Tanto Spike or Secret edge ?

I'm not really a neck knife guy. I bought a couple of Izula two's and a Becker over the years which I consider outdoor back ups. I have however been wondering now and then about a discrete city neck hang. Anyone here have an opinion on the Tanto Spike and or the Secret Edge ? Pros/cons. I have zero desire to get both as this is a peripheral interest. I have a Kobun but it is just too big for my objectives of discretion. Thanks.

I own a Secret Edge. Blade and sheath are spot on for discreet carry. My only concern is that there is no guard to stop the hand from sliding onto the blade in a hard stab or thrust. The handle material is textured and there are three holes that aid in the grip but a guard sure would make me feel better if I ever had to use it in a defensive role.

The Spikes are ok but the handles just feel too slim in my hands. Kind of like a pencil.

An alternative suggestion to the above knives are the Mini Tac Tanto or Bowie. Now we're cookin' with fire!!! These blades have great handles (with guard) and awesome blades and are just as easy to carry, concealed or not, as the other knives mentioned.

It can be tricky replying to these threads on a phone from work, lol. I pooched this one up a bit.

Ugh, I hate these threads. Never paid much attention the the Secret Edge before, but now... hmmm.

Counter Tac has appeal but double edge is a no-go unfortunately.

I wear my Secret Edge almost daily for hiking. It sits flat against my chest and doesn't show. Sometimes I forget that I have it on.

I looked at the Tanto Spike, but ordered a Drop Point Spike just this morning. It has been discontinued and is discounted by some vendors. I also ordered a CS Chaos Stiletto, also discontinued and discounted. I'm usually slow to order new knives because I really have way more than I have a practical need for, but I also keep my eyes peeled for discontinued models and order them before it's too late.

I was looking at a Secret Edge, and it could use a bit more grip. If I get one, I will take a large dremel drum and grind in some indentations along the handle between the holes. I did the same thing with some Hold Outs and it worked nicely.

I'm not really a neck knife guy. I bought a couple of Izula two's and a Becker over the years which I consider outdoor back ups. I have however been wondering now and then about a discrete city neck hang. Anyone here have an opinion on the Tanto Spike and or the Secret Edge ? Pros/cons. I have zero desire to get both as this is a peripheral interest. I have a Kobun but it is just too big for my objectives of discretion. Thanks.
:) Sorry to be late to the game and not really addressing your question , but the Cold Steel Mini-Tac Skinner is an interesting little knife , for a necker or small fixed hideout shoved into your waistband with a ripcord tether to pull off the sheath in a hurry .

I didn't much like it before I modded it a bit . I generally prefer much larger knives , fixed or folding . But sometimes , even I might need something sneaky .

I added a Alan Folts Minimalist inspired fob to help the small grip ...and it works wonders ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pictured with my Kindle : :rolleyes:

The mini tac skinner is super thin and slicy.
Its not bulky, somewhat flat but more
importantly, it a light package that doesn't
feel like a padlock around the neck .
The integral subhilt finger guard makes for
a very very secured forward grip.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-is-the-purpose-of-a-sub-hilt.925389/
The secret edge doesn't have the most
comfortable grip.
It would have been nice if it had a handle
like the crkt ag russell sting.
Always favored the spike over the secret
edge. Its something that won't lead to
sudden accidental deployment surprises.

Last edited:
When I need ultimate concealibility these are my choice. The cord actually works for me and is so much easier to conceal than the newer plastic handled ones. I can strap/carry these almost anywhere plus they are quite good looking I think. Getting harder to find though, trying to get the complete set.

IMG_3644 - Copy.jpg

When I need ultimate concealibility these are my choice. The cord actually works for me and is so much easier to conceal than the newer plastic handled ones. I can strap/carry these almost anywhere plus they are quite good looking I think. Getting harder to find though, trying to get the complete set.

View attachment 1168433

The Spike Scimitar was easily the best of that series.... you NEED to find one....

I have a whole set NiB in my knife room, just wish I had ended up with a second set to hang on to.....I have a user set, and a keeper set.... lot of people talk about the thick spines and less than perfect steel on the older versions.....but I still VASTLY prefer the older versions to the newer versions....

My Drop Point Spike went overboard the other day. I was leaning on a dock rail, wearing the knife around my neck when it slipped out of the sheath and fell quite a distance to the beach. Fortunately the tide was out, so I was able to climb down and retrieve it off of the rocks below. It received a small chip on the blade, but otherwise OK. The problem is the sheath does not hold the knife tightly enough. So I removed the neck chain and now carry it in my waist band. I tried a small tie wrap around the sheath, but it wasn't enough to secure it.

The Spike Scimitar was easily the best of that series.... you NEED to find one....

I have a whole set NiB in my knife room, just wish I had ended up with a second set to hang on to.....I have a user set, and a keeper set.... lot of people talk about the thick spines and less than perfect steel on the older versions.....but I still VASTLY prefer the older versions to the newer versions....
Knife Room?

.......yea.... I have an addiction LOL..... and I'm 50, and I've been collecting knives since I was about 12....

I keep my knives in ( currently ) 5 rolling tool boxes, the 8 and 12 drawer type from Lowe's.....cobalt brand...

I call it the knife room.... there are some swords, a few axes and spears, a mace or two.....some other odds and ends... but the vast majority of it is filled with my knives.

Back