1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tan/Black G10 Color Variations

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by kcwater, Apr 15, 2016.

1. kcwater

kcwater

May 29, 2015
    In operation 2 weeks, we've seen a lot of blades shown in black with tan/black g10. Some of the tan g10 looks very tan, while others look almost white. I know that all of the knives shown haven't shipped yet, so this is mostly speculation, but do you think there is actually any color difference in the tan/black g10 from one blade to another, or is this just lighting?

Example 1: Battle Shark vs. Pork Chop. These seem to have the same handle and the same background, but the color looks very different.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Example 2: Huck vs. Hognose Sword. Again, basically the same handle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My guess is that the tan is always the same tan, and lighting is the changing factor.

2. Demon613

Demon613

Oct 13, 2010
    I'll find out firsthand.

10 of my 14 O2W blades are Tan and Black G10

3. ExtraBaconPlease

ExtraBaconPlease

Mar 8, 2016
    Yup pretty sure it's just the lighting

4. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I have a half a dozen or so knives with Black and Tan G10, and they all look the same, color-wise. It seems to me more an off white than tan.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  5. The Hobbiest

The Hobbiest

Mar 17, 2016
    Definitely just lighting differences in the op's photos. According to owners of said handle color they are indeed more offwhite/black. For those wanting a true tan/black try to find knives with the Desert Storm (tan/black/grey) colorway.

6. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    By the difference in the black and tan rings in the patterns of some of the handles it kinda seems like maybe they are using a thicker tan layer than the black layer. I'm not 100% but I could swore that the layers were equal in thickness on one of the tglb's I had.

7. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Found a few old pics and this one was the best representation of how my black and tan looked in person. Mine definitely wasn't off white looking. It looks like the black layers were acutally a little thinner than the tan, but the tan looked darker to me. Maybe a thinner tan layer let the black show thru and gave it a darker appearance?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. StealthCaliber

StealthCaliber

Jul 20, 2006

9. Ian80

Ian80 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I have two tan and black g10 handles. There is a little variation in them. One seems more tan the other a little more greenish? It's not a big difference and both are really cool!

10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    The exposure and lighting in the Busse pics about (the Crew's sale pics) are all different so are effecting the appearance (look at the difference in the colour of the same background as a basis for the variation). I have LOTS of B&T G10 from Busse, all looks generally like Black and White/Grey for the most part, a couple appear to have a bluish hue but I think that is just the blending of layers. I when you put B&T under a known Degrees Kelvin light (5600 I think) and photograph it you can actually see it as Tan (I have a pic that captures this), but mostly black and white appearing.