Talking about the "trio"

The Nessmuk trio is a well known standard of carry for the wild. I have tried it in various forms and come up with my own preference, which isn't even a trio!

Nessmuk's classic pattern utilizes a small to medium fixed blade knife, a folder, and a double bitted belt axe with two different grinds. I depart from the classic in every instance-

First, there's the axe. I vastly prefer a decent chopping hawk with a good hammer poll. Since my time in the wild often includes actual camping, the hammer poll comes in very handy. It's also useful for wild country or rural EDC type carry- I've often used my CS hawk to hammer nails in the yard or at a remote jobsite I worked at. The primary thing lost is the fine ground edge on the nessmuk double bit. But as we'll see, that's not such a loss, in the end.

Second I want to address the folder- I see this as a very useful item. If I had to lose everything but one, in all honestly I *might* want it to be the Victorinox Outrider that I keep.

In most modern circumstances- from at home or bug out disaser utility, to woodcraft, it's a winner. The scissors are - if not essential- very very useful. Probably the most used item on any SAK I own. Then there is the saw. Being on a lock blade SAK, it's a touch longer than the 90mm SAKs, and very useful. The corkscrew, bottle opener, can opener all get used often in regular every day life and all came in very handy last winter when the power went out for several days. I use the phillips and regular screwdrivers pretty much daily, as well.

I sometime go with a leatherman type tool, as well, and it wouldbe hard to go without pliers of some sort, but if I had to, I'd take the outrider.

Nessmuk's trio finishes with the classic nessmuk knife. Here is where I end up with a trio of four. The first part is a larger fixed blade. There are several reasons why I choose a 5.5 inch leuku pattern bushcrafter here- first is food prep. And really, honestly, a huge amount of what you do in camping, hiking, and outdoorsy stuff that lasts more than an hour deals with food. I'm a lot happier processing food with a slightly larger knife and a thin spine.

It's also big enough to chop effectively, can baton through anything, and makes up for that lost fine grind bit on the hand axe.

Because of the SAK - whose blade I don't really care for for whittling, and the size of the leuku, I add the fourth element to the trio. In the past, and even now in the shop, I've carried a necker that is very small and light- I love it dearly and it's a fine patch knife and general cutting knife. But I'm working out a neck version of a small woodcraft, or carving knife. I think something with a solid handle and a 2.5 inch blade is ideal here, and adds the finishing touch to a set of tools that could take me through a homestead in the bush, if need be. This is also the only place I really prefer a scandi grind.

I am not a big axe guy, or a necker wearer, but the SAK and the leuku are standards. I like the functionality from kitchen to campsite, to work setting of the SAK and the leuku works well everywhere except work! I have a little landscaping gig on the side and the leuku works well cutting roots, twine, whatever I need it to do. I used it to plane a doorframe last year and it stayed sharp the entire 3+ hours I needed it.

Nessies are great. I am not a hunter and have never skinned anything (I'm willing to learn though) I just like the look and the way I can hold the blade between my thumb and fingers to scrape and mince.

It's hard to argue with the Sears trio, but I often end up with a different 3 tools.

I'd have to agree that a SAK replaces the Nessmuk folder. A SAK is too versatile to be without. Typically I'm redundant with a SAK and a Leatherman or Gerber tool. If I had to choose, it would be the SAK.

I like a fixed blade in the 4-5" range. Typically I use a drop point or spear point. I have a small (4") Puukko that does see good service. A good large folder might fill in the gap here.

I've never used a 'Nessie' but the design looks fairly useful. Leuku looks more useful. It's funny, I've owned a Leuku from Norway for about 24 years, but never used it. :eek: I think it seems too big for backpacking and if I'm car camping I carry an axe.

I've never used a double-bit axe. Seems unnecessary, although I understand the theory behind it. I sometimes take a 'hawk or hatchet, but often leave a chopper at home to save weight. Nothing beats a felling axe if traveling by canoe or truck.

So despite my love of axes, my wilderness trio is: SAK, Multitool, and 4-5" fixed blade.

Of course, that's for northern forests. When I was in Africa, my kit was a SAK and a machete. I suppose the tool kit gets modified for the environment and expectations.

I love the nessmuk knife for some things. The smaller ones I make seem to work very well as EDCs, neckers, and small game knives. I just find I prefer the leuku pattern for bushcrafting for a few reasons.

There's that word in there- crafting. I tend to want the draw knife advantages, the flat scraper, and such things.

I do prefer a slightly dropped edge on my nessies, regardless of size.

Leuku looks more useful. It's funny, I've owned a Leuku from Norway for about 24 years, but never used it. :eek: I think it seems too big for backpacking and if I'm car camping I carry an axe.

I can understand that. I have a Jarvenpaa leuku that's great slicing up watermelon. :)

They do make the pattern in approx. 5" versions, too, which is great for people with big hands but shorter blade needs: http://www.ragweedforge.com/AhtiCatalog.html (fourth knife down).

Nice link Esav. (I book marked it ;).) I have a Helle Futura with a 4" blade that is essentially a half-pint Leuku.

Chistof --

When you say 'dropped edge' on your Nessmuk style knives, what exactly do you mean? I didn't quite follow you there. Drop point?

I was reading my Kephart last night and noticed he had pretty strong feelings about carrying a Tomahawk or Hatchet. Really emphasized the superior chopping ability over a "heavy hunting knife." No proper 'woodsman' would be caught without one, etc....

I find it fascinating that despite being nearly 100 years old, his advice is largely on the mark.

well the blade as a whole drops below the handle level-

59-1.jpg

pocket nessie:
61-1.jpg

Another not very hump backed drop edge

76-1.jpg

And a more or less traditional pattern I did for a raffle- not what i would call a dropped edge.

65-1.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I'm with ya now. Sort of like a chef's knife. A lot of power in the heel of the blade like that.

I like my Bushcrafter either the old Mora or maybe now one of my newer purchases and a locking folder with a pretty versatile blade, my multi tool (Swiss Tool) a good solid slippie in my left pocket, a good solid locking frame lock of some kind on my right pocket and a single bit camp axe. I prefer ones with one side a hammer/flat so I can use it to split wood easier. I do this by carrying my other handy dandy tool, a portable mini splitting maul/sledge no bigger in foot print than my camp axe but it does weigh much more. The small splitting maul/sledge is a lot to carry on a long hike but perfect for the camp site and between it and the small camp axe I can make the axe work much bigger than it is to make short work of nice sized logs for the fire in no time flat.

It seems to me that even when I have a big fixed blade its not often used much. Sometimes I've not even unsheathed it the entire weekend. Maybe I just don't see the need since most of the stuff I would use that for is chopping and the axe seems to work fine for me on that. Sitting stream side or when planning to fish some I'll have a good fillet knife somewhere handy also. Anymore I also carry some super glue to work in a pinch for a quick bandaid in the field.

STR

Back