg

18. Jordan@DLT

[email protected]

Jul 22, 2014
    I carry my Hitch and timber every day, usually the Lambfoot or the #62 for the knife slot.

[​IMG]