Tanto/Kwaiken Suggestions Please

Hello everybody, I've desired a tanto/kwaiken style blade for a while now. I check out several retailers new items almost daily and still haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm picturing a fixed blade with a hollow grind on the main bevel and a flat grind on the tip. I'd really like it to be 20cv although I don't own anything in magnacut yet and that seems like all the rage recently. I could definitely be convinced to go with that. I've contacted several makers from BF and haven't received the answers I was hoping for. The maker I really wish would make it told me he makes hunting knives and to check with others. My second choice told me he could work with 20cv but has not before. I'm hesitant to spend a lot on a learning process for him. A few others seemed receptive to my ideas but for various reasons such as geography (Russia) I passed. Ideally I'd love to support a maker from BF.

Can the hive mind suggest a maker that checks these boxes?

Maybe Phillip Patton Phillip Patton ?
If you can move past the 20CV, you'll open your doors alot more.
David Mary David Mary might give it a shot.

I think I've seen Jake Hoback make a few tantos as well. There were some controversy surrounding him, so do your research and decide for yourself.

Good luck!

Edit: I think menem menem make that style as well

I really don't want to appear to be throwing Phillip Patton Phillip Patton under the bus because I really like his style! But he was the one that told me he was willing to work with 20cv but had not yet. Otherwise it would be on my belt by now. In the most respectful way possible, I do not wish to be part of a learning curve with an expensive ( at least to me) custom. Am I just being too sensitive?

I'll check with the others.

Check out Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works.

They offer a hollow grind tanto. It's incredibly sharp, and the heat treatment is spot on. It is however, 5160 and the styling may not be what you're after.

This is mine, last knife on the right:

Nl6Jd0A.jpg

Last edited:
Check out Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works.

They offer a hollow grind tanto. It's incredibly sharp, and the heat treatment is spot on. It is however, 5160 and the styling may not be what you're after.

This is mine, last knife of the right:

Nl6Jd0A.jpg
I am pretty set on 20cv, possibly 204p, or magnacut. 5160 might not love my life style of fishing, kayaking, being outdoors in the rain frequently. The more stain resistant the better. Im not seeking a hard use knife. I have a hatchet and an ax. I want something to slice with and holds an edge for as long as possible. I'm not as well versed as some (most?) others here but I think I've done my homework on this. I own some m390 and really like it a lot. But I want to toss some dollars around a little closer to home. I'm also thinking I want a full custom one of one to my specs.
Yeah I know. I can be somewhat difficult. But it's what I want.

Last edited:
Ben Tendick makes some really nice examples using 3V. His subforum on here has been quiet, but he's very active on Instagram.

I really don't want to appear to be throwing Phillip Patton Phillip Patton under the bus because I really like his style! But he was the one that told me he was willing to work with 20cv but had not yet. Otherwise it would be on my belt by now. In the most respectful way possible, I do not wish to be part of a learning curve with an expensive ( at least to me) custom. Am I just being too sensitive?

I'll check with the others.
I have full faith in Phillips skills....I commissioned his first DamaSteel knife and that's a pricey piece of metal...
Have no worries if he isn't able he'd say so......If he's willing go for it.....

Phillip Patton Phillip Patton is a master!!!👍👍👍

Not trying to tell you what to go for, but my advice would be to go with something that has higher toughness than 20CV. I spend a lot of time in rainy woodland and in my kayak on various lakes / rivers around SW PA. Never had an issue with carbon steels or high alloy tool steels rusting.

But even just focusing on stainless, I’d go for something like AEB-L or 14C28N for their toughness. Least tough I’d recommend is Elmax. For an outdoors-oriented tanto blade, that is.

Regardless, I hope you find what you’re looking for! I second the recommendation for posting a WTB thread.

Your description actually sounds pretty much like the original Cold Steel tanto. You can find them in a variety of steels (San Mai, for instance) and lengths.
:thumbsup: I believe this is exactly what he is looking for, type of compound ground, some how known as "americanized tanto" because of the sharp transition between the tip and the edge.
They can be straight tip or curved, both very utilitarian profiles from my experience. I'm intentionally not mentioning the "spanto" configuration.
Cold Steel have amazing folders and fixed models and IMO OP will not go wrong with whatever suits him, or order one from the respectful knifemakers mentioned already.

Hollow grind slightly Curved primary edge, Straight, Flat grind tip:
29XdLr.jpg

Hollow grind straight primary edge, Curved, Flat grind tip (Spiderco PM2)
sN1svw.jpg

Classic Japanese Flat grind profile (sort of...)
8td4.jpg

You might want to talk with Paul at CPE knives. I just received a tanto style knife in magnacut from him. I wanted magnacut for the snow/rain I spend lots of time in. The knife is great and he was really nice to deal with.

You might want to talk with Paul at CPE knives. I just received a tanto style knife in magnacut from him. I wanted magnacut for the snow/rain I spend lots of time in. The knife is great and he was really nice to deal with.
Definitely! I meant to get in touch with him a few weeks ago and got sidetracked. I've been watching the fixed blades by maker here daily for more than a year, maybe even 2 by now. It's been a while. I'm mostly familiar with the usual suspects that hang around there.

POCEH KOCEB POCEH KOCEB my first non gas station knife was a Kershaw 1/2 ton with a spanto blade. I have a soft spot for them but not this time. All of those are close to what i had in mind, other than custom. I want to buy this one from a bladesmith not a multinational corporation. I love what their doing and want them to be able to contine doing it!

This thread is going great! Thank you everyone.

Back