Tanto Dominator Questions

Just ordered one from Mary Beth at New Graham. But I'm a lefty. How easy (or not) would it be to convert the clip to left-handed, tip-up? Is this configuration advisable? Are there safety concerns as in a tip-up version of the Cuda Maxx? Anyone experience a mis-fire of the opening? Or an unwanted opening? Would a foldover, deep carry clip work on this little honey?

u will have to drill and tap the handle... if u r not an expert, get one to do it for u.

as for misfires, if u don't give the flipper a firm push, the blade may not open up totally, but a small flick of the wrist will get it open and locked. the spring assists in keeping the blade closed too. the Dominator is a very good design IMO.

Lost Jaguar,

You can flip the clip to tip down, left hand carry by using a number 8 or possibly a number 10 button head cap screw and a nut. Get a screw 3/8” or ½” long and use it through the large hole in the original clip and the hole in the handle for a lanyerd. Place the nut (you might need a jam nut instead of a regular nut, it is not as thick) between the handle slabs and screw it all together. I did this for a while to see if I would like tip down better than tip up. It worked fine without having to make any permanent modifications to the knife. As long as you tighten the screw down well, you shouldn’t have any problems with the clip rotating. If you find you like this, you can always tap the handle for the screws and use the original clip or the deep pocket carry clip from knifekits.com. If I have measured the screws correctly, they are a #3 size, which is rather uncommen, and unless you have some experience in tapping steal or stainless steel in these small sizes, I would recommend having it done by someone with experience. It is very easy to break taps this small. If you break the tap, it is usually very difficult to remove it without an EDM machine to burn it out. Hope this helps.

Richard

Here is a link to the deep carry clip:
http://www.knifekits.com/store/s-pages/kk_store_1mainframe.htm?kk_products_parts_main.htm~smain

Thanks to all for the responses. Richard--that general concept had occurred to me, so I appreciate the details.

Back