Tanto knife sharpening question

Dear all,

Usually I sharpen my drop point blade, when knife with Tanto style, I would like to know more before i start doing it.

I have spyderco sharp maker, so questions of my concern is following:

Do you sharpen your tanto blade (2 cutting serface) seperately or you sharpen tanto still with one stroke?

will the one stroke sharpen technique round the angle edge point?

I am afraid if sharpen seperately will come un-equal sharp edge, also afraid if i sharpen by one stroke will round the edge angle point.

Which is correct way to sharpen it??

I would sharpen it like a drop point except instead of rotating, I would take the knife edge off the stone, then rotate, then sharpen the "tanto edge". I am only making an assumption never actually sharpened a tanto, just giving my best guess.

ARe you talking about a tanto with a Chisel edge. If so I heard you are pretty much supposed to sharpen them just like a wood chisel. I have been meaning to ask the question as to whether someone like Joe Talmadge or Ed Schempp might have an old thread here on BF or elsewhere on the proper sharpening of Chisel Edges that you just sharpen on one side. I am sure there might be a couple of valid methods for doing so.

oh come on..you dont need a sharpmaker for that..tantos are easiest to learn to sharpen on. Treat it as 2 edges. If you treat it as one, you'll round the transition

Should you sharpen the big edge then the same side of the smaller edge, then the other side of the edge. That is how I would assume the best way would be. OR do you sharpen the longer edge, going back and forth between sides, and then do the same for the small edge?

I meant take one stroke on the regular edge, then one on the tanto edge, then otherside of regular edge, otherside of tanto. basically how you would sharpen a drop point except taking the knife up of the stone when rotating wrist.
Or
Sharpen the regular edge and then the smaller edge.

I never meant not alternating sides. Raising a burr is only really useful if you are not getting anywhere while trying to reprofile a blade.

The classic TANTO design is one of the few knife blade designs that was not covered in either the "Razor Edge Book Of Sharpening" or in Spyderco's 204 Sharpmaker video/DVD. But there are really 3 different tantos that I have in my collection and all 3 of them do require a different sharpening regimen.

For instance the Spyderco C-46 Tanto folder has an entirely different edge with the "Hamaguri" or "Appleseed" grind. Some of the older Classic Tantos are like the ones I mentioned on the post above. The ones line on the older Timberline fixed blades are to be sharpened on one side only. And I got that information from Timberline themselves. There are also hollow ground Tantos like the ones that Cold STeel makes which really are to be sharpened mostly like any conventional knife.

I very respectfully petition that Mr. Glesser and Mr. Juranitch need to add addendums to their books and videos and hopefully cover all of these tanto edges. There are just too many of these great folders out there to be ignored or pushed to the side.

Especially the Hamaguri ( Appleseed) grind. Much more needs to be known about sharpening "convex" edges of this type.